Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

i went with a backup camera on the TV for hooking up solo, then went second camera on back of camper as a rear view, the camera is powered from the running lights, the RCA is run up to the 7 way plug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back up.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	20351  

64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Lots of good suggestions here. To which I would add:
Fire up a Coleman gas lantern when you first get there. The dual mantle ones can throw an incredible amount of light and should give you what you need if you position it properly.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #13

Thanks for the suggestions!

I appreciate all the great suggestions to my original problem. Itís nice to know that I am not alone on this one!

I had thought of lining the way (airport style) with a bunch of cheap LED flashlights, or getting a couple of red tipped flashlights like they use on the aircraft carriers in the movie "Top Gun" (I don't think my wife would wear the neat helmet that the crew wore as it might mess up her hair).

Night parking will be more the norm during the next few months, as we plan to camp through the winter here in Alabama. So a good solution is needed if we intend to "dry camp" in less developed campgrounds.

The radio suggestion was good, and is on my short list because my wife and I could not hear each other due to the distances between us, and engine noise. Hand signals don't work well at night especially looking through a rear view mirror. I think radios will make the cuss words easier to figure out since I don't read lips well at night.

I am going to try and purchase and use one of those rechargeable spotlights (1,000,000 candlepower -- or is it 1 zillion). I figure if I we can light up the area, and my wife does not zap me with it and cause permanent blindness, then we ought to have a fighting chance.

A lantern of some sort may make it on the list as I need something to "run over" when I finally get close to parking it correctly.

Again, thanks!
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 200+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2016 = 194
Nights Camped 2017 = 30 as of Nov 18, 2017)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #14

Have not had the experience of having to do this as yet. If it comes up, I would jump into the trailer and turn on the scare lights on both sides. Plus the truck has a light on the back of the cab that lights up when backing. Then just rely on the wife and a good flashlight. (Probably the weak link in the plan!)

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Rebel...I can tell you that the scare lights won't do too much, and the cab light will do nothing at all for you. In the end, the wife and a flashlight got me in, but I still had to get out a number of times to make sure I didn't veer too close to the edge of my driveway. Good thing there's little traffic on my road, especially at 2am! Yeah...just hope you can avoid it completely.

Sounds like you're in for some fun there David. You'll definitely have to keep us posted as you go through your adventures in parking!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelTracer View Post
We use two-way radio's..for daytime also..

we like and use those also
or
the wife can hold a flashlight
making a lit line from the back
right up to the drivers side
where she wishes for you to go
just follow the lit line
Mountainman
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
we like and use those also

or
the wife can hold a flashlight
making a lit line from the back
right up to the drivers side
where she wishes for you to go
just follow the lit line

Mountainman

The "lit line" from the flashlight is a great idea...I'll have to keep that one in mind. The two-way radio's have been very helpful for us.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

2 way radios are great - my wife watches for anything I might get too close to. If you get out prior to backing up and look down the line your tires need to follow to end up where you should be, and then place 2 small flashlights on the ground (driver's side) 10' to 20' apart on that backup line and pointing perpendicularly to the line of travel (towards the passenger side), you can see the "line" you need to backup on. You need 2 points of reference to line up properly. Just watch the lights, and back up barely missing the lights. Good grief it's hard to convey what I want to.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
2 way radios are great - my wife watches for anything I might get too close to. If you get out prior to backing up and look down the line your tires need to follow to end up where you should be, and then place 2 small flashlights on the ground (driver's side) 10' to 20' apart on that backup line and pointing perpendicularly to the line of travel (towards the passenger side), you can see the "line" you need to backup on. You need 2 points of reference to line up properly. Just watch the lights, and back up barely missing the lights. Good grief it's hard to convey what I want to.
Makes a lot of sense....I like the idea of lights to help backing-up.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Current River Rat

The magnetic led lights on the bottom of the rear bumper on each side mark your corners real well.