Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #21

You should always survey the parking situation even if you have done it "A Million times". This way, especially with a partner, you can point out where you want to go and get a strategy in place.

I sometimes when by myself use my backup lights (but I have not always had them) before that I would tap lightly on my brakes and use the brake lights to illuminate the way.

By surveying the area first I always have a good idea as to what I will need to do. This happens to me alot so I have gotten good at it and can usually get my rig setup (good enough for sleeping) in less than 5 minutes and not make huge amounts of noise and finish setup in the morning!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #22

My mother said that after she sells her car, I can park my A frame popup in her garage. The only problem is she lives in the end unit of a townhouse complex, and her driveway is "L" shaped (dog leg).

Does anyone have experience backing up into a garage on an L shaped drive? Part of me thinks I should be able to get it "close" and push it in. Do they sell devices that would help me push it in? Any thoughts?
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
Mostly Harmless

If its level, a trailer dolly like Harbor Freight sells might work for you.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu
My mother said that after she sells her car, I can park my A frame popup in her garage. The only problem is she lives in the end unit of a townhouse complex, and her driveway is "L" shaped (dog leg).

Does anyone have experience backing up into a garage on an L shaped drive? Part of me thinks I should be able to get it "close" and push it in. Do they sell devices that would help me push it in? Any thoughts?
I do. I parked my popup in my garage. I would her as close as possible and the would use a tow dolly.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #25

If it's dark when we get to our spot. We pull out the rope light and lay it down the side. That way Rick knows right where to park. I do of course spot him if needed.
ldmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #26

Trying it again... tonight!

Well, we are going to try it again tonight!

I am armed to the teeth with the finest items Harbor Freight (HF) and eBay could provide!

I have a cheap spotlight (HF) that is not as powerful as I would have liked - I needed something that generates its light with nuclear fusion. It will have to do.

I found a neat LED camp light at HF that has a magnetic back. I am thinking that I'll try to stick it on to the bumper (where it will probably fall off and I can easily run over it.).

I've got a couple of cheap (HF) LED flashlights that will most likely not work when I turn them on.

I'm hoping that my set of "new" 11 year old FRS radios come in from eBay today. Of course, that depends on whether or not our postman decides to make the effort to deliver them to our house or somewhere else in the world.

I've given my wife numerous pep talks to build her skills and confidence ... She just rolls her eyes during our training sessions.

Armed with these tools, I hope to slide my trailer into the spot like a warm knife slices through butter.

We shall see...

Again, thanks for all the great suggestions!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post

I think that you said you have an A122 in previous posts. If it is unloaded (around 1860lb), the driveway is level, you get a Harbor Freight dolly, and you eat your "Wheaties" you should be able to move it. Is it long push after the "L"? If it is you better eat 2 bowls!

I know that I struggle moving my "camping ready" loaded A128s -- the way we keep it most of the time. (6'2" 220lb but really weak...)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
I think that you said you have an A122 in previous posts. If it is unloaded (around 1860lb), the driveway is level, you get a Harbor Freight dolly, and you eat your "Wheaties" you should be able to move it. Is it long push after the "L"? If it is you better eat 2 bowls!

I know that I struggle moving my "camping ready" loaded A128s -- the way we keep it most of the time. (6'2" 220lb but really weak...)
David,
I am about the same size, and I keep the A122 lightly loaded. So, it sounds like a do-able plan. Let us know how you parking goes tonight!
Tinsu
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #29

Quote:
David,
... Let us know how you parking goes tonight!
Tinsu
Well, it wasn't a good test. We got to the campsite while there was still some daylight. (It makes a world of difference!)

A couple of notes:

The Harbor Freight magnetic LED spotlight is really neat. It will stick firmly to the A128's bumper and is pretty bright. I believe that 2 of these would make good backup lights. (I wnat to buy a few more of these for both backing up and placing one or two in the camper for cabinets, etc.

Next time out will be a better test!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #30

Is this the LED spotlight?

Does the cord reach that far? Or does it run on batteries? If so, what kind?

12 Volt LED Mini Spotlight with Magnetic Base
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #31

Has anyone thought of those cheap glow sticks put on the ground where you want the drivers side of the trailer at? Could be like an airport runway..... If you can see them then you are good on that side. Not to bright that they blind you, but enough that you can see them. And you can get them pretty cheap and they are very light weight. I use them for a lot of things from on the black dogs collar at night to lighting paths at night while boondocking.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Is this the LED spotlight?

Does the cord reach that far? Or does it run on batteries? If so, what kind?

12 Volt LED Mini Spotlight with Magnetic Base

Sorry, I should have included the correct link:

27 LED Portable Worklight/Flashlight

Cheap... really cheap.. and bright!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmcmahan View Post
If it's dark when we get to our spot. We pull out the rope light and lay it down the side. That way Rick knows right where to park. I do of course spot him if needed.

+1

I also do this if there is no other light and actually keep the light coiled under my seat so it will be warm (lays flat) and easy to find. I pull up to the site - hop out for a quick check of the site, plug in the light and "string it" on my way back to the truck. Easy and fast. More than once I've discovered power pedestals that are dead this way and moved on to another site - much better that getting the trailer parked and THEN finding out the power is dead.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Knowing me, I would run over the lights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
+1

... More than once I've discovered power pedestals that are dead this way and moved on to another site - much better that getting the trailer parked and THEN finding out the power is dead.

Probably one of the posts I back into...

(Good suggestion....)