Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Backing It In - In the Dark!

I've really felt pretty good about backing my unit into camping spots since my first time out (a total disaster)!

This weekend, we went out to one of our favorite areas. It was dark when we arrived. I thought no problem. With my wife outside with a flashlight this should be a breeze.

I was wrong! My wife did everything correct. I thought I did everything correct. However, it was looking into a "black out". I must have backed all over the place. I was lucky that I did run not into a tree -- or the lake.

Note: This area of the campground had no lights at all.

Any suggestions for backing into a campsite at night!

David and Jo Ann G. (& Kenzie the Sheltie)
Prattville, Alabama
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 160+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2015 = 165
Nights Camped 2016 = 21 (as of Oct 16, 2016)
DGrissom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Have you tried the illumene sticks? I have some in my stuff, just in case. Lay them out where you need to stop, etc. to mark the spot. I do most of my backing without any help because DW is at work. I also find myself getting out of the tv myself and looking on how I need to make corrections. At home I have painted an orange L in the drive so I know where to put the left front corner of the tt. Hey, ex military, mind is always working on how to do things by myself. Been through Prattville a few times before the interstate was completed through Montgomery.

2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
We use two-way radio's..for daytime also..
2014 F150, Supercrew, 3.5L Eco-Boost, 3.73, Max Tow
2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670 BHS
TravelTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Mind is always working..just thought of another idea. If you are in an area where you have cellphone coverage and two of them, use them. Just select the speaker mode...we do have some radios but I don't often have them charged up. Something else I might need to do, just in case.
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
When we work M-F/ 8 to 5 and go for a weekend getaway, we are getting to the campsite at dark and sometimes very dark(no moonlight). We have a battery powered lantern I put on the passenger side edge of the campsite and my wife has a walkie-talkie and a flashlight, telling me how far back I can go & how I'm lined up in the campsite. Sometimes I get lucky and nail it the first time, but generally have to straighten up a few times.
2006 Rockwood 8272S
2005 Chevrolet Silverado
John & Pandra
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
On our first trip with our 35' TT we got to the campsite after dark and during a heavy thunderstorm. Got backed in and set up without issue which I attribute to rookie dumb luck. It was an initiation to be sure. We said then that we would laugh about it in the future... and we do!
2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CC
Banks tuner, airbox and filter
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
We are fortunate. On the toyhauler there are two spot lights mounted above the rear door. I just have to go inside and flip the switch and it is like having two head lights.
Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
many wire up backup lights that tie into the pigtail connector.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Now a "Top Member"
I know your pain on this one. I've only had to back in one time in the dark. And it was at 2am after a triple blow-out trip home. And it was in my narrow driveway on my narrow street. Normally a challenge anyway, the dark and other circumstances just made it worse. But I put all my faith in my wife and her directions, made many starts and stops, and even had to go around the block once to start all over. But I got it in, and vowed never to get into a situation where I have to back in in the dark again. Of course Murphy often trumps my wishes, but if it happens again, we'll just deal with it then. I am certainly not going to make a habit out of it.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Using a plug-in 12 volt spot light could help when you arrive.. to "look things over " first.. then a couple of those led battery powered camping lanterns placed as a guide to help.. should work...

2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote