Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

BAL Leveler disappointment

We have a 2015 Flagstaff T21QBHW. We used the BAL leveler many times last year but were never happy with it. It's not wide enough for the 14 inch camper tires even though it's advertised for tires up to 15 inches. (And no, our tires are not over-inflated The leveler would partially slide onto the tire but was not wide enough to completely surround it. Anyone else have this issue?
prairiegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegypsy View Post
We have a 2015 Flagstaff T21QBHW. We used the BAL leveler many times last year but were never happy with it. It's not wide enough for the 14 inch camper tires even though it's advertised for tires up to 15 inches. (And no, our tires are not over-inflated The leveler would partially slide onto the tire but was not wide enough to completely surround it. Anyone else have this issue?
I use the Bal leveler with my a214hw and I believe that has 15 inch wheels. I agree it looks a little bit funny the way the Wheel sets in the leveler. However it levels the camper just fine and eliminates the wobble. I've been using mine for 10 years and it works great. My advice is to just use it and don't worry about how the wheel looks in it. Just my two cents
steve02bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

Mine was also tight on my 14" wheels. I spread the "legs" out some and it fits fine. You might also try putting a 6" X 6" X 3/4" block under the tire to raise it some and it will fit.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Hello Prairiegypsy,

I think I understand what your concern is...

your statement - (The leveler would partially slide onto the tire but was not wide enough to completely surround it).

I have experienced this trait too. As you raise the BAL Leveler, the tire will move towards the outside (away from the camper) on the BAL leveler and potentially overlap the edge of the leveler that holds the tire. The leveler is wide enough to accommodate the tire. What I do to compensate for the issue is to ensure that when initially placing the BAL under the tire, I position the tire more to the back side/inside of the BAL leveler. When it raises, the extra space between the outside of the tire and the outside of the BAL compensates for the sliding action. This has eliminated, at least for me, the issue and my tire does not hang over the outside of the BAL leveler anymore.

Was kind of hard to put this into words. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

I took one look at that BAL leveler and said no thanks. I bought the Anderson leveler and it works great, shove it behind the tire and back up on it till level, works every time, nice and stable.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...70_&dpSrc=srch
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

We have 14" tires. Have had no issues with it. Very simple to use. So far so good.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegypsy View Post
..... It's not wide enough for the 14 inch camper tires even though it's advertised for tires up to 15 inches. ..... Anyone else have this issue?
The BAL is very popular in the small fiberglass trailer world, such as Casita's and Scamp's. Most Casita's have 15" tires and the trick is to spread the frame apart just a slight bit, after doing that our's worked great. I liked it so much that when we moved up to the Micro Lite 21DS, I bought two(for dual axles) and had no problem at all using them on the 14" tires. They are not intended to be used on dual axle trailers, but they worked great. Would still be using them, but we now have a Micro Lite 25KS and have gone to the Andersen leveler for the heavier trailer.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Received a BAL Leveler back in 2005 as a gift from our children and have used it ever since. Is clumsy and awkward, fits some tires fine and others not so fine but it does work.
Built well and have had no problems with ours over the past 13 years.
Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
OYO

What sundancer330 said: Anderson. Easy to use, easy to store.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #10

BAL leveler disappointment

Thank you to everyone responding to my post. You've given me some new ideas.
prairiegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

I also use the BAL with my A122BH, with I believe 14" tires. I love it!

It is a bit awkward to store, but I angle it inside the under-bed compartment and it fits pretty well.

I often camp by myself off-road, and it's super easy to just pull the camper around a bit until it's eyeball level in the mirror, then just jack it up as needed with the BAL.