Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

BAL leveler storage?

Where do you store your BAL leveler? Does it fit through any of the outside storage doors? I keep all my setup stuff in the drawer, but I'm guessing it does not fit in there.

I'm considering getting one. I could have really used it the last campsite we stayed in.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

When I had my popup, I just stored it just inside the door on the floor. Used it every trip, even if no leveling was needed, as it still functioned as a chock. I liked it but it gave us a bit of a work out to use with our heavy highwall popup.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

had one for the last 12 years....great on truly uneven sites...a pain when leveling 1 to 3 inches.
I now use 1x6 boards...a good small level ..pull back...insert..pull forward...and it's done.
don't get me wrong...it's a great tool for leveling...but a serious pain when breaking up out in the rain.
This is a major problem with this product.
dmo
Old 12-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

Would not leave home without our BAL Leveler. Quick, easy and reliable. We purchased a pizza bag on Amazon that we put our BAL in to store. We have an AFrame with the front storage compartment so storage is not an issue. I've heard that others just put it inside the door since it is the first thing needed when setting up camp.

I've found itnto be Easy to use no matter if leveling a few inches or 8-9 inches. It sets up fast and comes down fast so I don't have concerns about breaking camp in the rain. Everything is a pain in the butt when it is raining!!

In fact, we just purchased another BAL for our daughter for her AFrame for Xmas. By the way, there are two sizes of pizza bags on Amazon. Get the larger one. The smaller one will not be big enough for the BAL.

Hope this helps.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

Kept it in the front storage bin on my PUP. First thing out, last thing in. The simplicity and ease of leveling with the BAL will be among the things I miss most about camping with a PUP. Without a doubt, the best thing I ever bought for my trailer ... and nothing else was close.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

it always sits in the back of the frontier...a good to have just incase...but sorry to say ..to much effort when other things are just so much easier.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #7

I've always respected your opinion D-mo but guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Sounds like you agree a BAL is good to have for some leveling applications. I just happen to use it every time I do have to level from side to side. Different strokes for different folks!

2014 Rockwood A128S
Old 12-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

I love my BAL leveler, and I store it in the rear compartment via the side door. I have to angle it in, but it fits just fine.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #9

I looked at them but due to the size for storing I went with the Anderson leveler. The Andersons doesn't take much more space than a few wheel chocks, don't need a drill, simple quick drive on setup, side to side level in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...derson+leveler
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

We had one when we had our Popup - I belonged to another forum and one of the hot button topics was leveling - with or without the BAL leveler. Like gas or diesel... guaranteed to start an argument!

We kept ours in its original box in the truck and we used it every outing. After a while I started using a drill for the BAL... and the tongue jack... and to raise and lower the roof.

Fleetwood Sun Valley - Drill adapters

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

I love the BAL Leveler, ... used it on our Casita and liked it so much, when we moved up to a Micro Lite 21DS(dual axle), I bought another one and used the two of them to level it, using my cordless drill, ... when we went to the Micro Lite 25KS the load was a little too much, so I bought the Andersen Leveler and am happy with it, ... but still love the BAL, .....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
OYO

We're liking our Anderson. Probably two minutes and zero physical effort to setup. And it's about the size of a 12 pack.

But we have not used a BAL.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I love the BAL Leveler, ... used it on our Casita and liked it so much, when we moved up to a Micro Lite 21DS(dual axle), I bought another one and used the two of them to level it, using my cordless drill, ... when we went to the Micro Lite 25KS the load was a little too much, so I bought the Andersen Leveler and am happy with it, ... but still love the BAL, .....
I really wanted to keep using a BAL when we moved up to a double axle travel trailer. I thought about it A LOT...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
I really wanted to keep using a BAL when we moved up to a double axle travel trailer. I thought about it A LOT...

neat idea and I'm a gadget guy, so I could go for something like that, but on this one, no need to make it complicated, ... when using two BAL's on our Micro Lite 21DS, I would lay a 2' carpenters level across from one BAL to the other and then using my cordless drill would crank one up a little and then go over to the other one, back and forth, ... easy to do and the desired results was for them to be the same(level) when the trailer reached side to side level, ...

Old 12-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

Hey Tipper,

Bet you were not counting on getting all this "EXTRA" information when you were simply asking about storage of the BAL leveler!!

I think you have all the info now to make an excellent educated decision!!

Happy Holidays!!

Terry

2014 Rockwood A128S
Old 12-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

ssshhhh ... I'll try to be quiet .....

Hey Tipper,

Since Big Red Camper disproves of all that unnecessary "EXTRA" info posted above, I'll try to quietly tiptoe back into the thread without waking him up, ... and provide what maybe will be considered useful info this time, ... we carried our BAL and BALS in the truck bed(no big deal, right), but what I carried it/them in were cement mixing bags(link below), ... it was a perfect fit for the BAL, one for each unit, ... takes up less space than a pizza bag, and cost less also, ... I saw the pizza bags in use, but liked the cement bags, much better, ... an extremely heavy duty plastic bag(has to be cause its used to mix cement), ... anyway, just wanted to contribute something constructive, that BRC might approve of... that is IF he will allow it, cause he did say "you have all the info now" ....

happy trailer leveling w/your BAL, ....

https://www.amazon.com/Cement-Soluti...ent+mixing+bag

Old 12-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tipper View Post
Where do you store your BAL leveler? Does it fit through any of the outside storage doors? I keep all my setup stuff in the drawer, but I'm guessing it does not fit in there.

I'm considering getting one. I could have really used it the last campsite we stayed in.
Back to your question. It depends on the camper you have. I have a storage trunk in the front of mine and built a shelf to hold the Bal Leveler. The shelf is supported by 1X2 boards and sits just above the side hatch. It is covered with inexpensive door mat material.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #18

Awwww c'mon Fella.....don't be so serious. This is a great forum! So interesting when someone posts a question how many different answers, opinions and other information is shared. Wasn't trying to shut anyone or anything down.

I was just trying to make funny regarding how much info Tipper now had to make a decision. Hope ya understand.

Terry

2014 Rockwood A128S
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #19

I always laugh at the peculiar Forum phenomena about how far from the original question the answers become. It's not unique to this site either. Other forums I am on do it too. But I never mind because it's all entertaining to me.

But actually I did learn something. I ordered a Anderson leveler on Amazon Prime for $41. I had not seen them before. It seems like not much work. My only concern is that it takes two people to do it. And it seems the driver has to have a very fine touch on the gas to only make the trailer move a few inches at a time.

If I don't like it I'll get the BAL. I know there will be storage room for the Anderson, and if I do get a BAL, I'll be able to use the Anderson for other things.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #20

When I had the BAL for our popup I welded two posts on the front of the tongue. They were 1/2" rods about 4" high. The BAL leveler would then slip over the posts and a bungee cord keep it from bouncing around. I'll try to find an old pic.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage