Old 03-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #1

Battery disconnect switch

I have a 2017 Rockwood A214HW and Iím planning on adding a battery disconnect switch. When Iím out boonedocking and want to run my generator for ac, I donít want to run the risk of over charging my battery. Has anyone else added a switch or have any thoughts one way or the other?

RobBlakeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBlakeley View Post
I have a 2017 Rockwood A214HW and Iím planning on adding a battery disconnect switch. When Iím out boonedocking and want to run my generator for ac, I donít want to run the risk of over charging my battery. Has anyone else added a switch or have any thoughts one way or the other?
Rob, your converter is what charges your battery. It depends on what type converter you have, as to how well it recharges your battery. I am assuming you are simply just going to plug your RV into a generator as opposed to shore power.

I don't really see where you would have any problem connecting to a generator vs say leaving it connected to shore power most of the time...as the converter is what is going to be sending the battery charge either way. Do you know what brand/type converter you have in your RV?

These links may help:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Converter technology has come along ways and there are several now that are smart chargers and have different recharging capabilities depending on what the battery needs. But we would need to know what brand/type you have to know for sure.

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Rob, your converter is what charges your battery. It depends on what type converter you have, as to how well it recharges your battery. I am assuming you are simply just going to plug your RV into a generator as opposed to shore power.

I don't really see where you would have any problem connecting to a generator vs say leaving it connected to shore power most of the time...as the converter is what is going to be sending the battery charge either way. Do you know what brand/type converter you have in your RV?

These links may help:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Converter technology has come along ways and there are several now that are smart chargers and have different recharging capabilities depending on what the battery needs. But we would need to know what brand/type you have to know for sure.

Thanks for the info,I have the WFCO/WF-8735, your right I donít worry about it when Iím on shore power. Perhaps Iím just over thinking it.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #4

Adding a disconnect switch is a good idea for when your A-frame is not in use. The disconnect prevents the battery from being discharged by the constantly on stuff (propane/CO detector, stereo (preset and settings backup), and fridge control board.

I added a Marinco marine disconnect switch on the outside of the battery box, which is set up for 2 12V batteries (I now have 2 6V GC-2 Interstate batteries). There are simpler and cheaper automobile disconnect switches that fit directly on the battery post. But with the Marinco on the outside, I don't have to lift the cover to disconnect the batteries.

Your WFCO is not a good converter for keeping up your battery with a generator while boondocking or dry camping. The WFCO recharges too slowly, which increases generator run time to recharge the battery. If you do much boondocking or dry camping, you will want to replace the WFCO with the Progressive Dynamics 4135 replacement (I have done this, covered in another thread in the A-frame section).

Neither converter will overcharge the battery if operating correctly. Both have trickle charge modes (13.2V) that engage after being plugged in for about 44 hours.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Thanks Iíll have to do some more homework.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

First thing I do with any new rig is to install a battery disconnect on the negative side between the battery and the frame. Even if the unit came with one.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

I am going to be putting mine on the positive. The standard practice is the positive side. Either will work however.

When you have your rig worked on in the future or sell it, the next person working on it will assume the disconnect is on the positive. It's the 99% norm.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I am going to be putting mine on the positive. The standard practice is the positive side. Either will work however.

When you have your rig worked on in the future or sell it, the next person working on it will assume the disconnect is on the positive. It's the 99% norm.
Ummmm, I wouldn't say that's necessarily the norm, but as you stated, either side will work.

Mark Polk says negative:

and so does RV Four Seasons

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

If weíre taking a vote....

Remove or disconnect the negative lead first, therefore, put the disconnect switch on the negative side.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If weíre taking a vote....

Remove or disconnect the negative lead first, therefore, put the disconnect switch on the negative side.
That's when you remove a negative battery cable so you don't short your wrench to the chassis. That doesn't happen with a disconnect switch.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch