Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Battery in-line fuse

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I just got a 2013 Rockwood A128S recently. I bought it As-Is from a guy that knew nothing about campers. He got it at an auction. This is my very first camper. I always do tent camping. Got this for my parents to do winter camp.

The battery was dead. It was charged all night. Now it is at 12.56V. there is an-in-line fuse holder without fuse. from the manual, i think it is a 25A fuse. I bought a new fuse, tried to install it in the holder. It was busted even before I could finish pushing it in! It kinda freaked me out since i know nothing about this stuff. Please help! Thank you so much!
w101ttd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by w101ttd View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I just got a 2013 Rockwood A128S recently. I bought it As-Is from a guy that knew nothing about campers. He got it at an auction. This is my very first camper. I always do tent camping. Got this for my parents to do winter camp.

The battery was dead. It was charged all night. Now it is at 12.56V. there is an-in-line fuse holder without fuse. from the manual, i think it is a 25A fuse. I bought a new fuse, tried to install it in the holder. It was busted even before I could finish pushing it in! It kinda freaked me out since i know nothing about this stuff. Please help! Thank you so much!
It should be a 30 amp, it's green (various shades depending on brand but always green) if it's the square plug in with two "prongs" on it.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
It should be a 30 amp, it's green (various shades depending on brand but always green) if it's the square plug in with two "prongs" on it.
EDIT: A little research tells me I could be wrong. I thought these were all 30 amp units but a 2013 brochures shows "25 and 35".

25 Amp Converter w/ Built in Battery Charger S - - -- - - - -
35 Amp Converter w/ Built in Battery Charger - - S S S S
12V Safety Switch S S S S S
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w101ttd View Post
Hi Everyone,

Between the converter (assuming a WFCO 8735 converter) and the battery there is (or should be):

- a 30 amp fuse in the converter fuse panel. This is the fuse for the battery circuit.

- a 40 amp fuse in the converter fuse panel (blows if the battery is hooked up with reversed polarity). Protects the converter.

- a circuit breaker that can be reset with a tiny button on the case, located in the wiring under the frame or along the tongue.

- some dealers add an in-line fuse near the battery terminals as a poor man's disconnect. Can be spade or tube type fuse. Should be 30 amps.

Chances are if the battery has been significantly discharged, and left that way, it's voltage will drop very quickly under any kind of load. It should be load checked, and if need be, replaced.

It's hard to say what is causing the replacement fuse to blow other than a short circuit. Where that short is, I can't tell you without examining things and checking with a voltmeter.

I would disconnect the battery, and start at the converter (camper has to be plugged in for this). Make sure all the fuses in the panel are good, and that everything 12V works. Next check voltages at the battery leads with battery disconnected (should be 13.7V). Then, and only then, when everything else is good, reconnect the battery, making sure the polarity is right.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
then: 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now: 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

thank you so much! turned out the battery got wired wrong. I switched it and it worked! thanks!
w101ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, fuse