Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Mostly Harmless

Battery powered security light

ALDI's was selling this battery powered security light this week for $15. I put one on my porch--works perfectly--then got a second one to take camping. I don't know if I'll ever feel like I need it, as the outside light by the door lights things up just fine. But for the price I thought it might be good to have along. Haven't decided whether or how to mount it yet. I might come up with some kind of post mount from conduit. Then I could set it wherever I thought I needed it. Might be a good thing to put inside a potty tent.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396975784.389823.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	49401
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
ALDI's was selling this battery powered security light this week for $15. I put one on my porch--works perfectly--then got a second one to take camping. I don't know if I'll ever feel like I need it, as the outside light by the door lights things up just fine. But for the price I thought it might be good to have along. Haven't decided whether or how to mount it yet. I might come up with some kind of post mount from conduit. Then I could set it wherever I thought I needed it. Might be a good thing to put inside a potty tent.Attachment 49401
ALDI's as in the grocery supermarket?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
ALDI's as in the grocery supermarket?

I am betting so.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I am betting so.
Wasn't sure - I only was in one ALDI's once.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

I like looking at their non-grocery features every week. I've bought tools there on occasion. It's a German company I believe...their beer and chocolates have European-sounding names. Check online at www.aldi.us
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
I like looking at their non-grocery features every week. I've bought tools there on occasion. It's a German company I believe...their beer and chocolates have European-sounding names. Check online at www.aldi.us
They opened what I believe was 8 stores in the DFW Metroplex about 3-4 years ago and I think I recently read they are expanding.

They charge 25 cents for the use of their shopping carts which is refundable if you return it to a designated location,don't accept credit cards,you bag your own groceries and bring your own bags.

They caused quite a stir when they arrived here,but I guess they are doing well. I was only in one once since they opened here.

The one I pass by is located across the street from a Wal Mart SuperCenter.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Yup that is the way they do it in Germany. That is why I don't use them. 10 years in Germany taught me no to trust their way of doing some things.
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Not sure I understand the hesitation. I believe they pay a higher wage than Walmart...

We have an Aldi down the street. It's a small store because they tend to carry only one of everything. One ketchup but you can tell it's Heinz 57 in their own private label bottle. Same with the French's Mustard and on through all their products. They tend to be a private label version of whatever the top brand is Ina big supermarket. They do take debit cards. And the beauty if the .25 cent carriage is that you're not paying higher prices to put someone outside to collect carriages in huge parking lot. Either people return it cuz they want their quarter back or they leave it and someone else gets a free quarter. Win win.

We don't use it as our primary grocery, they don't have everything, but they are alright from time to time.

I'm probably one of very few campers who hates walmart, I don't set foot in there, I can't stand the atmosphere, the blue color, the people, and all the endless aisles of stuff. It's very difficult to be in and out of a walmart in 5-10min. An ALdi you can be in and out quickly. It's no larger than a gas station convenience store most of the time, but with ride useful products and less junk food, lottery tickets, cigarettes and dirty magazines and keno. Haha.

So I'd say give it a shot if you haven't yet and see what you think. It's not for everyone. The usually have a section towards the back with seasonal non-grocery items and this is where you can find some interesting deals on garden, camping, sporting goods.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #9

We had an Aldi where I went to college in the early 80's. It was popular with students because it was cheap. They have not yet come to Houston, or at least my part of town.

Aldi was founded in Germany and maintained a policy of not selling cigarettes. When the founder died, his two sons split over the cigarette policy and divided the company on geographic lines into Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord.

Aldi Sud owns the U. S. Aldi stores. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's. They practice similar merchandising by selling mostly house brands, but Trader Joe's doesn't make you fuss with quarters to get a shopping cart.

I shop at Trader Joe's frequently. It isn't for weekly shopping and things are not always in stock. Once you understand the store, it becomes a great place to make a quick run to find something tasty and healthy for dinner.

My problem with Walmart is they drive the competition away. We are quite close to one and no other store will open nearby so I now have to go out of my way to get to a grocery store when I need something quick. On many evenings and all weekend, the check out lines are so long that it can take more time to leave the store than it does to actually shop. So I drive the extra miles to get better service.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

I've heard decent things about Aldi's, however I have only been there once for a seemingly trivial reason. I hardly ever use cash and for this reason unless i specifically remember before i head out I dont have a Quarter for the shopping cart.

I think its a brilliant idea to cut overhead and keep the parking lot free of carts, but if I dont have a quarter to get one, i am going to the grocery store across the street.
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki008 View Post
I think its a brilliant idea to cut overhead and keep the parking lot free of carts, but if I dont have a quarter to get one, i am going to the grocery store across the street.

I think the idea works better in Europe where the coins have a higher value, the euro coin or the old DM. I don't carry coins as there is little I buy that costs under a dollar. Coins received in change go into a bin for recycling. Coin only vending machines and pay telephones are a thing of the past.

Sorry about the tread hijacking, hamguy. The security light does look like an interesting idea.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
ALDI's was selling this battery powered security light this week for $15. I put one on my porch--works perfectly--then got a second one to take camping. I don't know if I'll ever feel like I need it, as the outside light by the door lights things up just fine. But for the price I thought it might be good to have along. Haven't decided whether or how to mount it yet. I might come up with some kind of post mount from conduit. Then I could set it wherever I thought I needed it. Might be a good thing to put inside a potty tent.Attachment 49401
Was thinking it could be mounted so you could aim it backwards when backing up at night so it would do double duty. Just a thought for you.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I think the idea works better in Europe where the coins have a higher value, the euro coin or the old DM. I don't carry coins as there is little I buy that costs under a dollar. Coins received in change go into a bin for recycling. Coin only vending machines and pay telephones are a thing of the past.

Sorry about the tread hijacking, hamguy. The security light does look like an interesting idea.
I'm not an ALDI's frequent shopper and I don't own stock in them,but they seem to be doing well here in the DFW area and I have articles about what a tough market it is here for supermarkets. Right now Kroger is building several new big box upper class supermarkets.

I just did a store locator search for ALDI's using my zip code in Tarrant County and it shows 20 stores and that's not counting the Dallas side. I think they started out with about 8 stores here 3-4 years ago.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

Back in college, the local Aldi market was a dimly lit hang out for students and people on the dole.

Now they seem to appeal to a similar demographic to Trader Joe's. A small market where you can get in and out quickly on the way home in the evening with something good for dinner. It is a very urban/European way of shopping where kitchens are small, people walk more and markets are convenient. But the quarter thing diminishes the appeal of spontaneity I enjoy about small market grocery shopping. I guess I am too English and not German enough to properly appreciate the efficiency.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #15

We have an Aldi in our little town and like it a lot. We go there for certain items, like their store brands and their $2.89 Winking Owl wine, which comes from California and is as good (to us) as wines that cost 10 times as much.

I will quibble over the price of a bottle of wine but not over the use of a refundable quarter for the cart. Also, the cart is necessary if you buy much, because they save more money (and help out the environment) by not providing bags.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #16

It's not battery operated but PPL has the motion activated porch light on sale for about $40.00. I had one on my old Freelander and just got another to put on our new Encounter. The regular price is just under $70.00 at PPL. The model is SL1000 and comes in white or black. We are very happy with ours.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
Mostly Harmless

Wow! Lots of comment about temporarily storing a quarter in a cart slot. I solve the quarter issue by not getting a cart, BTW. They let me buy stuff anyway, use my debit card, get cash back...
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
B47

I think IMHO that this thread has not only brought attention to a battery powered security light,but probably made some members here either aware of or more aware of a grocery supermarket chain called ALDI's.

They couldn't have brought and paid for any better publicity than what they got here in this thread. The diversity of this RV forum is amazing.

Tags
battery, light, power