Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elricbillman View Post
I was thinking about attaching a bike rack to the spare tire. They make some that strap around it.
I been looking at the spare mount for other mods. While it is much better than the rear bumper I would not put too much more weight on it. How many bikes and how much do your bikes weigh?

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #12
Retread Popup Owner

We're empty nesters with just two bikes, and the rack in the link below works extremely well for us. It clamps on to the draw bar, and there's enough clearance between the back of our tow vehicle and the camper for the two bikes. It also works well when not towing, to haul the bikes to local bike trails. I can't say enough good stuff about this rack.

Advantage SportsRack V-Rack 2 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
We're empty nesters with just two bikes, and the rack in the link below works extremely well for us. It clamps on to the draw bar, and there's enough clearance between the back of our tow vehicle and the camper for the two bikes. It also works well when not towing, to haul the bikes to local bike trails. I can't say enough good stuff about this rack.
Looks like the best solution.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elricbillman View Post
I was thinking about attaching a bike rack to the spare tire. They make some that strap around it.
Only use that if you want to pick up the whole mess off the highway in the near future. That tire mount and support structure is not designed to carry the extra weight. Remember, campers are made to be as light weight as possible and use minimal materials.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
I have seen several people use these:
Buyers Combo Stack Bar

We have one and have used it with our previous camper and it looks like it would work fine with our A122S.
Just be careful about the tongue weight.

The A122S already has a heavy tongue, mine is 420# and I bet most others are just about that. So to that 420# you have to add the weight of the adapter, the weight of the bake rack and bikes to get to the actual weight on the hitch and the TV. None of that cannot be offset by a weight distributing hitch.

And get it all weighed at a CAT scale on the way to the campground so you can compare actual axle weights to the Mfg rating. I never say not to go over your vehicle weight ratings but at least know your weights in making the decision to bypass the manufactures recommendations.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:

since you don't have to use a WDH and it only needs the ball drawbar, there are a number of solutions like this one, that attach to the drawbar and ride between the tongue and the TV's hitch receiver.
i think that there at least 3-4 different mounts that will work like this one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:

I, too, have this bike rack and love it. Works great.

David
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #18

Wow that looks perfect! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #19

We recently took delivery of our A122 and love it. We purchased the accessories of the screen room (more on that later) and the bike rack the manufacturer recommends. It mounts to the front of the camper just behind the propane tanks. When we took the camper out for our first trip, I started to install the rack until I realized the bikes are designed to rest on the roof - and looks like they sit on the skylights. My dealer reached out to the manufacturer rep and this is what he said, the bikes are supposed to "go between the skylights or to the outside of the skylights and no more than 2 bikes can be used for that model can be used with the bike rack.". Keep in mind, it's a four bike rack. It seems to me it's designed for a standard pop-up and they're trying to retro fit it. Moral of my story: in my opinion, don't buy this accessory! We don't bike that often, only when we go camping - so we're probably going to get some of those fancy folding bikes and keep them in the back of my truck. Needless to say I'm really disappointed in the product they sold me and their response. Total design flaw.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #20

IIRC, the web site says it will do 2 bikes on an A122, in between the skylights as you've found out, and four bikes on an A122S, or other campers with a front storage truck or short deck. If the dealer didn't tell you that, then return it to him and ask for a refund.

And yes it is sold for traditional popups too.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
bike, bike rack