Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Talking Bike Rack for Hard-Sided Camper?

We are proud new owners of a 2012 Flagstaff Hard Side T12RB...we are super excited and canít wait to take our first adventure. We are avid mountain bikers and are not sure where to rack our bikes? We have read online blogs that adding a hitch to the back of a hard-sided pop up may bend the frame. We store kayaks on top of our SUV so that is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yeah unless your frame is designed for a bike rack stay away.
In most cases it voids your warranty.
Front of tv?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like f1110turbo suggested, the front of the vehicle via a front mounted hitch, or better yet why not travel with those kayaks sitting on their sides, and the bikes beside of them on the overhead racks. I have seen several setups like that. You might have get the longer cross bars to fit everything on some of the smaller SUVs. But those long bars can cause a problem with head knocking. I put 6 1/2' Yakima cross bars on an S10 Blazer, but opted for 5' bars after seeing stars a couple of times in the middle of the day.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer.

To be honest, I've never owned one of these "Hard sided" or A-Frame trailers so take this FWIW.

Back in the day when we had a pop-up, we would do a couple of things to carry our bikes. One was a roof top carrier affixed to the pup's roof. If you do that, be very careful that you seal any holes. We used a Yakima or Thule setup - I can't remember which one. All in all, we would carry five bikes - a canoe and one bike on the TVs rooftop and the rest on the pup.

I've also seen bike carriers that mount to the tongue of your trailer. These are expensive and add to the tongue weight so might pose a problem depending on your tow vehicle's capacities. They work well if your tongue has the room.

Read the listed weight cap for your trailer's bumper. You will probably find that won't work.

As for welding a hitch onto the frame, you need to concern yourself with three things: 1) your frame warranty will be void. 2) Ultra-light frames like this will not bear the weight. 3) even if you could weld a rack onto this frame, be aware that the further out your bike rack is from the frame, the more those bikes will shake going down the road (not the way I would treat my bikes).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

hmmm ...

As the aframe roof is two piece vs. a tenttrailer's one piece roof, Im really not sure if installing one of those frame mounted/wheels on the roof of the trailer racks would be a good idea, due to its design and construction. Further to that, any drilling or modifications to the roof will wipe out your 5 year warrenty.
As the tounge wieght is rather heavy on our trailers, im sure you wouldnt want another 40 lbs or so ontop of the 285 plus pounds of hitch wieght .. however this may not be an issue ... depending on your tow vehicle.
Like alot of us ... you may have to put those puppies up on the tow vehicle roof, if you dont want to fork out the cash to have a front reciever installed on your TV.
Even if you wish to have a front reciever installed, it may turn out to be illegal, due to state or provincial laws, that ensure that front crush zones and airbag sensors remain untouched.
We either carry our canoe, or our bikes, but never both. Thats just too much equipement and too much to put away at the end of a camping trip.

hope this helps .. d-mo
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

If you are into do-it-yourself, there are heavy duty suction cups you could adapt to a rack and place the rack on the top of the trailer roof.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

Dual Hitch Receiver Might Help

Before I bought my popup my bike rack used to attach to the hitch receiver on the back of my SUV. Now I have a dual hitch receiver (about $40 on ebay) which enables me to attach both the trailer and the bike rack to my hitch. Luckily my vehicle can handle the weight of a couple of bikes and rack on top of the tongue weight of the trailer (Jeep Grand Cherokee).
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If none of the previous suggestions will work, how about 1 of these:

Spare Rear Wheel Bike Carrier Color Black

http://www.sunandski.com/Thule_Speed...961&Click=3449

Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
If none of the previous suggestions will work, how about 1 of these:

Spare Rear Wheel Bike Carrier Color Black

http://www.sunandski.com/Thule_Speed...961&Click=3449
Won't work on the camper spare. The mount is barely strong enough for the spare itself. If you have a spare tire on the tv, and sufficient clearance between the tv and camper then it might work.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Won't work on the camper spare. The mount is barely strong enough for the spare itself. If you have a spare tire on the tv, and sufficient clearance between the tv and camper then it might work.
I definitely did not mean for it to be put on the camper spare. The OPer did not post what type of SUV they had, but many have the spare tire mounted on the tailgate. I have had a 2 bike Thule rack mounted to the spare tire of my Jeep Wrangler, and it that works great there.

Tags
bike, bike rack, a-frame, hard side