Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The Lynx vs Bal discussion is a perennial on the Pupup Explorer forum, with each side having adamant adherents. Both systems have benefits and detriments discussed here, so the choice is pretty much up to the preference of the individual. Both will get an AFrame up to level.

My thought was that as long as I was taking a drill along to raise the heavy top on my Niagara, I might as well use it to level the camper. But now that it is a light arm lift to raise the top, maybe a shift to Lynx are in order. Then I can use my old 12V Dewalt drill to operate the stabilizers. It is getting lonely in my chest for seldom used tools.
Tom:

After reading all the info provided through this thread, I'm leaning towards Lynx myself. If the Lynx still slide away, I will drive a couple of the small wire type tent stakes down to the level of the thickest block I'm trying to stop from moving. That way, if I go too far, I won't puncture the camper tire, but it should stop the sliding, if needed.

Another feature I like about the Lynx system is they are a whole light lighter and much easier to handle. 2 X 6 treated lumber is heavy and two of them nailed together really gets heavy. I spent the morning researching the BAL vs Lynx features and I think I'm going to order a set of 10 Lynx blocks. They come in their own carrying case, are easier to store and the weight difference is attractive. (My arms and hands are not as strong as they used to be and I had an operation on my right wrist and it's a whole lot weaker now than it was. Carpal Tunnel.) Plus, if you have any left over, they can be used under the scissors jack feet. Kind of like an "all in one" system.

On many of the reviews I read, a lot of Lynx user bought two sets, with one guy who bought 4 sets, but I think they were the big rig guys. Although it depends how far down you want your scissor jack legs extended.

Amazon has them for about $37.00, with free shipping and Walmart has them for about $32.00. I'm on my maiden voyage with my new camper and the Walmart here doesn't carry them. One of reviewers mentioned that the green Lynx blocks are made in China while the true Lynx blocks, which are orange, are made in the U.S.A. By the time I pay the 8 % tax at Walmart, it's almost a wash in price. I think I'll go with Amazon!

Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #22

Jim, I paid 30- at the RV show for my Lynx set of 10. I use them as pads under the stabilizers. Husband likes them for leveling. The Bal is my "go to" item when spouse is not with me ( I am not a skilled backer upper)...but as Ive said, so far havent needed to use it. whew. LOL Live by the motto of being prepared. hee! I can relate about carpal tunnel, have jad surgery on both wrists....I'm all about anything to make things less complicated....wow- Its getting close to your trip, eh?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #23

Handbuilder:

Actually, I'm on my maiden voyage right now. Been busy trying out all the features my old popup didn't have. So far, so good. Had to turn down the temp in my fridge as my soda was starting to freeze, but that's a good thing. At least everything is ice cold and it hit 88 degrees here today. I'm having a ball! So many nice features, except storage. Still working on that one.

Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #24

Jim - Great to hear you are already enjoying your trailer!! We want pictures!! heh heh!!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Jim - Great to hear you are already enjoying your trailer!! We want pictures!! heh heh!!
Handbuilder:

I'm working on taking some pictures. Been busy familiarizing myself with all the features but I do promise some pictures.
P.S.
Please read my thread on window cleaning. I need help getting some heavy tree sap off the bubble windows. Thanks.

Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Tom:
After reading all the info provided through this thread, I'm leaning towards Lynx myself.

Jim
Sounds like a good choice. I'll look for some more postings on your trip.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #27

I have a BAL leveler and love it. I used it with my Popup and was very simple and easy to use. Just park and lift the low side and its stabilized and chocked the tire. Since moving to a dual axle TT, I'm looking at my options as the BAL will not work unless I get another and lift both tires on the low side.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #28

The Bal in action, next to me, my friends' with blocks...

We moved my trailer sideways so not as high up front to rear.

After seeing how the Bal worked, they plan to buy one too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-19 11.29.23.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	28389   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-19 11.28.01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	28390  

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #29

Hand builder:

Here's a picture of my camper all set on my maiden voyage.
(I don't know if I uploaded the picture correctly and it may not be here. Still learning!)

It looks like I blew it. I don't see the picture. Sorry.

Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #30

Handbuilder:

I'm going to try again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 4-21-2013 DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	28578  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #31

Wow! Your trailer looks great! Love the flag! The decals on your exterior are cool! You're smart to have a mat to wipe feet before the step before entering your trailer! I realized this weekend, I need one. I have a large outdoor mat, but it doesnt catch the grass or sand off the shoe soles. Everything syill going well with the trailer's performance?

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Wow! Your trailer looks great! Love the flag! The decals on your exterior are cool! You're smart to have a mat to wipe feet before the step before entering your trailer! I realized this weekend, I need one. I have a large outdoor mat, but it doesnt catch the grass or sand off the shoe soles. Everything syill going well with the trailer's performance?
Handbuilder:

Thanks for the compliment.

I bought that mat at Walmart. It has little plastic "fingers" that stick up and really does a good job of cleaning your shoes before you step up onto the step. I've had it for about 4 years, a leftover from my old popup, and all you do to clean it is, pick it up and shake it. All the sand slides right off. (You can see how sandy the ground is all around the camper. Not a blade of grass in sight!

The camper is performing well. One problem with the outside shower. The shower wand is cracked and leaks if I turn on the water. Thank heavens I don't really need it. I have a splitter on the park water supply and one side of the splitter in a coiled hose with a shower head attached. (Like the ones people use to water their gardens. About 5 or 6 different settings.) Have used that water arrangement for years.

Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
Mostly Harmless

...Thought this would be relevant: Amazon has the LynxLevelers on sale for a period of time...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028PJ10K/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
...Thought this would be relevant: Amazon has the LynxLevelers on sale for a period of time...

Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Leveler for RV Leveling Block with Nylon Storage Case, (Pack of 10) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Hamguy:

Thanks for the info. I ordered them on the 18th, they arrived today, and I paid $36.99. I just shot an e-mail off to Amazon asking for a refund for the price difference. Good info!

Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #35

Has anyone used the Lynx interlocking chock? Is it as easy as it looks?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #36

Quote:

Tri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Leveler for RV Leveling Block with Nylon Storage Case, (Pack of 10) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Hamguy:

I just got a notice from Amazon that they have refunded the difference in price for the Lynx Levelers I bought just a few days ago. I think it's worth posting that Amazon is a good company to do business with. At least so far! It kind of gives me a good feeling that I shopping with a reputable store online.

Jim
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #37
Mostly Harmless

They did right by you, Jim. I'm kind of amazed. Usually the response I get is something less generous. You must have the gift of persuasion.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #38

Quote:
They did right by you, Jim. I'm kind of amazed. Usually the response I get is something less generous. You must have the gift of persuasion.
Hamguy:

I'm just glad you posted the comment about the price drop. Thank you. Better I should have the $7.00 than Amazon.

Thanks again,

Jim