Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
If I might make a suggestion don't use a jack to change your trailer tire. Break the lug nuts loose then Use a ramp and pull the good tire up on it till the bad tire is off the ground. Then block the other side so it can't roll. If you take notice FR doesn't supply a jack with any of their trailers.

Jim
The 'good tire' is then subjected to twice the weight it was designed for!!!!!!!!

Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #22

AAA

I have had AAA RV Plus, for many years. It works on any vehicle, AND my Trailer. I had to tow both once, and the Tow operator just put the 3/4 ton pick up on the bed of the tow vehicle, and hitched the trailer to the ball hitch of the tow truck,
and away we went. Painless. That one tow paid for three years of membership.
As for changing tires, I don't have many flats, but when I do, I call AAA. The guy comes out changes it and I don't even get my hands dirty. I may have to wait for an hour, if I am way off between towns, but that's a good time to do some bird watching, catch lunch or a nap, and mellow out for a while.
I don't like laying on the ground while changing a tire, or squeezing between traffic and the side of my rig. The tow guys are experienced, have the tools, and get paid to do the job.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #23

Photos of our blowout adventure. Showing the remains of the tire, the lift plate from floor jack embedded in the floor of our trailer, damage to refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5456.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	104354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5452.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	104355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5581.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	104356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	104357  
mherte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #24

These pics make me shiver.....i think on of the best ways of repair would first require the removal of the fridge....slice the flooring and replace with marine grade plywood...im out of my relm here...but the fridge is a self contained unit....didnt get a good look at the flooring...but repair that first by epoxy and pressure clamps....then glue to the origional flooring....up to the hole then..cut out the damaged part....and make make a template from the original piece,then install, reglue and compress with weight....
First of all check if your fridge functions....
Hope this helps...im.sure others will post....
D--mo
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #25

And it looks like....to me anyways that thetrailer slipped off the jack....from the scoring on the frame...could an 18 WHEELER pased you when doing the tire change . ...then it should be looked after my you know who...
Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I have had AAA RV Plus, for many years. It works on any vehicle, AND my Trailer. I had to tow both once, and the Tow operator just put the 3/4 ton pick up on the bed of the tow vehicle, and hitched the trailer to the ball hitch of the tow truck,
and away we went. Painless. That one tow paid for three years of membership.
As for changing tires, I don't have many flats, but when I do, I call AAA. The guy comes out changes it and I don't even get my hands dirty. I may have to wait for an hour, if I am way off between towns, but that's a good time to do some bird watching, catch lunch or a nap, and mellow out for a while.
I don't like laying on the ground while changing a tire, or squeezing between traffic and the side of my rig. The tow guys are experienced, have the tools, and get paid to do the job.
Good, but............AAA Premier will not cover a boat trailer (I sometimes fish when I'm not camping!). Ask me how I know. GoodSam will. Ask me how I know.

Sometimes you are not in cell range of a signal. Can't call AAA, Goodsam, or anyone. Sometimes these guys dispatch the same tow truck, it's just how they get paid that is different. Sometimes the truck is 5 hours away (they come when they have time), and you don't have 5 hours.

I'll get a 20 ton bottle jack.........$40.........and change my tire when I HAVE to. But will call for someone else to do it if/when I can, for sure!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Picture of tire suggests a tread/belt separation. This can usually be discovered during an annual "Free Spin" tire inspection as seen in this video.

I was sent the subject tire for a forensic inspection and posted the findings on my RV Tire Safety blog on August 12, 2014.

It also appears you have passenger type rubber valve stem. I trust your tire has a max inflation rating of 50 psi or less.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #28

"It also appears you have passenger type rubber valve stem. I trust your tire has a max inflation rating of 50 psi or less."
Actually that was the original tire on it's 4th season. The valve stem was supplied by the mfg. The tire was a Kenda Karrrier 175/80R13 - load range D. Inflation was 65lbs. - per the vehicle sticker and the sidewall of the tire. I checked "cold" two days before this incident.
mherte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Appears to be another example of cutting corners. While the tire pressure may be 65 the MAX the standard "snap-in" passenger tire rubber valve is only rated for a max of 65 psi. So there is zero margin in your application.

The fact you checked pressure a couple days before travel tells us nothing of the pressure while driving down the road a few days later. For all we know the valve core stuck open and there was a slow leak

IMO running without a TPMS would be like covering all the gauges in your TV and simply checking oil and water level before the trip. After all nothing ever goes wrong while you are driving down the road.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #30

Hay tireman9 why don't you just say I sell tpms systems and be done with it

Tags
tire