Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #41
Too old to be too smart

I, for one, appreciate the Tireman's experienced participation on this forum.

I have a TPMS, and would have said much the very same things about the use of those systems as he did, and I don't sell 'em, either.

Do the antagonists have relevant specialties with which they can also participate for our common good?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Tireman9's comment is good enough for me. He's never advertised anything but his experience.

Thank you very much Tireman9!!!!
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #43

I wouldn't care if he did sell them. Doesn't negate the fact that they are a useful tool. If I sold fire extinguishers I wouldn't be allowed to tell you it's a good idea to have one? As long as he's not running ads or actively advertising, then who cares?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #44
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I wouldn't care if he did sell them. Doesn't negate the fact that they are a useful tool. If I sold fire extinguishers I wouldn't be allowed to tell you it's a good idea to have one? As long as he's not running ads or actively advertising, then who cares?
X2
Thanks Tireman9!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Because I don't sell TPMS nor do I get a commission nor do I work for any company that makes TPMS.

The Blog is owned by RVTravel. They asked me to write the blog and I agreed. I have no say in who advertises on the blog.

Clear enough?

To Pooneil
Yes I am offering an opinion on the belt/tread separation but that is based on what almost anyone can see from the picture in that the two belts and the tread have separated from the body of the tire. It does not appear to have been a "blowout" and that is why I suggested that an annual "free-spin" inspection might have discovered the separation in its early stages and the tire been replaced before it came apart on the road. My opinion is based on about 20,000 tire autopsies that I did during my 40 years as a tire design & quality engineer including offering instruction to about 500 engineers & techs in North, Central and South America as well as the safety engineers at NHTSA.

It's easy to have an opinion. What takes more effort is to have an opinion based on actual work in the industry and to have actually been responsible for failed tire examinations with written reports being accepted as true and accurate by GM, Ford, Honda, BMW, Fiat, Chrysler, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru and by lawyers involved in fatal accident investigations.

TPMS will not prevent 100% of tire failures any more than having an oil pressure gauge or water temperature gauge in your car or truck. If you don't think having warning information presented to the driver than I challenge you to go and disconnect your gauges or at least tape over the lights and dials in the instrument panel.

I would be very interested in learning exactly what I got wrong in my report of Aug 12, 2014.
"Mic drop"!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
x2

TPMS can pay for themselves. First you might eliminate destroying a tire due to driving on it while it is doing a slow leak. Even of the damage to the tire makes it un-repairable you should prevent damage to the RV due to the tire flailing against the RV. (In the above example it appears the owner was lucky and the tire failure didn't do the damage.)
Reading some of your blog info and want to get back to it. Thank-you Tireman.

TPMS pays for themselves? Heck yes....
My stress level went waaay down, by not staring at the camper tires the whole trip that way 2500 miles long a few weeks ago. I did not check the heat level at every stop with a heat gun, like I have on past trips. I did not have to go around and check the PSI in eight tires from time to time like I did in the past. I have had tire separations on my Truck(s) and also flats/blowouts/ect on every camper that I have had. How I wish I had something like the TST 507 that I have now for the last 30 years.

TPMS 'pays' for themselves???? OHHH yaa...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #47
Commercial Member

Hey folks
Sorry for the rant yesterday. Usually I ignore the nay-sayers but maybe I got up on wrong side of bed and the comments about me compromising my engineering integrity because I sold some product just got to me.

I have sold products in years gone by for race car applications but I used the products I sold, so could endorse them based on both my engineering analysis and personal experience. Right now as far as I know my name is only associated with two products in the form of an endorsement by name. One is a digital tire gauge and in that case I receive no compensation but may contact the company and see what can be arranged. The other is computer software program for doing Genealogy research but again no compensation is received.

If someone bothers to check the over 200 posts on my blog on RV tires you will see that I make a few product suggestions such as "use TPMS" but they are more generic as in my recommendation to "use tire covers". I mention no brand name and only suggest the color white.

If you ever attend one of my tire seminars you may also note that I offer no products or even subscriptions for sale.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #48

I guess I'm going to wade in here, and say that I'm an A-frame owner who does not have TPMS beyond what comes on cars and minivan. And probably will not install one unless and until I have a blowout that damages my A-frame. My reasons:

I tow with a minivan, and installing a TPMS would be awkward to say the least. Installing the brake controller was ugly enough.

Most importantly, I'm running my A-frame tires with a significant reserve. The tires on my A-frame have a combined capacity of 3,420 lbs. I typically run at 2,800lbs or less (water in the tank is +/- 120 lbs), and that's not counting the weight shift to the minivan from the tongue and WDH. My A-frame tires should be no more likely to "blow out" than my minivan's tires.

My trips are limited to 1,500 miles and 9 days or less (usually less). Speeds are less than 68MPH. I set my tires to sidewall max pressure (65 PSI) before every trip, and look over the tires while adding air. I also get a peek at the tires when adding the Leveler Lego blocks and chocks at each campsite, and while lighting the propane burner on the fridge.

For me, the likely return on investment for a TPMS just isn't there. If I were towing a dual axle TT with heavily loaded tires, I would probably reach the opposite conclusion.

Fred W
keeping it simple and fun
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time - except for the Utah 5 beginning 23 April
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
...probably will not install one unless and until I have a blowout that damages my A-frame. My reasons:
I tow with a minivan, and installing a TPMS would be awkward to say the least...
Can you explain how it would be awkward?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
I tow with a minivan, and installing a TPMS would be awkward to say the least. Installing the brake controller was ugly enough.
There is no "installation" with a TPMS. You twist the sensors on and throw the monitor unit onto the dash or cupholder or something.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #51

Quote:
I guess I'm going to wade in here, and say that I'm an A-frame owner who does not have TPMS beyond what comes on cars and minivan. And probably will not install one unless and until I have a blowout that damages my A-frame. My reasons:

Most importantly, I'm running my A-frame tires with a significant reserve. The tires on my A-frame have a combined capacity of 3,420 lbs. I typically run at 2,800lbs or less (water in the tank is +/- 120 lbs), and that's not counting the weight shift to the minivan from the tongue and WDH. My A-frame tires should be no more likely to "blow out" than my minivan's tires.

My trips are limited to 1,500 miles and 9 days or less (usually less). Speeds are less than 68MPH. I set my tires to sidewall max pressure (65 PSI) before every trip, and look over the tires while adding air. I also get a peek at the tires when adding the Leveler Lego blocks and chocks at each campsite, and while lighting the propane burner on the fridge.

For me, the likely return on investment for a TPMS just isn't there. If I were towing a dual axle TT with heavily loaded tires, I would probably reach the opposite conclusion.

Fred W
keeping it simple and fun
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time - except for the Utah 5 beginning 23 April
Google: YOU-tube install TST 507 to see how hard/easy it is......

These are not only for trailer, I have four on my tow vehicle also.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #52

Quote:
For me, the likely return on investment for a TPMS just isn't there.
a TPMS with 4 sensors is less than $250 on amazon

if you save one tire from catastrophic blowout and do not have to replace it you are 1/2 way or more to that price

installation takes about 15 minutes and is not any worse than airing up your tires

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #53

Tireman, please keep doing what you've been doing. You provide quality information at a really really good price. As an adult, it's my choice to use your advice or not, but the burden always lies with me. But I can also evaluate said advice, combine it with my own experiences and knowledge, and arrive at a conclusion as to its worth.
I have read many of your posts, and my analysis of the advice, data, and recommendations you have provided has passed the smell test every time.

You have provided me with knowledge that I hadn't considered. And I don't give a flying flip if you sell tpms systems or not. That would not detract from the knowledge and educational value of what you bring to the table...er...forum.

As for me; Thank you.

<rant off>
Old 04-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #54

Blown Tire and aftermath

Had a relaxing trip last weekend partly due to the new Maxxis all the way around and the TST 507 TPMS. Thanks to all who recommended them! Now if I can just get that dang pump to prime...
Old 04-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Tireman, please keep doing what you've been doing. You provide quality information at a really really good price. As an adult, it's my choice to use your advice or not, but the burden always lies with me. But I can also evaluate said advice, combine it with my own experiences and knowledge, and arrive at a conclusion as to its worth.
I have read many of your posts, and my analysis of the advice, data, and recommendations you have provided has passed the smell test every time.

You have provided me with knowledge that I hadn't considered. And I don't give a flying flip if you sell tpms systems or not. That would not detract from the knowledge and educational value of what you bring to the table...er...forum.

As for me; Thank you.

<rant off>
X2

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #56

[QUOTE=lesptr;1163501]Had a relaxing trip last weekend partly due to the new Maxxis all the way around and the TST 507 TPMS. Thanks to all who recommended them! Now if I can just get that dang pump to prime...[/QUOTE]

Too much air and not enough water . Are you able to pour water directly into the intake side and at the same time restrict the out flow side to build pressure?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #57

So seriously people....this reminds me of a freshwater fishing forum....where before late winter, and spring time things just got way out of perspective ....who knows why...most likely they just wanted to be out on the water...

Dont we all just want to be "out there"...cut the sillyness...and spend you time helping others solve their problems

D-mo
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There is no "installation" with a TPMS. You twist the sensors on and throw the monitor unit onto the dash or cupholder or something.
I know nothing about the TPMS systems but would like to learn more. Assuming they are wireless? Can someone explain more about them for me? Thanks.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #59
Always Learning

Blown Tire and aftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I know nothing about the TPMS systems but would like to learn more. Assuming they are wireless? Can someone explain more about them for me? Thanks.

Jim

There is a monitor that you set on your dash or thereabouts. It has a battery in it and needs to be recharged periodically (some folks will wire it into an up fitter switch, but that's not mandatory). The battery seems to last for 20-30 hours of driving. We just periodically plug ours in with the provided cigarette lighter plug charger and drive with it like that for 2-3 hours.

Then, each tire gets a monitor screwed onto the valve stem. These transmit tire pressure data wirelessly.

There is a one-time setup procedure to pair the sensors with the monitor and to program the high/low limit alarms into the monitor.

Finally, in some installations, a "repeater" is needed. At 22' of truck and 42' of fifth wheel, my system works most of the time. I periodically "lose" a tire but it comes back. In my case, I should have the repeater installed in the front storage of the camper and that would resolve the issue. This is a matter of tapping into the 12v system for power and mounting the repeater somewhere.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post

Jim
This is what I have TST 507

Truck System Technologies

Google: "you-tube install TST 507" to see how hard/easy it is......

Some systems, you must return the sensor to the dealer to have the battery changed when it dies. The TST system, you can change the battery yourself.

Tags
tire