Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #31

Your repair idea sounds good, and I don't recommend messing with the fridge if it's still working correctly.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsfast View Post
Hay tireman9 why don't you just say I sell tpms systems and be done with it

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The fact you checked pressure a couple days before travel tells us nothing of the pressure while driving down the road a few days later. For all we know the valve core stuck open and there was a slow leak
You are just speculating on why the tire blew and you don't know if what you are promoting would have made any difference. Just give it a rest.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #34

Quote:
I not sure the tireman sells tpms systems, his blog is sponsored by a company, but that doesn't mean he sells them. Does he push the use of them yes, but all I have read is that he recommends them to members.... Never have I read a post from him stating he sells them and we should buy them from him....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I not sure the tireman sells tpms systems, his blog is sponsored by a company, but that doesn't mean he sells them. Does he push the use of them yes, but all I have read is that he recommends them to members.... Never have I read a post from him stating he sells them and we should buy them from him....
^^X2^^... Agreed.

EDIT: Lots of us push the use of a TPMS... no different.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #36

I'm guessing when your wife returned you didn't hitch the trailer back up to the truck before jacking it. If you had done so and set your parking brake you wouldn't be dealing with the jack plate being in the floor of your camper right now.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X3

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
am trying to figure out why you would put your skull or chest between the floor jack and the trailer, or how you would even do that?

I carry my full size floor jack in my van and have needed to use it a few times... 2 or 3 pieces of 2x6 under the jack on soft ground sure helps... much better and easier to use then standard car jacks
No, no one puts their skull between the floor jack and the RV. What people do (improperly) is use a floor jack (or a tire jack) to jack up the RV and then climb under to do repairs (say, on the bottom of a drain line, or adding a sway bar). Unless stationary jack stands are used, the floor jack can slip and also can fail, causing the RV to fall suddenly - exactly what happened here.

All floor and vehicle jacks carry warning labels that they are "for lifting only" and to use stationary jacks/stands before getting under the vehicle.

Jacks are fine for changing tires when you are not getting underneath. But even in thee intended applications they can slip, as shown here. Fortunately, no one was injured and "only" property damage occurred.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #39

Learned that lesson a long time ago. Working on my '52 Chevy on side of the road next to the house. Had it jacked up on a bottle jack under the frame, rolled out from under and down she came, right though the floor. There wasn't enough room between the floor and the asphalt for my head. I had a real a** chewing from my dad for being really stupid.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Because I don't sell TPMS nor do I get a commission nor do I work for any company that makes TPMS.

The Blog is owned by RVTravel. They asked me to write the blog and I agreed. I have no say in who advertises on the blog.

Clear enough?

To Pooneil
Yes I am offering an opinion on the belt/tread separation but that is based on what almost anyone can see from the picture in that the two belts and the tread have separated from the body of the tire. It does not appear to have been a "blowout" and that is why I suggested that an annual "free-spin" inspection might have discovered the separation in its early stages and the tire been replaced before it came apart on the road. My opinion is based on about 20,000 tire autopsies that I did during my 40 years as a tire design & quality engineer including offering instruction to about 500 engineers & techs in North, Central and South America as well as the safety engineers at NHTSA.

It's easy to have an opinion. What takes more effort is to have an opinion based on actual work in the industry and to have actually been responsible for failed tire examinations with written reports being accepted as true and accurate by GM, Ford, Honda, BMW, Fiat, Chrysler, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru and by lawyers involved in fatal accident investigations.

TPMS will not prevent 100% of tire failures any more than having an oil pressure gauge or water temperature gauge in your car or truck. If you don't think having warning information presented to the driver than I challenge you to go and disconnect your gauges or at least tape over the lights and dials in the instrument panel.

I would be very interested in learning exactly what I got wrong in my report of Aug 12, 2014.

Tags
tire