Old 04-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There is a monitor that you set on your dash or thereabouts. It has a battery in it and needs to be recharged periodically (some folks will wire it into an up fitter switch, but that's not mandatory). The battery seems to last for 20-30 hours of driving. We just periodically plug ours in with the provided cigarette lighter plug charger and drive with it like that for 2-3 hours.

Then, each tire gets a monitor screwed onto the valve stem. These transmit tire pressure data wirelessly.

There is a one-time setup procedure to pair the sensors with the monitor and to program the high/low limit alarms into the monitor.

Finally, in some installations, a "repeater" is needed. At 22' of truck and 42' of fifth wheel, my system works most of the time. I periodically "lose" a tire but it comes back. In my case, I should have the repeater installed in the front storage of the camper and that would resolve the issue. This is a matter of tapping into the 12v system for power and mounting the repeater somewhere.
Thank you. It then reads each tires individual pressure I am assuming? How many tires does it monitor at one time, 4,5 8,9? When you set the alarms, are all tires monitored for those settings or can you set an alarm pressure for each individual tire?

My truck is a pain. It tells me one is low then I have to go find which one it is. My truck tires are 35 pounds, my trailers tires are 50 pounds. So am assuming would need two units, one for truck and one for the trailer?

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #62

I do not have TMPS. I also have rubber valve stems. Good Year Marathon D tires with N in them. I check pressure once a year maybe a second time.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #63
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Thank you. It then reads each tires individual pressure I am assuming? How many tires does it monitor at one time, 4,5 8,9? When you set the alarms, are all tires monitored for those settings or can you set an alarm pressure for each individual tire?

My truck is a pain. It tells me one is low then I have to go find which one it is. My truck tires are 35 pounds, my trailers tires are 50 pounds. So am assuming would need two units, one for truck and one for the trailer?

Jim
Yes, it reads each individual tire pressure and shows you on a little display screen. It works for up to 22 tires (these were designed for big rigs). If I recall, you can set individual tires except for the trailer- they all get the same hi/low pressure settings. In my case, my truck front tires have a different pressure than my rear truck tires; and both are different than my trailer tires.

You can scroll through each individual tire and see their pressures. When you have an alarm, it shows an icon on the screen when you're viewing that individual tire (it actually switches to it for the alarm).

For instance, here was my flat when I was in Indiana:

If you squint, you can see that it's indicating a low pressure alarm, showing me the PSI and the tire temperature.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #64
Commercial Member

Looks like the only option for the OP is to buy off eBay or Amazon. If he does I hope he reports back every few months on the performance of those low cost units.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #65

Quote:
I do not have TMPS. I also have rubber valve stems. Good Year Marathon D tires with N in them. I check pressure once a year maybe a second time.
and the reason for this post is? Not sure what point you are making here.

Perhaps you can further explain... B and B

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
and the reason for this post is? Not sure what point you are making here.

Perhaps you can further explain... B and B
IMO, he is tootin' the fact of 100% N is better than a TPMS with 78% N.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

A TPMS is a little like Insurance. Some people do not want to take the chance of having a simple air leak turn into a multi-thousand dollar repair and trip interrupter.

Alternately you might think of it as you would your engine oil pressure or water temp gauge. You could check oil and water level in the engine compartment and plan on never having any problems going down the road. In that case you don't need the gauges on your dash. You might even consider covering them over with black tape as they might be distracting.
The technology for engine gauges has been around for 70+ years but low cost tire pressure monitoring is relatively new. Some cars do not have gauges just "idiot lights" but not many people would be happy if all monitoring gauges were suddenly removed form cars & trucks.

I hope your luck continues.

Saw a thread on TTMS (Transmission Temperature Monitor System) Now if the OP didn't have a TTMS he would not know his temperature changes and would not have the question. Since fewer RVs have transmission problems than have tire problems have to wonder why RV mfg put a TTMS on some units but to my knowledge almost none provide TPMS as standard equipment.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #68
Mod free 5er

Tireman9 as my grandpa used to say, "You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink." He didn't have horses.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
A TPMS is a little like Insurance. Some people do not want to take the chance of having a simple air leak turn into a multi-thousand dollar repair and trip interrupter.

Saw a thread on TTMS (Transmission Temperature Monitor System) Now if the OP didn't have a TTMS he would not know his temperature changes and would not have the question. Since fewer RVs have transmission problems than have tire problems have to wonder why RV mfg put a TTMS on some units but to my knowledge almost none provide TPMS as standard equipment.
I totally agree with the insurance illustration. I poo-pooed a TPMS for my situation (2,800lb tow weight single axle A-frame with 3,400lb capacity on the tires towed by a minivan) as an example where the risk vs cost vs hassle didn't seem to pay for my situation. In my case, the TTMS would be a higher priority because the risk of significant financial loss is much greater with the minivan transmission than with the A-frame tires.

I would go the opposite direction were I towing a 5-6K dual axle travel trailer with a pickup truck with full towing equipment.

It's a matter of evaluating your specific situation with risk vs cost vs benefit.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Tireman9 as my grandpa used to say, "You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink." He didn't have horses.
But, he did hold up a mirror to you......

Just kidding.
Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire