Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #1

Blown Tire and aftermath

Easter Sunday evening we were headed home after a nice weekend on the California coast when something caused me to look in the left side mirror of my tow vehicle. I was surprised to see smoke and debris coming from the left wheel of our trailer as the tire shredded, leaving the tread in the #2 lane of Interstate 80.

Luckily, I was in the right lane and so was able to pull off the freeway in short order. Got the lug wrench from my truck and was surprised to find I was unable to get the wrench on 2 of the 5 lug nuts. Called Triple A but it turns out we're not covered for our trailer. SO, not being too far from home, we unhitched and my wife drove home and got my sockets and a breaker bar. My neighbor helped her load up the floor jack too. I thought it would be easier (and safer) to pump that thing rather than twist the extensions on the scissor jack from the truck.... but that turned out to be a bad idea.

The jack slipped, the trailer fell and - where there had been no significant damage to the underside of the trailer, there was now the plate from the floor jack embedded in the floor beneath the refrigerator. What a mess.

So we went back to plan A, and used the truck jack and dropped the trailer stabilizers to avoid another calamity. Got the spare on and made it home without further incident.

My insurance sent an estimator who pointed out that the damage was confined to a small area. SO after I tried to take the job to a couple of local shops who are all too busy to take it in I've decided to fix the thing myself.

Does anyone have any experience patching up a hole in the deck of one of these things? My thought is to cut out the damaged area, screw down a piece of 3/8 plywood over the hole then glue and screw another piece of plywood in the hole. It doesn't seem as if any additional weight from the extra plywood should be a problem.

There's also some damage to the bottom of the refrigerator in the area above where the jack penetrated. The damage is only to the outer side - not through into the food area and the refer works fine. Should I just leave it alone or do I need to repair it? I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for any ideas/experiences.
mherte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

FYI, the floor of your camper is made with a special product that is a treated plywood. The info that came with mine states a long warranty period - I think 5 or 10 years. Check your documentation. You might also want to check with FR to see if you can purchase some from them.

Your repair idea sounds fine.

Can you post up photos of the reefer damage?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #3

I'd do the repair pretty much the same way. You might think about adhesive in addition to the screws just to make sure the patch holds to the structure wood. Or perhaps using machine screws with washers and nuts on the underside to prevent the fasteners from pulling out. Since its under the fridge there may be room for washers and screw heads sticking up on the top side instead of countersunk screws. With a dab of loc-tite, the patch would be worry free.

With the fridge, AFAIK, all the cooling components are on the back so the bottom is just insulation.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

Glad everyone was ok.
We too found out the RV was not covered under AAA after losing a wheel in GA. Who knew? (Well the help desk certainly did!). The nice lady did provide a couple phone #s.

If you use AAA make sure you have the RV policy. It does cost more.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

Yes, we have AAA with the RV coverage. Best extra $25/year or so deal ever...

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
when something caused me to look in the left side mirror of my tow vehicle. I was surprised to see smoke and debris coming from the left wheel of our trailer as the tire shredded, leaving the tread in the #2 lane of Interstate 80.
a good reason to get a TPMS system installed...
hard to know when you have a low tire on a trailer until it is too late to prevent damage

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

im curious as to why the jack slipped. Maybe a peice of wood or rubber would prevent that
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
edt

good Sam Emg road side service covers all vehicles I kept it even though we are nottowing trailer
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Senior Member

Triple A is the way to go.

We've got the extended coverage and it is a bargain.

One policy covers cars, motorcycles, and TT. They will come and tow for an extended distance should I request it. Choice is mine.

It even covers me if I am riding with someone else as a passenger.

I would never use the roadside coverage included in our vehicle insurance policy as it could result in a negative claim history.

I don't want something ending up on my CLUE that shouldn't be there.

BTW..... Google CLUE and you will be wiser if you don't know what it is.

Next, order the free CLUE report and you will be wiser still.

Happy Camping
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

If its new?..claim it.....
The flooring is a special feature of our campers....major amount of warranty . ...25 years...so i totally think they believe in there product....cudos to them...for the origional owner.....
That being said....if your able, and up to the task like poonneli ...suggested...for sure...you will probably do it much better than a paid for job dude, rushing through his day.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a good reason to get a TPMS system installed...
hard to know when you have a low tire on a trailer until it is too late to prevent damage

x2

TPMS can pay for themselves. First you might eliminate destroying a tire due to driving on it while it is doing a slow leak. Even of the damage to the tire makes it un-repairable you should prevent damage to the RV due to the tire flailing against the RV. (In the above example it appears the owner was lucky and the tire failure didn't do the damage.)
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
FYI, the floor of your camper is made with a special product that is a treated plywood. The info that came with mine states a long warranty period - I think 5 or 10 years. Check your documentation. You might also want to check with FR to see if you can purchase some from them.

Your repair idea sounds fine.

Can you post up photos of the reefer damage?
Check the floor warranty. It's for delamination. If it goes bad the wood mfr. will supply you a new sheet for you to install. You pay freight and labor.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherte View Post
Easter Sunday evening we were headed home after a nice weekend on the California coast when something caused me to look in the left side mirror of my tow vehicle. I was surprised to see smoke and debris coming from the left wheel of our trailer as the tire shredded, leaving the tread in the #2 lane of Interstate 80.

Luckily, I was in the right lane and so was able to pull off the freeway in short order. Got the lug wrench from my truck and was surprised to find I was unable to get the wrench on 2 of the 5 lug nuts. Called Triple A but it turns out we're not covered for our trailer. SO, not being too far from home, we unhitched and my wife drove home and got my sockets and a breaker bar. My neighbor helped her load up the floor jack too. I thought it would be easier (and safer) to pump that thing rather than twist the extensions on the scissor jack from the truck.... but that turned out to be a bad idea.

The jack slipped, the trailer fell and - where there had been no significant damage to the underside of the trailer, there was now the plate from the floor jack embedded in the floor beneath the refrigerator. What a mess.

So we went back to plan A, and used the truck jack and dropped the trailer stabilizers to avoid another calamity. Got the spare on and made it home without further incident.

My insurance sent an estimator who pointed out that the damage was confined to a small area. SO after I tried to take the job to a couple of local shops who are all too busy to take it in I've decided to fix the thing myself.

Does anyone have any experience patching up a hole in the deck of one of these things? My thought is to cut out the damaged area, screw down a piece of 3/8 plywood over the hole then glue and screw another piece of plywood in the hole. It doesn't seem as if any additional weight from the extra plywood should be a problem.

There's also some damage to the bottom of the refrigerator in the area above where the jack penetrated. The damage is only to the outer side - not through into the food area and the refer works fine. Should I just leave it alone or do I need to repair it? I have no idea how to do that.

I am so sorry this happened to you! I tried to explain to some folks on these boards why you don't use floor jacks to get underneath an RV (or a vehicle either) to do repairs, without planting stationary jacks first. Nah, they just use the floor jack. That puncture could be right through someone's skull or chest. I am very glad that didn't happen to you!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Nah, they just use the floor jack. That puncture could be right through someone's skull or chest.
am trying to figure out why you would put your skull or chest between the floor jack and the trailer, or how you would even do that?

I carry my full size floor jack in my van and have needed to use it a few times... 2 or 3 pieces of 2x6 under the jack on soft ground sure helps... much better and easier to use then standard car jacks

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #15

Jack under any solitary piece of framing that is available on the camper as for floor delamination that is impossible as there is no two materials involved in the manufacturing of this floor the floor is a compressed piece of fiber wood injected with some sort of a weird chemical that inhibits water penetration on both sides please if you don't know what you're talking about do not answer questions to individuals that need help on this line thank you Deemo
Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
please if you don't know what you're talking about do not answer questions to individuals that need help on this line thank you Deemo
Pet peeve on forums of all kinds, but an inevitability, it seems.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #17

This is the reason why a tire monitor is sooooo important to have. We have the TST 507 system and it alerts us immediately if there is an air or temperature problem with the trailer tires. The $250 we spent on the system pays us back with with peace of mind and a good chance of avoiding a repair bill due to damage caused by tire debris. I wouldn't tow without it.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
Yes, we have AAA with the RV coverage. Best extra $25/year or so deal ever...
I agree. In the area I live in the area is covered by two different AAA's. Only the one offers the RV package. Of course I had the wrong one so had to switch. I thought all AAA were the same but now know that is not the case. When you look at your card if it doesn't say Plus RV on it you are not covered.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherte View Post

If I might make a suggestion don't use a jack to change your trailer tire. Break the lug nuts loose then Use a ramp and pull the good tire up on it till the bad tire is off the ground. Then block the other side so it can't roll. If you take notice FR doesn't supply a jack with any of their trailers.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
If I might make a suggestion don't use a jack to change your trailer tire. Break the lug nuts loose then Use a ramp and pull the good tire up on it till the bad tire is off the ground. Then block the other side so it can't roll. If you take notice FR doesn't supply a jack with any of their trailers.

Jim
Great suggestion if you have 2 axles.

But in this case, what if there is only one? If you can chock the good wheel and lift the bad wheel with a jack under the axle or at the least the frame right next to it. Glad it's not too bad, and your able to fix yourself. Should be pretty easy. Just seal it well and use treated wood.

Tags
tire