Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
Blown Tire and aftermath

Easter Sunday evening we were headed home after a nice weekend on the California coast when something caused me to look in the left side mirror of my tow vehicle. I was surprised to see smoke and debris coming from the left wheel of our trailer as the tire shredded, leaving the tread in the #2 lane of Interstate 80.

Luckily, I was in the right lane and so was able to pull off the freeway in short order. Got the lug wrench from my truck and was surprised to find I was unable to get the wrench on 2 of the 5 lug nuts. Called Triple A but it turns out we're not covered for our trailer. SO, not being too far from home, we unhitched and my wife drove home and got my sockets and a breaker bar. My neighbor helped her load up the floor jack too. I thought it would be easier (and safer) to pump that thing rather than twist the extensions on the scissor jack from the truck.... but that turned out to be a bad idea.

The jack slipped, the trailer fell and - where there had been no significant damage to the underside of the trailer, there was now the plate from the floor jack embedded in the floor beneath the refrigerator. What a mess.

So we went back to plan A, and used the truck jack and dropped the trailer stabilizers to avoid another calamity. Got the spare on and made it home without further incident.

My insurance sent an estimator who pointed out that the damage was confined to a small area. SO after I tried to take the job to a couple of local shops who are all too busy to take it in I've decided to fix the thing myself.

Does anyone have any experience patching up a hole in the deck of one of these things? My thought is to cut out the damaged area, screw down a piece of 3/8 plywood over the hole then glue and screw another piece of plywood in the hole. It doesn't seem as if any additional weight from the extra plywood should be a problem.

There's also some damage to the bottom of the refrigerator in the area above where the jack penetrated. The damage is only to the outer side - not through into the food area and the refer works fine. Should I just leave it alone or do I need to repair it? I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for any ideas/experiences.

2013 Flagstaff T12RB
2005 F150 4.6L V8 2WD Supercab
mherte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
FYI, the floor of your camper is made with a special product that is a treated plywood. The info that came with mine states a long warranty period - I think 5 or 10 years. Check your documentation. You might also want to check with FR to see if you can purchase some from them.

Your repair idea sounds fine.

Can you post up photos of the reefer damage?

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
I'd do the repair pretty much the same way. You might think about adhesive in addition to the screws just to make sure the patch holds to the structure wood. Or perhaps using machine screws with washers and nuts on the underside to prevent the fasteners from pulling out. Since its under the fridge there may be room for washers and screw heads sticking up on the top side instead of countersunk screws. With a dab of loc-tite, the patch would be worry free.

With the fridge, AFAIK, all the cooling components are on the back so the bottom is just insulation.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
Glad everyone was ok.
We too found out the RV was not covered under AAA after losing a wheel in GA. Who knew? (Well the help desk certainly did!). The nice lady did provide a couple phone #s.

If you use AAA make sure you have the RV policy. It does cost more.
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Yes, we have AAA with the RV coverage. Best extra $25/year or so deal ever...
Joe & Sue - Camp Mutts Zeke & Dazey
2008 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RKS
2008 Ford F-150

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
when something caused me to look in the left side mirror of my tow vehicle. I was surprised to see smoke and debris coming from the left wheel of our trailer as the tire shredded, leaving the tread in the #2 lane of Interstate 80.
a good reason to get a TPMS system installed...
hard to know when you have a low tire on a trailer until it is too late to prevent damage

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
im curious as to why the jack slipped. Maybe a peice of wood or rubber would prevent that
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
good Sam Emg road side service covers all vehicles I kept it even though we are nottowing trailer
North Ga
2015 40' cls
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Triple A is the way to go.

We've got the extended coverage and it is a bargain.

One policy covers cars, motorcycles, and TT. They will come and tow for an extended distance should I request it. Choice is mine.

It even covers me if I am riding with someone else as a passenger.

I would never use the roadside coverage included in our vehicle insurance policy as it could result in a negative claim history.

I don't want something ending up on my CLUE that shouldn't be there.

BTW..... Google CLUE and you will be wiser if you don't know what it is.

Next, order the free CLUE report and you will be wiser still.

Happy Camping
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
If its new?..claim it.....
The flooring is a special feature of our campers....major amount of warranty . ...25 i totally think they believe in there product....cudos to them...for the origional owner.....
That being said....if your able, and up to the task like poonneli ...suggested...for will probably do it much better than a paid for job dude, rushing through his day.

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote