Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #21

I started a thread a while back on the installation of a Thornwave Bluetooth battery monitor that measures current, voltage, and state of charge. Here is the thread -->http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-161465.html So far I have been happy with the installation. I can monitor everything from my phone. The bluetooth distance is so good that I can monitor it from within my house with the A-frame sitting in the driveway.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #22

It doesn't matter technically if you put the disconnect on positive or negative lines. The convention is the positive side. Every RV I have seen that have a disconnect installed from the factory have them on the positive side. All documents that BlueSea has on their website have it in the positive side.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
I started a thread a while back on the installation of a Thornwave Bluetooth battery monitor that measures current, voltage, and state of charge. Here is the thread -->http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-161465.html So far I have been happy with the installation. I can monitor everything from my phone. The bluetooth distance is so good that I can monitor it from within my house with the A-frame sitting in the driveway.
Does your battery monitor have a Peukerts constant setting?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Does your battery monitor have a Peukerts constant setting?
According to their online data they do but it appears that it is fixed for each battery type (FLA, AGM, LiFePo etc.).

In reading it appears to be much like a Victron with there being no integrated display and less user control over various parameters. Merely an inline device with all display solely to a bluetooth device.

https://www.thornwave.com/res/btdcpm_um.pdf

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
According to their online data they do but it appears that it is fixed for each battery type (FLA, AGM, LiFePo etc.).

In reading it appears to be much like a Victron with there being no integrated display and less user control over various parameters. Merely an inline device with all display solely to a bluetooth device.

https://www.thornwave.com/res/btdcpm_um.pdf
It appears to be good for low current applications but will be close to price of the Victron 712 if you need an external shunt.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
It appears to be good for low current applications but will be close to price of the Victron 712 if you need an external shunt.
I observed the same. With a 60 amp max on internal shunt it would be fine for most RV's as long as they don't have a large inverter and/or converter-charger larger than that amount.

Does look like a good unit for those who don't have a place for a display or don't want to cut holes and run a control wire.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #27

Considering that this is the A-frame forum, I doubt many A-frame people have a current draw that exceeds 60 Amps The stock trailer wiring to the battery is only 8 AWG.

The biggest benefit I have found from the device is that while I am towing I can actually see if current is going in or out of the trailer battery. I was curious what happens when my 3 way fridge is on 12V while towing. I found out that my tow vehicle keeps up fine with supplying enough current to run the fridge and ever so slightly provide a slight trickle charge to the trailer battery at the same time.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Considering that this is the A-frame forum, I doubt many A-frame people have a current draw that exceeds 60 Amps The stock trailer wiring to the battery is only 8 AWG.
This is also true of many Travel Trailers. #8 Awg wire from 55-60 amp converter to battery.

The issue arises when people install an inverter to run a microwave, coffee pot, or other appliances and install the inverter next to the battery on it's own wires (often #6 or larger). Current can be a lot higher than 60 amp although for a short time unless they've added more battery capacity.

The 60 amp limitation would only affect those who are running Inverters or other high draw accessories. The solution is simple, just add a larger shunt and adjust settings. Things that are worth noting if one is shopping for a lower cost monitor than those like the Victron. To make it apples to apples with those that use larger shunts for higher current, extra cost is necessary.

No stones being thrown at the unit in discussion.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #29

Even my 25' trailer had 8 gauge from the battery to the rest of the trailer. Got rid of some of that.

Tags
battery, switch