Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Breakaway cable

Searching through the forums I see I am not the only one who has disengaged the breakaway switch while driving. It was not until we were at the campsite that we noticed the problem. Can someone show me where to replace the flat " key" portion of the breakaway cable?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

If it came out and you just discovered it at a campground, I would suspect your trailer brakes are now toast. It connects to a little black box close to the hitch.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it came out and you just discovered it at a campground, I would suspect your trailer brakes are now toast. It connects to a little black box close to the hitch.
X2? - you didn't feel like your RV brakes were dragging? Do you have a charged battery in the RV?

It sounds like there's more to the story than what's being told us.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Actually felt no dragging and no lock up of the brakes. The battery was not hooked up during the drive. We think it may have happened at the campsite since there was a big dip in the site. The cable was not damaged so it could not have been dragging on the drive.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

You just need to push the pin back into the switch from the ball side. When connected, you should have sufficient slack in the cable to allow for sharp turns ( and dips) with out pulling the pin out. On another note, it is illegal in most if not all states to tow a trailer with electric brakes without a working break-away switch and battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1050 View Post
Actually felt no dragging and no lock up of the brakes. The battery was not hooked up during the drive. We think it may have happened at the campsite since there was a big dip in the site. The cable was not damaged so it could not have been dragging on the drive.

So do you know disconnected the battery? Probably the same person pulled the breakaway cable for some unknown reason. That's the reason you felt no dragging. You also had no electric braking or an operative electric braking system as required by law.

As Flybob states - if your RV is equipped with electric brakes,it must also have an operative battery and breakaway cable hookup to be legal.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Searching through the forums I see I am not the only one who has disengaged the breakaway switch while driving. It was not until we were at the campsite that we noticed the problem. Can someone show me where to replace the flat " key" portion of the breakaway cable?

Howdy K1050, the problem you may encounter is that the "pin" to the breakaway switch is not just universal depending on the brand. Different brands will have different shapes and styles of pins.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1DK1M8KEGBSJE3

If you know the brand/model of the breakaway switch, you might can go to a trailer supply store (and some automotive stores) and get the pin. I almost want to say I've seen one brand at Tractor Supply too.

Hopkins Manufacturing 20009 - Break-Away Cable | O'Reilly Auto Parts

However, these breakaway switches are usually less than $20 for a whole new unit. They are just attached to the trailer frame by one bolt, and two wires that you can splice. It's very easy to just replace the whole unit.....which may be your best bet. I don't know the history of your switch, but maybe have doubts if it is still good.

These switches will often melt internally if they have been energized by the battery for awhile once the pin gets pulled (either by purpose or on accident). We have had several members who incorrectly pulled the pin to set the brakes while camping....and thus had to replace melted breakaway switches.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice everyone. Having never owned a camper before we were dependent on the walk through to go over all the must dos. We have never had issues with the brakes before and have always heard them so the battery must have been connected. There is always something to learn here. This is our view this weekend so I am thankful for that. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1416748738.395118.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	876.1 KB
ID:	66770

Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Having never owned a camper before we were dependent on the walk through to go over all the must dos. We have never had issues with the brakes before and have always heard them so the battery must have been connected. There is always something to learn here. This is our view this weekend so I am thankful for that. Attachment 66770

Don't worry about it you can get a new brake controller at most any auto parts store, just call and ask before driving there to get one so no wasted trip looking for one. Good view is that a cruise ship in the back ground? I've been wanting to go camp since Thursday but rain, rain, and more rain. 4" just in the last 2 days.
Have fun every trip is an adventure worth remembering.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:

So, just to be clear - there are multiple things at play here.

1) the breakaway switch is for the brakes and is supposed to activate them if the camper comes separate from the tow vehicle

2) the battery for the camper. It'll have battery cables - 1 going to the positive and negative terminals. This gives you power when you're not connected to campground (or home) electric (and not plugged into your truck). This also energizes the brakes when the breakaway cable gets pulled. This should energize the brakes even if your 7-pin connector is disconnected.

3) your 7-pin connector (aka umbilical cord) connects your tow vehicle to the camper. The controls the turn signals, sometimes gives a charge to the battery as you drive, and tells the brakes when you press on the in the truck. It's wholly unused in a breakaway situation.

From reading your post, it sounds like 1 and 3 were disconnected. Is this correct? What is the state of #2?

If #2 was still connected, you're going to want to find out why the brakes didn't lock up. The whole purpose of #1 is if the camper separates from the tow vehicle is to apply its brakes to stop the trailer ASAP.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #11

We were defiantly situation #2. 7 pin connector was hooked up and we had turn signals. Battery to the camper was not hooked up. Now I know it must be hooked up for the breakaway connector to work. We should be fine once the flat "key" is replaced for the trip home. And yes, that is a cruise ship in my photo. We are right next to Port Canaveral and have cruise ships docked behind us. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
We were defiantly situation #2. 7 pin connector was hooked up and we had turn signals. Battery to the camper was not hooked up. Now I know it must be hooked up for the breakaway connector to work. We should be fine once the flat "key" is replaced for the trip home. And yes, that is a cruise ship in my photo. We are right next to Port Canaveral and have cruise ships docked behind us. Thanks everyone.

K1050, I sent you a PM earlier this morning. Just to be sure of something, do you currently have a battery in your RV hooked up, along with the pin removed to the breakaway switch?

If so, then the breakaway switch is constantly being energized (as well as your trailer brakes) from the RV battery and will most likely melt/burn up something (if not already).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
So do you know disconnected the battery? Probably the same person pulled the breakaway cable for some unknown reason. That's the reason you felt no dragging. You also had no electric braking or an operative electric braking system as required by law.

As Flybob states - if your RV is equipped with electric brakes,it must also have an operative battery and breakaway cable hookup to be legal.
Hello B47 - Actually if you read post 11, he would have had service brakes during his drive but would not have had any breakaway braking without a battery installed in the trailer. I might have misinterpreted your post of no electric braking.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Hello B47 - Actually if you read post 11, he would have had service brakes during his drive but would not have had any breakaway braking without a battery installed in the trailer. I might have misinterpreted your post of no electric braking.
Yes you're correct. I was only referring to her ( female in sig line ) breakaway system being inoperative without a battery installed in the RV.

I probably should have narrowed my reply to indicate such.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

Good for you, K1050 for seeking out info on this. The vast majority of us will never need that switch, but everyone is safer because people try to learn and practice precautions. Here are a few things that might help you. Most of which you probably already know.

The brakes must be used while towing through a controller in your TV.

The brakes must be capable of slowing the camper if it breaks fully away from your TV. That requires a 12V connection on the camper to the breakaway switch. That is, a connection to the camper battery.

If you want to disconnect the camper battery from the camper electrical system when towing, you must mod the wiring. The ground wire must always be connected to the battery. The switch is connected to the hot side wire under the front left, or service side, of the trailer frame, so the mod is to cut the switch wire and splice a new connection straight to the positive terminal.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote