Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Broken Window in A122S

I arrived at my campsite last Thursday afternoon, opened the door to set up my A122S and there was shattered glass everywhere!!! The sliding window over the sink was busted....the glass that was on the top of the folded wall worked its way on to the bed, into the cushions on the booth and into all the bedding as I was driving down the road....just everywhere...what a mess....my unit is within my year warranty so I am working to have the window replaced...we will see how that goes...the question is why did it break and will it do it again...I am "guessing" maybe over a railroad track or bump in the road that "maybe" the window hit the top of the faucet...I don't think that should happen but that is my guess...from now on the window will be open when I close the unit down ... don't even know if that is how it broke...I was just driving down the highway...I will also be looking into putting some type of film on the windows in case this ever happens again. ***note...just got a call...they are covering the window and will actually be replacing the entire window on that side of the unit...so glad to hear that...
onaqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #2

This, im sure is the first time we have read of this problem on this forum. It kinda stands to reason tho ... as the passenger side wall rests on the centre bar of the sink side windo when folded down. Glad to hear FR is covering this incident. Perhaps the roof should be tightened down a bit more on the latches to prevent this, or a soft sponge be inserted between the sink side window and the microwave table top.
Im a very slow cruiser when driving over RR tracks, but my camper too has seen some very rough roads.

d-mo
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Retread Popup Owner

I was just wondering about this very thing when I was folding up our camper yesterday. I was looking at how the door side wall lies on the center post of the window on the window side wall, and thought as I laid the door side wall down that there was more flex in the window than I expected.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #4

A friend of mine had that same window brake also.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

My trailer is in the storage yard so I can't see how close the window is to the faucet. Going forward, is anyone going to put a pillow on top of the faucet? I know I will. Any better ideas?
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

im thinking the faucet is not the problem ... its the support from door frame side that rests on the centre of the window .. when the unit is collapsed.

nothing really to worry about anyways .. if its still covered under warrenty. my 100 dollar FR lifetime warrenty covers this problem .. and my leakie back window .. which is in the shop now .. hopefully getting fixed .. cause i just gave up on caulking the darn thing ...

d-mo
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

I just looked at my camper. The clearance from the window to the faucet is less than an inch, I can't even get a full finger in there. It seems plausible to me that the pressure of the three contact points of the curb side A-wall sitting on the service side window frame could drive the glass into the faucet. It is also possible that the contact points simply pressed the frame enough to break the glass. What ever it was, it should take a lot force to break that tempered glass so lets hope the combination of the events caused it are a rare coincidence.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

When I had windows brake in my old 1969 Airstream I replaced the broken ones with polycarbonate(?) sheets I got at Home Depot. They are flexible, crystal clear and have not scratched after cleaning them for about 15 years. In fact they are clearer then the original "glass" windows.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #9

Thinking maybe the first wall that folds down above the faucet that sits on the microwave cabinet...maybe it needs a little taller rubber stopper...???? That will give more clearance above the sink...I am afraid if something sits on the faucet like a pillow it will cause more stress on the window as it flexes as I drive down the road. Also thinking that the window closed causes the flex to be more sturdy than if I leave the window open... Any thoughts????
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

And let me just add....I LOVE my camper...even after the broken window incident...love the ease of setting up, the fact that I can see over and around as I drive down the road, the gas mileage and the comfort...!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaqwest View Post
Thinking maybe the first wall that folds down above the faucet that sits on the microwave cabinet...maybe it needs a little taller rubber stopper...???? That will give more clearance above the sink...I am afraid if something sits on the faucet like a pillow it will cause more stress on the window as it flexes as I drive down the road. Also thinking that the window closed causes the flex to be more sturdy than if I leave the window open... Any thoughts????
I agree that lifting the service side A wall when folded would be a good place to start. Although it can only go up so much before it starts to interfere with the curb side A wall and the roof closing.

Given the positioning of the faucet next to the hinge, you would have to get quite a lift on the rubber bumper to make much difference in the faucet clearance. Let us know if you do anything and how it works out.

It still seems possible that you just happen to have a rare coincided of events that caused the breakage.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Mostly Harmless

And sometimes tempered glass just breaks due to stresses in the glass. One of our refrigerator shelves (at home) exploded all over the inside of the fridge a couple years ago. The glass shop said the triggering event can be something very minor.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122