Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
bubble removal?

Does anyone know the process involved in removing the bubble windows on top of these A-Frames? I would like to look into replacing them with laminated safety glass. I'm going to talk to a glass place about gluing the glass in the place of the bubbles to see the options there, but I want to understand the bubble removal process. I believe that dark tinted safety glass would be a huge improvement. Not much different than a car sunroof.

skipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
An intriguing mod, I can see the appeal. Have you considered the added weight of the glass and how that would work with the roof?

What about tinted Lexan? Much more expensive but much lighter and stronger than glass and much greater scratch resistance than the acrylic bubble windows.

Let us know what you do and post some pictures.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
You will lose some head room at the dinette! Just curious, what's the problem with the bubble windows?
99 4runner
T12BH Aframe
68Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Originally Posted by 68Triumph View Post
You will lose some head room at the dinette! Just curious, what's the problem with the bubble windows?
First, the bubbles do not stay clear. They get cloudy with age and glass will not do that. Also, the bubbles are a huge heat source to the camper in the summer. Seconds, I don't think dark tinted glass would be such a large source of heat - thicker material and less surface area. I don't envision a time where I'll need the headroom from the bubble, as that would be sort of weird to be sitting at the table with my head in the dome. Also, I'd be more comfortable covering glass with a material for long lengths of time vs. plastic. I would like to get a piece of vinyl or other material to place on top of the glass to block the sunlight. Like the material a boat cover is made out of, cut (professionally) to fit each window. Maybe put velcro around each window or something? I'd like the ability to keep the inside of the camper dark. We put limo tint on the side windows, and not only did it add privacy (main reason for the install), but drastically cut down the heat input into the camper.
skipi is offline   Reply With Quote