Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Bubble Windows On Roof Panels

I have owned my A122 for about 2 1/2 years and have been very happy with the camper, but the bubble window developed cracks shortly after delivery, which resulted in the window being replaced and 3 M taped.
My window has been trouble free since the fix, but I have seen numerous threads about this issues.
The bubble window also has to be re-caulked on a regular basis, which is just another maintenance item to address . I see no purpose to the windows except as a potential leak or repair issue. The side windows allow plenty of light into the camper and I always have the shade pulled down so there really is no extra room created by the raised bubble window and I have never stuck my head into the recessed area. I do not spend a lot of time in the camper during daylight hours and mainly use it has a dry and safe place to sleep or watch an occasional movie.

I would love to see FR offer the option of no roof windows, which would significantly reduce the amount of leak, repair and maintenance issues.
I am just curious if anybody else has the same thoughts...

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

I love the bubble windows. My spouse is nearly 6'3" and the windows prevent him from hitting his head when we eat at the dining table or he is hanging out on the sofa bed. We don't always camp in the greatest of weather, there have been many times oit that we've been chased inside due to heavy rain, wind or heat. Those windows are fantastic. The only time I pull the blinds is when we go to bed or to block out the heat of the sun blazing directly thru the window. We store our A-Frame inside our shop, so it is completely protected from exposure unless we are using it on a trip.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

I keep my shades closed most of the time so the windows are of little use to me. Like you, I could personally do without them because I don't even set up my table at camp. But I see the design issues involved. They really could not seat four at the front table if the windows were not there. Nor could the models with the rear pull out sofa work without people risking banging their heads.

The problem I see is that of lower cost and quality materials and assembly methods that work for, and sometimes fail to achieve, that "good enough" balance. It does seem though that a bit more thought on the engineering side could produce a better product.

Then there are the marketing issues of pleasing the dealers by not giving first time buyers so many choices that it take too much time or marketing ability to sell a camper. In many ways, the dealer is the customer, not the buyer. And I have run into some surprisingly uneducated sales staff.

For that, all I can think is welcome to RV camping. It is not like going to REI to buy a tent where buyers are experienced, can judge the options and return the product for any reason.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

My wife and I both love our bubble windows. We don't spend a lot of time inside either unless it's just too hot or raining but I love to wake up in the early morning and look at the trees or stars through the bubble windows.

I pull the blinds at night while I'm getting dressed for bed and then open them again. I just love looking out through all the windows.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof