Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Cabinet Edging Won't Stay On!!

Hello, Happy Campers!!

We have a problem with the adhesive in our A-Frame.

We have the universal issue of the Velcro holding the fabric panels on getting hot and melting off. My question is about the decorative edging on the counter top that holds the sink/stove/fridge;when it gets hot the adhesive that holds that on melts and the edging comes off.

Not a huge deal but it WILL affect our resale! Has anyone had that issue and how have you dealt with it? We are VERY careful and loving with our A-Frame and want to be able to to get the most out of it when we go to trade up!!
Pterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

How old is your A-Frame? Is it still under warranty?

The edge trim on mine came out once because of something i did but I tapped it back into place. The edge trim in my 2012 fits into a channel, it's not glued.

Already thinking of resale? Are you unhappy with the A-Frame?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Gorilla Glue. Be careful not to use too much because it does expand once activated (wetted). Check back soon to wipe off any excess.

One big challenge will be to find something to hold the trim in place while the glue (or whatever other adhesive you land on) dries in place. If possible, use something like expanding shower rods to prop up the trim using pressure against the opposite wall of the RV. Or kick for some edge clamps, if there is sufficient space to attach them (just Google "edge clamp" in quotes to see several options).
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

Handbuilder-
This is our second summer with our A-frame, we've not been very impressed with the warranty.

ADORE our A-frame but looking to move up to 'indoor plumbing;' you know what they say, "Your first trailer is not your last trailer!!"

MNTraveler-
Gorilla Glue, bloody BRILLIANT!! I also love the shower curtain rod idea, that's perfect for this situation!!

Thanks gang, I appreciate the thoughts!!
Pterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

👍👍

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 19; RV to date: 22
Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Try contact cement. You can buy in small bottle. Brush on both sides and let dry first. You won't need clamps, once you make contact its a done deal. No expansion of product to deal with either
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

My experience with Velcro Adh,,, is it will not hold when it gets Hot !!!
Contact Cement will hold just about anything,,, if used right !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterrible View Post
Hello, Happy Campers!!

We have a problem with the adhesive in our A-Frame.

We have the universal issue of the Velcro holding the fabric panels on getting hot and melting off. My question is about the decorative edging on the counter top that holds the sink/stove/fridge;when it gets hot the adhesive that holds that on melts and the edging comes off.

Not a huge deal but it WILL affect our resale! Has anyone had that issue and how have you dealt with it? We are VERY careful and loving with our A-Frame and want to be able to to get the most out of it when we go to trade up!!
I use PL2000 for all interior moldings etc that come loose. Use sparingly. It's a lifetime fix.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Go to Harbor Freight and get a 23 guage pin nailer. The pins come in 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inch lengths. 6000 pins fit in the palm of your hand and you can't see where you have put them. I have used these to attach all kinds of trim without splitting the wood. You probably have a compressor to keep your tires inflated that will run this beauty.

23 Gauge Pin Air Nailer
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Kitt View Post
Go to Harbor Freight and get a 23 guage pin nailer. The pins come in 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inch lengths. 6000 pins fit in the palm of your hand and you can't see where you have put them. I have used these to attach all kinds of trim without splitting the wood. You probably have a compressor to keep your tires inflated that will run this beauty.

23 Gauge Pin Air Nailer
I do not think you would use a Pin Nailer on Formica would ya ???
Formica is what I thought he was having trouble with ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I do not think you would use a Pin Nailer on Formica would ya ???
Formica is what I thought he was having trouble with ???
Edging on mine is vinyl of some sort. The countertop is formica. I think the problem was with the edging.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

Go with contact cement ( as someone already stated), be sure and follow the instructions. Gorilla glue may also work, I haven't used it enough to say. Good Luck.
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #13

My issue with the cabinet edging (or counter trim as I say) is that the trim/edging is either misaligned or too narrow, so it does not cover the whole height of the counter edge; thus, there is some exposed particleboard below the formica or whatever. This is true of just about every counter edge in my trailer, some worse than others, and the dealer is looking into what might be done about it.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #14

It sounds there may have had some counter board swelling.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
My issue with the cabinet edging (or counter trim as I say) is that the trim/edging is either misaligned or too narrow, so it does not cover the whole height of the counter edge; thus, there is some exposed particleboard below the formica or whatever. This is true of just about every counter edge in my trailer, some worse than others, and the dealer is looking into what might be done about it.

I've got the same in my trailer. I think the size of the molding when it makes the turn stretches out of shape and isn't wide enough to cover the edge at the turn. I hope I'm explaining it properly. It's just garbage material that was used. IMHO 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 t19qbhw
2015 Toyota Tundra crewmax lmtd
Old 08-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #16

I should also state I'm not too concerned coming from tent camping. These trailers to me are still the best thing since sliced bread

2015 t19qbhw
Old 08-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I've got the same in my trailer. I think the size of the molding when it makes the turn stretches out of shape and isn't wide enough to cover the edge at the turn. I hope I'm explaining it properly. It's just garbage material that was used. IMHO 😀

2015 t19qbhw
The only fix I can think of other than replacing the molding (to use a third term!) is to seal the exposed particleboard with some kind of filler to protect the edge of the formica - because that is already getting worn in one spot on mine and a service person at the dealer volunteered that I may be getting a new countertop because of it. Not sure whether to be happy about that or not - who knows what other problems could arise during its replacement!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #18

Pin Nailer

The 23 gauge is good because it will not split the Formica. Holes small enough to fill with crayon wax which will also take a shine. (23 gauge is same size as the needle for a B12 shot.) It will work if the glue does not. I just put Formica over the top and trim on my bar/island. The contact glue works good paint it on both pieces, wait till the glue does not stick to your fingers, (about 10 - 20 min) and then place the pieces together and press them hard.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote