Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Can you give a bit more detail about the piece you posted a photo of?
I'm not sure what make Tinsu's hitch is, but I have the exact same thing made by Reese -a fairly popular maker of towing accessories.
It's rated for 500 pounds tongue weight and 5000 trailer weight and costs about 40 bucks in Canada.
It sounds like you'll do fine with the rig you have, though I'll second the advice to use 4-low when you're going up that driveway.

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Flagstaff T10RD
Yukon Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
RE: #1 We had a dealer install a brake controller, a Tekonsha Voyager 9030. It was their recommendation. Hope they made an appropriate choice, without overselling us! Like I said, we're new to this party, and since we don't know what we don't know, will have to trust their experience. That's one reason why this forum is such a great resource! Going forward, we'll have another source of information to help in decision-making.
RE: #2 Upon pickup of the unit later this week, it is possible that we may be able to use the previous owner's similar-looking stepdown piece, or if we must purchase a different size to safely tow. Can you give a bit more detail about the piece you posted a photo of?
RE: #3 Are you referring to the brake lights and blinkers of the camper, or the Jeep?

Thanks again to all who have given their imput on this. Very valuable!
#1) I had dealer install his recommended brake controller. Like you, I had no prior knowledge. It works great, and I have no idea what brand or whether it's a "good one." After you get the unit, you should probably drive back to the dealer and see if he needs to adjust it. There's a sweet spot on the controller: too tight and your trailer's brakes lock hard, and too light and you don't get any help. My dealer took my unit for a short test drive and adjusted it once or twice.

#2) A few years ago, I rented a PUP and the dealer sold me the ball mount (the step down piece). My new dealer (where I bought the A122) said it would work fine. You probably could use the seller's ball mount. But, I would worry about whether it's the right size. Why don't you drive over to the dealer who installed the brake controller and ask him to sell you the right size ball mount for your GC with a Rockwood popup.

#3) Yes, I was referring to the brake lights, running lights, and blinkers on the camper. My dealer had to splice electrical lines, install a plug and run it to the rear of my Jeep. He probably did this when he installed the brake controller. Again, make sure you check all these lights when you pick up the PUP and plug it in.

Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Those are excellent suggestions that we will most likely follow through on when we pick up the unit! Appreciate your feedback!

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote