Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Campfire Question

Has anyone ever used duraflame logs for campfires? The wood for sale around campgrounds is usually so wet it won't burn.
papa and gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa and gram View Post
Has anyone ever used duraflame logs for campfires? The wood for sale around campgrounds is usually so wet it won't burn.
Ive used Duraflame fire starter logs (small log) to start a wood fire. I don't see why you couldn't use the log though. Not quite the same but when your wood is wet, better than nothing.

I've started using this to start my fires. A 1/2 cup or a handful in a pile will light no matter how wet the ground is. Puts up a nice flame for 10 minutes or so. Has worked great for me. This is 2nds and it comes from when they clean out their machines.

https://www.amazon.com/InstaFire-Eco...ords=instafire

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

I use them all the time. 3 or 4 logs will last about 3.5 hours which is perfect. They are easy to light and don't emit a huge plume of smoke, and burn completely. They are expensive and can add considerable weight to your payload but IMO they are worth it.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

I use match n lite coals to get damp wood to go and I can use them in the BBQ. I've also started using a Benzomatic propane torch for starting my camp fires. I'm well past proving my manliness starting fires with one match. Bring on the torch!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Rockwood A212HW
2000 Ford F-250 7.3lt 2WD
Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa and gram View Post
Campground "firewood" is often bad stuff, even if dry. If you could build a house out of it, the insurance company would give you a break on the fire policy.

We often use a Duraflame log as the base for a fire. Sometimes I need to soak the logs with charcoal lighter fluid too.

Funny story.

One time all I could find was a local grocery brand fire log, which simply wouldn't light. We finally covered it in lighter fluid and it partially burned after that. Barely enough to get the wood lit. We still laugh about it. The event cemented my reputation as a non-fire builder in my group. So I now let other build the fires so I can enjoy them. All's well that ends well.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

I cruise Home Depot and Lowes in late spring waiting for their bundled fire wood to go on sale for 1/2 price or better, then buy many bundles and store at home.
I'll pack many bundles in the truck when we go camping. Their wood is always dry and burns great.
I actually bought 50 bundles one year for $2.25 each.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I cruise Home Depot and Lowes in late spring waiting for their bundled fire wood to go on sale for 1/2 price or better, then buy many bundles and store at home.
I'll pack many bundles in the truck when we go camping. Their wood is always dry and burns great.
I actually bought 50 bundles one year for $2.25 each.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!
Why not just buy a truck load of wood, then? I have a local guy that will deliver and stack a pickup truck load of oak and maple for $75. Usually one load lasts me most of a camping season.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I use an old saw to cut 1/2" discs from a duraflame log and store them in a plastic bag. They make great fire starters and burn long enough to start green wood.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Always Learning

I tried Wood Bricks- similar concept, different product.

http://learntorv.com/wood-brick-fuel-first-thoughts/
Old 12-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #10

I could have a load a firewood delivered but I like convenience of a bundle of wood with the carrying strap.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

Old 12-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

Duraflame is chemically based....bad for the environment....or your fireplace . ..go natural...or go home.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #12

I would not cook or roast marshmallows over anything other than real wood or charcoal.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Frito corn chips make a great fire starter. I use stale ones but I suppose you could use fresh ones!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #14

Over the years, my wife and I have used Duraflame-type logs, bought firewood at the campground and occasionally brought wood from home if we’re camping locally. More often than not these days, we forego burning wood and use our portable propane Campfire in a Can. It lights instantly and all it takes to extinguish it at bedtime is a flick of the gas knob. It puts out a nice, romantic flame, albeit without the crackle and aroma of real wood. Since it doesn’t produce smoke, we can sit anywhere we want around the fire and our clothes don’t end up stinking of smoke. Best of all, it can be used in most places even when there’s a campfire ban. It’s not large, but we’ve had as many of six people circling the fire for evening comradery.
danleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #15

I use tiki torch fluid. Wad up 3 sheets of newspaper, build a teepee with smaller logs and then douse it all with the fluid. Unless it's super wet it works every time.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Duraflame is chemically based....bad for the environment....or your fireplace . ..go natural...or go home.
I beg to differ. "Manufactured firelogs, such as those made by Duraflame and Java Logs, are made of compressed sawdust, vegetable and plant wax, and other recycled ingredients, such as ground nutshells or coffee grounds. These ingredients are mixed together and shaped into log like shapes. " this is from a website run by a gal called TreeHugger aka Helen Suh MacIntosh. In several areas of the country, EPA types recommend the manufactured logs over natural wood.

With that said, they don't burn as hot as good, dry hardwood. And, I don't think I want to toast marshmallows over one. However, a small chunk of one makes a great fire starter and you don't have to worry about them leaking!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote