Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #41

Nice to know about rest stops along Quebec. Does anybody know if there good rest stops along the TCH? I will for sure need to rest during my way back from Fundy NB site, over 1500 km drive home.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #42

there are no rest areas along the new TCH in NB. There as are no services along the highway. You will have to leave the highway to get fuel. Depending on which route you take it is a 5 to 6 hour drive from the Fundy coast to the Quebec border. Plus there are no gas stations on highway 20 in Quebec. There are several nest to the highway and others are in small communities that could be up to several miles from the main highway.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #43

there are tons of gas stations along the highway on route 20 in Quebec.... signs are abundant .... at the most you will be running a quarter mile to get gas at any given exit.
i have done this route tons of times .. towing .. with no issues at all.

d mo
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #44

As D-mo has stated there are a lot of gas stations along highway in Quebec. You will not have a problem getting gas. I have found that I had to drive about 5 miles to the town in order to get gas. This is not common but does happen in in several places along the highway.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #45

It is great to get real information from your trip experiences and I will for sure share mine during my trip.

I have a hotspot device using Rogers service and so far in all my previous camping trip the Internet services has been good enough to view this forum and update my thread....
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1122245901.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	35509
With this device I can access the Internet in any of my WIFI devices, this include my iPod, notebook and iPad, actually up to 5 devices could be connected. I had this for over 3 years and has the following data flex plan:
$5 20 MB
$15 150 MB
$25 500 MB
5 cents per MB over 500 MB
I hardy go over $5 monthly because of free wifi but in this trip, I will use it to get interesting destinations spots and information, I won't hesitate to use it if I don't find free WIFI location. I have my work cell for unlimited send/receive texting and use voice for emergency only. My monthly mobile/data is $5 so going crazy with my hotspot in this trip will be ok.

I have been reading in the other forum in Facebook about the A-Frame wind kit and how much damage the wind could do to our rig. I don't have the kit, so I will always check the wind condition/weather every day using my hotspot device.

Does anybody know how much wind our rig could handle when it is up?
What wind speed is not safe to take down or put up the A-Fame?
What else should I be aware to avoid damages to my A128S?

Here are the check list I will do to the TT and TV before each long trip:
- Tire pressure
- Fluid levels
- chain hookup
- tongue weight
- pigtail hookup
- adjust electric brake controller
- fridge set to battery
- all door panels are locked or secured
- hitch ball is properly mounted and locked
- extended mirrors are securely mounted, adjusted and cleaned
- all my GPS programmed correctly for next stop
- CarCorder ready to record trip and memory space available, 16 GIG= 3.5 hours of video
- lights and signal lights check with TV/TT
- remember to gas up
- have snacks and drinks available during driving
- record odometer and gas usage

Please point out any task that should be included in the check list

I'm still in my preparation stage towards my trip. I got more tour guide information for each provinces and I got my TripTik from CAA:

Name:	image-1543659858.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	35510
The TripTik identifies the rest areas on the route, it had lots along TCH.

Less than 3 weeks to go and I'm still to doing more research.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #46

It sure is nice to get away from it all.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I have been reading in the other forum in Facebook about the A-Frame wind kit and how much damage the wind could do to our rig. I don't have the kit, so I will always check the wind condition/weather every day using my hotspot device.

Does anybody know how much wind our rig could handle when it is up?
What wind speed is not safe to take down or put up the A-Fame?
I hadn't thought about wind damage. The maker of that kit has a rather breathless anecdote for why he made it. Essentially he was camping in a wind storm so strong he felt the need to abandon his camper, so he decided to fold it down first. Which strikes me as simply the wrong way to do things.

First, IMO the roof latches are unlikely fail because there is no place in the roof for the wind to catch. Nor does his site say the kit will help if the latches do fail. The latches are even less likely to just fly apart without some sign of impending failure. If there are warning signs, then it is time to simply abandon the camper. Maybe his wind kit would help hold the roof down but maybe not and the site gives no assurances.

Second, if the wind is gusting so strong when setting up or striking camp that you are afraid of damage, just wait a while. It is a rare enough condition and one that not happened to me in 8 years of A frame and pop up camping. I would do that anyway rather than rely on an emergency safety mechanism.

The only way I can even see the wind causing significant damage is if the camper rolls over from a side wind. His wind kit does not address that at all. If the wind really is that strong, you should abandon your camper right away and not worry about striking it.

In short, I will not be buying a wind kit that claims to help only while operating the roof under extreme conditions. But does not offer any solid evidence of the is claim. It just seems unnecessary to me.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #48

The wind kit works like a seat belt, it locks the strap when closing the A-Frame so that the wind can't open the frame back. This will be good if your solo closing your rig. I think the kit is over $200 and permanently installed both sides, it looks out of place with the frame. I'll check the weather report with my hotspot everyday and use common sense when to close or open my rig on windy condition. If I get caught stupid overnight, the strong wind will surely wake me up, I'll step out and go to a safe place. I wonder if my rig gets damage by the wind, will my insurance cover it? I heard in the news that the cars damaged by the flood is covered under comprehensive part of the insurance and my rig is included in my car insurance. I think we should be covered, No worries, just save your butt when hit my strong wind....
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #49

When you visit PEI

Just want to point out a few places in PEI that stand out from the normal Anne of Green Gables visit to Cavendish. My family spends the summers at Marco Polo Land Campground and have for years and love the place. But when you are touring PEI one location that stands out and was just voted number 1 in Canada for Best Beach is called Basin Head. You will have to travel to the Eastern end of PEI to Souris and then about 15 minutes further you will find Basin Head. Onsite food, Fisheries Museum, and of course beach, swimming, etc....Make sure you "Jump in the Run" ...the beach is known as the singing sands as it squeaks as you walk on it...but the jump in the water from a pedway that crosses it is really what we know if for...my kids love it. Lots of nice towns and villages along either coastal regions. If you like Lobster try New Glasgow Lobster suppers....another family favourite. Enjoy your travels and you happen to come to Marco Polo Land...drop by #39 and say hello.
Brian
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I wonder if my rig gets damage by the wind, will my insurance cover it? I heard in the news that the cars damaged by the flood is covered under comprehensive part of the insurance and my rig is included in my car insurance.
In most jurisdictions, you are covered for liability while driving by your auto liability insurance. That includes liability that involves your camper because it is attached to your car. Collision and comprehensive are only covered for listed property, so unless the camper is listed, it is not covered.

IMU, if the trailer hops the hitch and gets smashed or you are rear ended by an uninsured driver, your collision insurance will not cover it. If it is hit by a wind storm while at camp, your auto comprehensive does not cover it. In Texas, the contents are coverd from theft by the homeowners policy.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #51

If the camper is listed on your auto policy it only insured when hooked up to the TV. You should have a separate policy for the trailer.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtxguypei View Post
Just want to point out a few places in PEI that stand out from the normal Anne of Green Gables visit to Cavendish. My family spends the summers at Marco Polo Land Campground and have for years and love the place. But when you are touring PEI one location that stands out and was just voted number 1 in Canada for Best Beach is called Basin Head. You will have to travel to the Eastern end of PEI to Souris and then about 15 minutes further you will find Basin Head. Onsite food, Fisheries Museum, and of course beach, swimming, etc....Make sure you "Jump in the Run" ...the beach is known as the singing sands as it squeaks as you walk on it...but the jump in the water from a pedway that crosses it is really what we know if for...my kids love it. Lots of nice towns and villages along either coastal regions. If you like Lobster try New Glasgow Lobster suppers....another family favourite. Enjoy your travels and you happen to come to Marco Polo Land...drop by #39 and say hello.
Brian
Thanks for the PEI info. Do you think 3 nights camping there is enough to experience the highlights of PEI? I'm not planning to tour Ann of... stuff.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #53

Probably would say 4 to 5 would be better but really depends if you want to park the trailer and do day drives out from there to see things. If you parked in Cavendish or Cornwall KOA areas then the drive West to the tip would be about 2 hours....then to travel east from the home base would be 1.5 hours which would be straight driving. If you decide to camp in the Western area...Mill River Provincial Park is nice or West Point area is right on the beach....central area Marco Polo Land, and Eastern area Red Point Park and if you were leaving via the ferry in Wood Islands..there is a Provincial Campground 5 minutes from there which is on the water as well.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #54

I'll be camping in PEI National Park and taking day trips to explore the province. My plan is to travel up to 2 hrs one way from my campsite and tour a place for 10 hours and head back to my campsite at the end of the day. I will be very busy in this voyage everyday(14 hours tour) but I have an option to just relax the whole day around the campsite.

I think I will do 4 nights in PEI, so many options and things to do....16 more days before my trip!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #55

Just a note about your Wifi Hotspot with Rogers. As a former Rogers customer of many years, they do not have the greatest coverage here in the Maritimes unless you are near to larger populated areas. I switched to Telus for that reason that when my wife and I started camping again about 5 years ago that the difference in signal between my own Rogers phone and my Telus work phone was night and day. Also at my previous job they for some unknown reason switched from Telus to Rogers and all we heard was complaints from the out of town/fringe area techs that they could not use their phones. I have also done some camping on PEI and a few trips to to Cape Breton and found the coverage to be not very good there as well.

Also just wanted to add as someone else mentioned about driving long periods of time. I agree with what others say that some people are made to do it while others can't. I used to do 20 to 24 hour days on the road and although I don't do that type of work and travel anymore i can still hop in the truck and drive straight through to home in Sudbury, Ont. no problem.

As sights and such go in Nova Scotia, you should visit Peggy's Cove as well as the SwissAir memorial which is just a few minutes away. I have not gone to any of the National Parks here but always enjoyed the Provincial Parks here. Graves Island is a very nice one right on the coast as I Rissers. The Annapolis Valley area is nice and so is the Fundy Shore area. Going to Cape Breton, as mentioned, you want to park your rig somewhere and tour around from the with just your TV. The Cabot Trail is beautiful but can be very hard on a vehicles brakes and transmission towing a trailer. Also, watch out for moose if travelling at dusk or early evening in the highlands area.

Hope you enjoy your trip and your experience here, I think you will find the people here very friendly and helpful. I just finished a 2800 km bike ride to New Hampshire on Tuesday and was amazed at how many bikers and such we spoke to along the way some of which had just been in the area here and how they loved the area.

I am heading to my trailer this weekend this weekend on a seasonal site after being away from it for almost a month due to work and such and cannot wait to get there and unwind.
DG, DH
Tally the Greyhound and Itty the Chihuahua
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If the camper is listed on your auto policy it only insured when hooked up to the TV. You should have a separate policy for the trailer.
I called my insurance company and they have verified that my trailer is in a separate policy.

Auto insurance check
Trailer insurance check
Travel health insurance check
CAA membership check
Have a wonderful time camping insurance check
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'ray View Post
Just a note about your Wifi Hotspot with Rogers. As a former Rogers customer of many years, they do not have the greatest coverage here in the Maritimes unless you are near to larger populated areas.
Thanks for this info, looks like I made a good decision to order an iPhone 5 with 5 GB data plan today with Telus using our employee discount program. I may just keep my hotspot for a while for backup purpose, it only cost $5 a month. If one service fails hopefully the other works. I have been using the Internet to search the location I want to go and program the address to my GPS. I figure I will be doing a lot of this type of search during my travels.

I have an iPod 5 with lots of app installed that I could easily restore to the iPhone 5, the transition will be quick and easy. I plan to use the iPhone 5 camera/photo app to document my travels. The GPS information is imbedded in every picture I take with it and when I combine them with the pictures I take with my other cameras I will be able to reference where I took the pictures. The build in app of the iPod/iPhone 5 organizes the pictures nicely:

Name:	image-3577063260.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	35682
Overview of pictures taken in the map

Name:	image-1366292599.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	35683
Pictures taken in Tobermory

Name:	image-2037105180.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	35684
Picture is enlarged

Name:	image-2550749798.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	35685
Using the Map build in app, during my trip I will email my location to my friends and family to update them where I am, I may post some GPS numbers in this thread to share some interesting location during my travel.

I will use my iPod 5 for recording my drive:

Name:	image-1833713482.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	35687
Carcorder app for only 99 cents, I will use 720p quality. It records up to 3.5 hours of live video and sound (record my voice if I want to say something interesting) this forces me to take a break from driving so I could transfer the video to my computer to clear the space for the next video. Also if there are any interesting view I see while driving, I just press the screen to take a picture.

It looks like my gadgets will keep me busy and interesting during my trip.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #58
Mostly Harmless

Ko, look into either FIND FRIENDS or GLYMPSE, two apps that let friends follow your progress in (almost) real time, as long as they have the same app. Both are free.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #59

I think with all these gadgets, your trip will pass you by and you'll miss it. Just saying.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I think with all these gadgets, your trip will pass you by and you'll miss it. Just saying.
I know what you mean because when I go camping with friends I ended up not using most of the gadgets I bring but in this case going solo I maybe using them more to collect data for myself or to share with friends. Hey I'm using a gadget to update this thread also getting information to where I'm going, watching video, music, and so on...it will keep me busy for sure but I always have the option to not use some of them. Just a quick count of all the gadgets I have for my rig, car and personal, I have close to 2 dozen...LOL

I luv gadgets, checkout the gadgets I use on my bike and car:

Name:	image-1105487255.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	35732
Video camera, GPS watch, speed monitor, bell

Name:	image-3301848869.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	35733
Carcorder, trip monitor, GPS...all 3 devices are GPS enabled devices

BUT I could seat in front of a fire pit at a campsite or enjoy the outdoors or be with friends for hours not missing any of my gadgets...