Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #21

there now is 4 lane highway that cuts right through New Brunswick. Not the greatest scenery .. but its posted at 110 kph and you can breeze right through.
If your pulling from Toronto .. i would suggest going as far as Riviere du Loup. Then hightail it down the NB four laner .. the 2 making a stop just across the NB/Nova Scotia. There are some neat little provincial parks just over this border, with tidal bays and stuff.
On your way through Cape Breton, which should not be a route to tow, stop in a place called Meat Cove ... and take your lunch. This place has stunning views ... and basically only a campground pitched ontop of the ocean cliffs.
Home
If you are still in the planning stages ... I would also put a word in for Forrillion National Park ... we did the trip last year and really enjoyed the culture and the beauty of it all.
Campsites are beautifull with lots of privacy. There is a swimming pool located on the campground, as most people cant swim in the cold ocean at these levels.

have fun ... d-mo
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #22

This is getting interesting, maybe go to Forrillion National Park instead of Fredericton.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-993541627.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	34548

Ok I better stop procrastinating getting ready for my Tobermory camping trip today.

I think planning ahead is the best way to go....more feed back please and thanks

I'll Be Back....lol
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #23

You may find the distance between national PArks to be too great to travel in one day. You will have to stay at private CGs or provincial Parks. I am not familiar with camping in Quebec or the parks there. As I said earlier, the Provincial Parks in NS will be comparable with the National parks and offer similar experiences. In fact, IMO the provincial parks are nicer than Keji for example. but thats just my opinion.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #24

If you go to Forillon NP take Route 2 ... as Route 1 is a mayor haul with a trailer. Route two will get you there twice as fast .. with little harm to brakes or transmission.

As for places to go to in quebec ... well we often stay at Mont Ste Anne campground near quebec city .. if you decide to stay there. Some very good trout flyfishing streams .. and 3 major waterfall to visit with an hours drive .. not to mention the beauty of Old Quebec City. We do the Quebec city thing every 3 years or so for a 4 day visit, and restaurant downtown alot.

d-mo
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #25

If you are planning to camp along the Cabot Trail (Cape Breton) yous should make reservations well in advance. You might be better off using a private CG just outside the park as a home base while you tour CB. There are several side trails off the Cabot Trail that are vary interesting. While in CB you should make it a point to go to Glace Bay. The Men of the Deep practice during the summer. There is a small charge to go and see the show but it is worth it. I found that Reta's Teas house was a tourist trap and would not go there again. If you were to stay outside of the Cabot Trail Adventures East is a nice CG. It is several miles out side of Baddeck. The KOA is located on the other side of Kelly's Mountain (over looking the Seal Island Bridge). There is a Lobster Dinner at Baddeck. It includes one lobster, all the mussels, chowder and desserts you can eat. At Louisburg there is a CG that is located on the wharf overlooking the fortress. If you go to the Fundy NP i recommend going to Hope Well Rock. There is a CG just past the entrance to the park (Ponderosa Pines). The rocks should be seen at low and high tide. There is so much to see and do on the East Coast you will have a hard time trying to fit everything in. Have a great trip and now comes the hard part, where to go and how long to stay.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
MI Camperz

Tres Bien! Il ressemble à un merveilleux voyage! Soyez heureux et en sécurité!
Time to get the French on....N'est-ce pas?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #27

ok .. there .. so lets get an update on this trip ... we have invested alot of time here ... plans/details/sightstobeseen????
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Tres Bien! Il ressemble à un merveilleux voyage! Soyez heureux et en sécurité!
Time to get the French on....N'est-ce pas?
Lol...I used my translator app:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-614772636.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	34955

BTW....thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
ok .. there .. so lets get an update on this trip ... we have invested alot of time here ... plans/details/sightstobeseen????
Update:
Three more weeks before my trip. I just got the travel guide for New Brunswick, I'll review what interesting spots and activities they have.
There is only 1 site left with electric service in La Mauricie National Park but lots of the others, I don't mind dry camping. I have to commit soon and start booking sites.

I went camping last weekend in Bruce Peninsula National Park of Canada, 4 hours away, my TV and TT perform awesome, they are ready for the trip but I found a major problem is me the driver is not ready. I guess being a city guy traveling less than 10,000 km a year. I need major tips from you guys on how to drive more than 10 hours on the same day. In my trip, I am planning to do 3 hours driving then take a 30 mins break and so on. The way I felt after I drove 3 hours straight from my last trip, if I have to do another turn will be a struggle, just imagine I have to do this more than 3 times, plus going solo makes it even difficult.

What do you do to increase your driving endurance?
What snack do have during the trip? Keep you sharp not sleepy
What do you do to make the long driving interesting when going solo?

This trip will be over 5000 km, I will take this as a challenge to make it safely and I am hoping I'll get some tips to make my driving enjoyable and not a struggle.

Driving tips please...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #30

Not to be off topic, but how was Bruce? We toured the southern coast of Ontario on a trip from Kentucky to Niagara falls and Bruce was one place that we thought about going back for as a special trip.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #31

When traveling across Canada (Ontario to BC) we aim for 500k (300 miles) per day. I would never attempt a 10 hr day. If you do want to drive 10 hr/day. I recommend a break every 2 hours. While in Quebec there are rest areas about every 30 to 50 miles. Stop at a rest area and walk around stay hydrated and have a great time.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #32

Yea .. im kind of a 6hr a day driver. Maybe 7 hrs. if i stretch it ... but no more than that. If we drive 7 hrs, we will spend the next full day off the road, and enjoy the sights and sounds of our new surroundings. Pack everything in the trailer and truck the night before, get a good nights sleep and head out nice and early, beating the metro traffic.
When touching down for the nights stay .. leave your vehicle hooked up to the TV, remove the pigtail, level side to side, then level the front of the trailer, to take some of the weight of the rear of the TV. With everything still hooked to the truck, there will be no need for stabilizers (at least that's what I do).
Once morning comes ... drop the trailer, and you are ready to go ... out in about 10 minutes ... after your morning coffee of course.

hope this helps .. d-mo
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #33

What you describe there d-mo, is one of the best reasons to own an A frame.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #34

Last year this time, I drove from BC to NS in 5 1/2 days towing a 30 ft TT. I only had one blow out. I averaged over 1000 kms per day. That was my limit. I was in a time crunch and it had to be done. Would I do it again? Sure, why not. Would I drive the Northern Ontario route again. When he!! freezes over. When I reached Quebec, I felt I was home. Not because of all the French road signs, but because it was so close to home, relatively speaking. Sorry, I wasn't able to offer any tips. i don't drink coffee, red bull or any other stimulates. I keep hydrated with water and enjoy the scenery.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #35

I have my A128S back cushions moved to the front bed during travel, 2 layer bed. On my way home a 1500 km trip, when I find a rest area, I just raise my A-Frame, unplug the 7-pin cable and take a nap. In less then 2 minutes I could be ready to go. Do you know if I nap for over an hour, will the TV battery survive the fridge battery consumption? I may not have to unplug anything.

I like the idea of drinking Red Bull, I never had one but I will try it and see how I react to it. I may take one before 3 hours from the last stop.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Not to be off topic, but how was Bruce? We toured the southern coast of Ontario on a trip from Kentucky to Niagara falls and Bruce was one place that we thought about going back for as a special trip.
My group have been going to the Bruce area once a year for over 20 years and camping in here http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/bruce/a...2/activ2a.aspx. Hopefully we will keep visiting this place for the next 20 years or more, so definitely come visit this place, you will love it there....

My plan is to camp at 6 National Parks on my East Coast adventure.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
What do you do to increase your driving endurance?
What snack do have during the trip? Keep you sharp not sleepy
What do you do to make the long driving interesting when going solo?

This trip will be over 5000 km, I will take this as a challenge to make it safely and I am hoping I'll get some tips to make my driving enjoyable and not a struggle.

Driving tips please...
I love to drive, and pretty much all my trips are solo, long-haul excursions.
Unfortunately, my belief is that either you are that way or you are not. What is sheer bliss to me is torture for a lot of people I know.

I'm not sure there is any way you can condition yourself for long stretches behind the wheel -especially in the short time you have remaining.
How do you 'get in shape' to sit motionless for 10 hours?

Up until 2008, I spent 10 years commuting to work (solo) 110km each way.
Sometimes, after a 12 hour graveyard shift, it could be a bit difficult to stay awake on the drive home.
A snack of some sort helps. I used to be sure to have a handful of those small pepperoni sticks on hand (I used to buy them in big packages at the IGA). Mind you, I'm a dedicated carnivore and far less dedicated to healthy eating than I should be. Carrot sticks or some such thing might do the job (especially with lots of dip! )

It's strange, but when I quit smoking, I found it very difficult to stay awake on the drive home. I do not, however, advocate taking up smoking.

Music works for some people -others it lulls to sleep. Beware. Oddly enough, on that marathon 13,000 km trip I did last summer, other than doing the 'Ride of the Valkries' thing on my way out of town, the only time I had the stereo on was for an hour on the Dempster Highway (a movie soundtrack that sort of fit the country). Otherwise, the entire trip was driven in silence and I was just fine with that. Maybe I'm very comfortable with myself. Or, maybe I'm just weird. That fits, too.

I used to listen to talk radio all the time when I had satellite radio because I'm a bit of a news and political junkie. But when the satellite connection packed it in, I found I didn't miss it at all so I never bothered getting it hooked back up.

You may want to consider grabbing a few of those karaoke CD's. I've got a couple I used to use. I have an atrocious singing voice and invariably wind up laughing at myself. It's hard to fall asleep when you're laughing.

I never found getting out and going for a short walk to be much use when you're sleepy. It will keep you from driving into the ditch right there, but you'll right back in the same boat 10 miles down the road. If you're falling asleep -pack it in for a while. There's too much chance for real tragedy there.

My advice to you would be to not try to go long-haul like that. If you're not used to it or you don't like it, then it'll just be an ordeal -and you're supposed to be going out there to enjoy yourself.
Either shorten your range, lengthen your time or find a co-driver you can put up with.

Whatever you do, I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #38

I enjoy driving too. The best way to get in shape for sedentary activity is, like pretty much any other thing, to exercise. Just walk as much as you can before and during your travels. Walking helps moderate your blood sugar reducing those "hungry because I am bored" feelings and minimizing the afternoon sleepiness.

I listen to music some when driving, mostly singable rock oldies that are the cause of my poor hearing. Singing keeps me awake. I love late 20th century serious music and opera, but it just doesn't keep me going on the road. I mean who can sing to Philip Glass? I also listen to audio books and lecturers. As a history buff, there are alot for me to chose from.

My main problem is getting dehydrated. It exacerbates the hunger and sleepiness I feel. I have to make a special effort to drink enough water in the evening. But not so much that frequent stops are needed the next morning.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #39

I just reserved my first day campsite for 3 nights in La Mauricie National Park. I'm all in for the voyage and I still have so much researching to do.

I'm going to a cottage this weekend and I will try some of the tips I got so far about long driving.

The site I reserved is more than 2.5 hours drive to Quebec City or Montreal. Hopefully there are good spots to tour close to the site.

Happy Camping!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #40

When we went out east in '09 we didn't make any reservations and travelled for 2 weeks. We grabbed a campsite at the start of the Cabot trail, left the trailer and drove around counterclockwise. It was something to see, except for the rain and fog ruining our view 3/4 of the way through.

You have to see hopewell rocks, near fundy. BTW, you could stay overnight at some Quebec rest stops when we went in '09

Have fun, the first time you go is when you make your list of must see's when you return!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote