Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Can't Wait & NEED TIPS!!!!

Hello Everyone!
We are picking up our 2016 Rockwood A122 this weekend. I can't wait. I feel really good about it. Spent many days in and out of them by process of elimination, settled on A122. Almost switched to the 1970ESP Tent Camper....that one looked Saweeeet! In the end we decided to stick with our first choice. The set up is so easy, and we won't have to worry so much about drying it out. Lots of rain in the Pacific North West. It will also fit in our garage. We have not done a lot of camping, but when we did, it was with a tent and I was tired of all the packing up. I wanted something READY to go, with everything we need.

SO ANY TIPS: on walk through what to look for or ask?

Also I read FR used to send out warranty forms for a 2nd year warranty, does anyone know if they still do that? -the articles were a bit old.

IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
Your dealer should offer the FR extended warranty, but many do not. I would make sure to ask. Otherwise you can contact FR for the warranty form. Needs to be done within a month or so of purchase.

I would make sure that your dealer takes you through the use of all appliances and the digital climate control. Make sure that you know how to set the fan to auto, hi or lo. When not set on auto, the Cool Cat fan will come on with your furnace.

Also make sure that you know how to bypass the water heater for winterizing, and how to access the low point drains which are under one of the front benches.

Make sure that you understand how to use the 3 way refrigerator. The controls are accessed from the outside.

The dealer will sometimes put extra decals on the trailer. If you want, they are easy to take off if you do it right away.

2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Go to this page in the forum library and download the PDI check list. It is nominally for hybrids but most of the information will apply to all campers.

One thing that recent A Frame purchasers have noted. Make sure the radio plays both the left and right stereo channels play on the inside speakers and you hear both sides in mono on the outside. The outside speaker should be mutable without affecting the inside sound.

Test the stereo by bringing a patch cable to connect it to a phone or iPod. To test the speakers, it is not that difficult to use software to make a simple track that switches between left and right channels sequentially. But it may be more trouble than its worth if you have a MP3 of a song with noticeable stereo separation, like a guitar lead primarily on one side. Or just play Bohemian Rhapsody until the PDI teck screams and runs away.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Team
Congrats on you new TT. Take your time during the PDI. Do not sign any paperwork until you are happy with the unit and everything is to your liking. If something is found to be broken or not working during PDI, insist it is fixed before signing. This is a very busy time for dealers and once you sign, you will lose your leverage for a speedy repair. Many dealers will say " use it for a while and keep a list of things that need repaired and bring it back". You may have to wait weeks or months. If you are unsure about a procedure ( ie winterizing) video the instructions. As mentioned above ask about the FR one year extended warranty, beware of 3rd party extended warranties as some have many loopholes. Insist the dealer provides you with a copy of the build sheet. It has make,model and serial # of all appliances installed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Don't buy ANY dealership extended warranties. Make sure you go through and register each thing on your TT's appliance list (the list that has all the Serial numbers and model numbers on it. You will be able to extend the warranty on the camper through Forest River for a year for $200. You will also have the opportunity to extend the warranty on your furnace for $30 for 2 years and the warranty on the AC for 3 years for $109. The only appliance I was disappointed in not being able to extend the warranty was the refrigerator.
2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH following a 2014 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
Winter :'(
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
Here is a link to another PDI checklist if you google PDI check list you will find many examples to follow. Good Luck with your new unit and many happy camping memories.
Chuck & Sandra
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Great advice about the walk-through. Ours was way too fast and we should have taken pictures, notes, and the video is a great idea! Now we are really confused and struggling with how everything operates....the Owners' Manual is really sketchy and it doesn't have any diagrams of the placement of various switches. The paperwork about each appliance is for installation/repair, and very limited on regular use. We will probably use a Sharpie to mark switches once we figure them out!
mollypcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Here's the warranty form. It's fairly old (2010). I know it's had a few minor changes since. Maybe take a copy with you and if the dealer doesn't give you one, pull it out and ask for a new one.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Wish I had that PDI checklist when I got mine, didn't find this site until I got it home.
Stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Far 2nd Year Warrenty

I bought my new travel trailer last month and the dealer gave me the paper for the 2nd year warranty to mail to FR within 10 days of purchase for $150.00. I sent that in right away and received my 2nd year warranty.

zzzroc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote