Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Caprock Canyon State Park

The wife and I and our two large dogs spent a wonderful week at Caprock Canyon State Park near Quitique Tx. It is a beautiful place and we had only a handful of other campers in the whole place. The bison are everywhere and the other wildlife is too. Deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, rabbits, wild hogs, all kinds of birds, road runners and quail to mention two. It was quit cold and we had some heavyish rain but stayed dry and warm except for some condensation on the skylights. Everything worked right and made the trip a great success. Anyone who is thinking about this Park should go it's a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Rockwood A212HW
2000 Ford F-250 7.3lt 2WD
Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #2

I bet being inside the camper muffled the sound enough to make those coyotes bearable when they cranked up in the middle of the night.

I camped there one night years ago on the way to Colorado. We got there just in time to watch the sunset at the canyon. I'm going to either Caprock or Palo Duro in a few months on a trip someone else is planning.

And yes, winter is best unless you like night hiking.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Good to hear we will be doing it in March. We did Palo Duro last year and it was great will also be doing it again in March. We have been impress with all the Texas State parks we have been to.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

I agree, Texas has some beautiful scenery. If possible, spend some time around Marfa and the Big Bend area. Breathtaking!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
The wife and I and our two large dogs spent a wonderful week at Caprock Canyon State Park near Quitique Tx. It is a beautiful place and we had only a handful of other campers in the whole place. The bison are everywhere and the other wildlife is too. Deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, rabbits, wild hogs, all kinds of birds, road runners and quail to mention two. It was quit cold and we had some heavyish rain but stayed dry and warm except for some condensation on the skylights. Everything worked right and made the trip a great success. Anyone who is thinking about this Park should go it's a winner.

2016 Rockwood A212HW
One of Texas great state parks. I spent some time there several years ago and plan to go back. Here is a my webpage with pictures of the park.
Caprock Canyon State Park

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Oh I would love to hear coyotes again. I wholeheartedly agree about Texas State Parks. I am not being biased since I live in Texas, but it has given me a chance to visit quite a few of them. I think on our next visit to the big Bend area and we are set up with solar I think I would like to stay at Big Bend State Park.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

We stayed two nights in Caprock and three in Palo Duro in late August. Fortunately a cold front had blown in before we got there and it was quite nice. We saw the last performance of the season of "Texas" - never gets old!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

We've got it great for parks haven't we! I lived in that area years ago and loved it, get back when I can. Saw the play last year.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

One of our favorite parks so beautiful and quiet

RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #10

I grew up about 40 miles from there. That whole area around Turkey and Quitaque was always a favorite place to visit. Lots of wildlife, local mom and pop restaurants, friendly folks all contributed to a good time. In my opinion, it's second only to Palo Duro canyon for beauty in the Texas panhandle. Silverton is also a nice little town close by.

If you have the time, drive north out of Turkey to Clarendon on highway 70. Around Antelope Flats and just north of Brice are some of the most beautiful panoramic views I've seen in all of Texas - just breathtaking!

And... just west of the intersection of 287 and 70 in Clarendon is Grumpy's pizza, which offers the best pizza I've ever encountered anywhere. Service is sooooo slowwwww, but it is so worth the wait!
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

When we went, 11/28-12/4, there were a max of 3 other sites occupied. The first two days were beautiful if a little chilly. We got rain, hard, one evening and it was almost cold enough for it to turn to snow which I could have sworn it did for a few minutes. May have been wishful thinking of a Texas Canadian. It was cloudy and light rain on and off on Saturday but it didn't keep us in the camper. We just didn't get out in the canyons but stayed up on the tops and were satisfied looking down into them. Still a very beautiful place. I think we went at the best time of year. No bugs to speak of and almost nobody else in the park. The animals were all showing their best sides. Deer, bison, road runners, quail, coyotes, one very large hog, and one large feral cat. Although we didn't actually see them the raccoons made their presence known by stealing a full loaf of bread, 4 hotdog buns, and somewhat ironically, all the dog treats. All this was my fault for leaving it out on the table but you'd think one of the two dogs would have heard or sensed something going on two feet away even if it was on the other side of the door. So much for their role as vicious watch dogs. All in all it was a wonderful break from work and the quiet was almost deafening.

2016 Rockwood A212HW
Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

My upcoming trip is to Palo Duro Canyon. In February. It's going to be . I think I'll winterize the camper before I go and take my heavy coat.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #13

It can be cold then, but the winterscape can be very beautiful too.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Oh I would love to hear coyotes again. I wholeheartedly agree about Texas State Parks. I am not being biased since I live in Texas, but it has given me a chance to visit quite a few of them. I think on our next visit to the big Bend area and we are set up with solar I think I would like to stay at Big Bend State Park.
Oh my oh my oh my.

These awful scavengers that pack up and kill deer and other wildlife are vermin. I wish I could eliminate them.

But if you want to hear them for some odd reason (they give me the willies), come follow me around. I hear them almost every day of my life, usually right at dusk as they 'pack up' for the nightly kill run.

But that does sound like a nice state park.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It can be cold then, but the winterscape can be very beautiful too.
I'm looking forward to some special weather. That why I have the camper.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #16

It's a great park but you may not want to go this weekend. Forecast is for a low around 4 and wind chill values as low as -13.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
It's a great park but you may not want to go this weekend. Forecast is for a low around 4 and wind chill values as low as -13.
You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Ya, and I'm staying along the Gulf Coast this weekend where it's a relatively comfortable 35 with a "Feels Like" of only 23. As opposed to the balmy hike yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #18
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Ya, and I'm staying along the Gulf Coast this weekend where it's a relatively comfortable 35 with a "Feels Like" of only 23. As opposed to the balmy hike yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt.
Texas weather. It was +1 in Amarillo this morning. Record setting 80's yesterday in the Houston Area, Today started at 32F.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote