Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Cargo basket

Has anyone looked into whether the frame on a A214HW is strong enough to have a hitch welded to it to insert a cargo basket for carrying a small generator? I don't want to add any more tongue weight and don't really want to carry the generator in the vehicle. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
jane123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

There are people carrying motorcycles on hitches and carriers welded to the frame. A generator should be no problem.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Thank you!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Most trailers require some sort of reinforcement when adding a hitch. Keep in mind that any weight put back (cargo basket, generator etc) there takes away from tongue weight which can lead to sway.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most trailers require some sort of reinforcement when adding a hitch. Keep in mind that any weight put back (cargo basket, generator etc) there takes away from tongue weight which can lead to sway.
That's my concern. How much weight would the trailer handle without upsetting the towing. If 50 pounds wouldn't upset the balance that would be awesome. Right now it tows perfect. No sway.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #6

Looking at the rig is there not room to put the generator in a bin and store (for travel) just inside the door. I can't answer the weight transfer and handling I do know normally the tongue weight should be around 10 - 12% of trailer weight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane123 View Post
That's my concern. How much weight would the trailer handle without upsetting the towing. If 50 pounds wouldn't upset the balance that would be awesome. Right now it tows perfect. No sway.

Think about it - the weight limit of the stock bumper is about 50#. A small tray welded to the bumper won’t change the physics much.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Looking at the rig is there not room to put the generator in a bin and store (for travel) just inside the door. I can't answer the weight transfer and handling I do know normally the tongue weight should be around 10 - 12% of trailer weight.
Just didn't want it.inside the camper when it gets collapsed and locked up. No air circulation worries me. Looking at alternative methods for travel. If I add a spot for it over the hitch I may end up having to use an equalizer hitch and I don't want to go that route again. Guess I'll just have to try it and see.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Just didn't want it.inside the camper when it gets collapsed and locked up. No air circulation worries me. Looking at alternative methods for travel. If I add a spot for it over the hitch I may end up having to use an equalizer hitch and I don't want to go that route again. Guess I'll just have to try it and see.
Thanks again for your input. I have a feeling it might work out fine.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks again for your input. I have a feeling it might work out fine.
Be careful what you do, most of these replies are from people with full size campers not aframes so they think its fine. The aframe has pretty small frame rails and may not handle the load. Best bet is locate a welding or hitch shop and see what they think.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

My A-Frame doesn't have a bumper. The frame isn't that stiff if you ask me. The metal in the frame is so thin they added stiffeners in front and back of the wheelwells. Adding stiffeners to the frame to attach a box might help. Ask about using aluminum as the box or gray you install. Good Luck!
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
My A-Frame doesn't have a bumper. The frame isn't that stiff if you ask me. The metal in the frame is so thin they added stiffeners in front and back of the wheelwells. Adding stiffeners to the frame to attach a box might help. Ask about using aluminum as the box or gray you install. Good Luck!

Any decent shop can weld a rack to the frame that will hold 50# on even the smallest A-frame.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

I will do that. Was hoping someone had tried this already and could give me their input
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I will do that. Was hoping someone had tried this already and could give me their input

There are a few here who have. One has nice pictures. Search for the motorcycle rack.

Tags
cargo