Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Catalytic propane heater?

How about adding a small catalytic propane heater to my A128S to use instead of the inefficient, battery draining, and noisy stock heater? Camco makes a small unit which is adjustable from low (1500 BTU) to high (3000 BTU). Very easy to install with access to grill quick connect hose from inside the trailer.

Pros: Quiet and almost 100% efficient on burning propane.
Cons: no thermostat and need to "crack open" some ventilation to replace oxygen used in confined space.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

I've wondered if the small Wave 3 would be sufficient for an AFrame. It seems it should be but I haven't read any specifics from users. It's too late in the year for me to even worry about it, except that I have a dry camping trip to the mountains scheduled for Memorial Day weekend.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #3

I think the Wave 3 is about the right size for temps above freezing (30's -50's F). One watt is equal to 3.412 BTUs, so my small electric heater (1500w) outputs about
5000 BTU on high. On low, it put out about 750w (2500 BTU) and has been more than enough under those conditions given the relatively good insulation in my trailer. The electric heater has a thermostat and fan which is convenient, whereas the propane heater would be constant on and radiant heat only.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I've wondered if the small Wave 3 would be sufficient for an AFrame. It seems it should be but I haven't read any specifics from users. It's too late in the year for me to even worry about it, except that I have a dry camping trip to the mountains scheduled for Memorial Day weekend.
I thought this would be a good option, but further research makes me question it.

IMHO, you need to have a working CO detector in the A-frame to use a catalytic heater since it is venting inside (unlike your heater). The combined propane/CO detectors Forest River installs will probably not work after 5 years (for CO). I don't know if they will give a warning when the CO detector element is not working. The latest and greatest battery-powered models for home use at Home Depot and Walmart have 10 year batteries - and are throw-aways after that.

You will probably want to keep the vent cracked open, and a window or door to provide oxygen in and CO out.

The heat output of the catalytic units are significantly less than the camper heater. And it needs floor space where it won't get hit by feet in the night.

Given all the above, and the cost, I found adding a second battery and using the camper heater a significantly cheaper alternative for a long weekend in our A122. So far, the second battery has worked out, but there has only been one long weekend where we needed the heater and were dry camping.

Our solution is not for everyone. The heater fan is not quiet (nor is the air conditioner) but it does the job.

just our thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage (with WDH)
2014 A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Given all the above, and the cost, I found adding a second battery and using the camper heater a significantly cheaper alternative for a long weekend in our A122. So far, the second battery has worked out, but there has only been one long weekend where we needed the heater and were dry camping.
I have a Rockwood Premier 2516G popup trailer, and this is what I did. Adding a second battery got me enough battery capacity to run the furnace to my heart's content four nights in a row. If I go beyond four nights, I have to be a little more conservative, or need to have a means of recharging.

My furnace consumes 2.7A. Let's call that 3A. If it runs 1/3rd of the time, that's 1A per hour of use. So over the course of a ten hour night it will consume 10A. If I had only a single Group 24 battery, and no other loads, it would last four nights. But furnace consumption is probably only about half of my total electrical use (lights, water pump, cell chargers, all add up). So with a single battery, two nights was a reasonable expectation. With dual batteries, four nights is pretty easy to accomplish.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We use a Big Buddy heater. On low, it runs for ~10 hours, it is quiet even with the built in fan, and it keeps our camper warm, even with 2 windows cracked. The box on our camper is about 24' x 8'. The Big Buddy should keep an A-frame camper toasty even on really cold nites.

As others indicated, you need to crack some windows, and have a working CO detector. We crack a window at the unit, and another in our bedroom area.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I think the Wave 3 is about the right size for temps above freezing (30's -50's F). One watt is equal to 3.412 BTUs, so my small electric heater (1500w) outputs about
5000 BTU on high. On low, it put out about 750w (2500 BTU) and has been more than enough under those conditions given the relatively good insulation in my trailer. The electric heater has a thermostat and fan which is convenient, whereas the propane heater would be constant on and radiant heat only.
Thanks for getting the equivalent heating values. That makes a great deal of sense. And still looks like the best way for me to go.

I suppose I can rely on warm sleeping bags and burning the furnace in the mornings and evenings for my spring trip too. My primary concern with adding another battery is that my tongue weight is already 420# with one group 24. Putting two group 27's on there will really weigh down my truck. Particularly at times there are two kayaks on the bed cover and the back full of other gear.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 02-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #8

All good points...my main reason for considering a catalytic is because I dislike the loud fan in the built in heater, which is not a problem when awake but is like an alarm clock when asleep, as it cycles on and off. I already have two 6 volt deep cycle batteries, so energy use is not as crucial for short trips. I guess it is always good to have a backup if one or the other stops working!

I tried the Big Buddy, but even on the lowest setting it overheats the small Aframe trailer since there is no thermostat.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I tried the Big Buddy, but even on the lowest setting it overheats the small Aframe trailer since there is no thermostat.
Open the windows further.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Open the windows further.
They also sell the buddy, it only has one ceramic and no fan. I bought mine for the camper, but used it ice fishing in the meantime, and was quite impressed. I agree with the OP, it's the noise of the furnace that bothers me. I have three deep cycle batteries on mine. Honda should come out with a propane fuel cell.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

I think one needs to vent it properly. Those can get tricky if they vent into the RV. Is one going to keep a window open? How would that effect the heat/temp in the RV?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Triumph View Post
Honda should come out with a propane fuel cell.
It's not a Honda, but her ya go.

ROAMIO Defender Series | Ultra Electronics AMI | Fuel Cell Manufacturer

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Triumph View Post
They also sell the buddy, it only has one ceramic and no fan.
The Buddy Heater and the Big Buddy Heater both put out 4000 BTU on low. The problem with the Buddy Heater, is that it only uses 1 propane bottle, which will last about 5 hours on low, while the Big Buddy Heater uses 2 propane bottles and will last about 10 hours on low. I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night, go outside, change propane bottles, come back in and relight the heater.....which I did using my daughter's borrowed Buddy Heater before we got the Big Buddy. It is nice to start the Big Buddy at bedtime, and that puppy still be glowing when I get up in the morning.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The Buddy Heater and the Big Buddy Heater both put out 4000 BTU on low. The problem with the Buddy Heater, is that it only uses 1 propane bottle, which will last about 5 hours on low, while the Big Buddy Heater uses 2 propane bottles and will last about 10 hours on low. I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night, go outside, change propane bottles, come back in and relight the heater.....which I did using my daughter's borrowed Buddy Heater before we got the Big Buddy. It is nice to start the Big Buddy at bedtime, and that puppy still be glowing when I get up in the morning.
The Buddy Heaters can also be adapted to run from the quick connect propane hose in the trailer, or you can connect it to a larger 20 or 30 lb tank. The issue for me is that even on low (4000 BTU) the Buddys are a bit too much for a small trailer, given the lack of a thermostat control.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Very nice! Military grade, I'll bet the cost would make my Honda EU2000 look like a fantastic deal.

Brunton make a small one, but the reviews are not good.

Tags
cat, heater, propane