Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
OK...your goal is to charge as fast as possible off the Genny
Step one is finding out how many amps your built in converter puts out...with two batts your looking at 30 to 40 amps from the charger as ideal. If you have with the direct hook up to the the trailer power plug.
If not... Get a smart charger of the same amps and plug it in the the Honda and to your battery terminals...if you are gonna do a lot of similar camping...simply replace the present converter with something like the Iota dls40 with smart IQ. Reasonably priced and a lot easier to deal with.
Enjoy the trip!

2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
I have tried different methods. Last year while camping at Sequoria National Park the TT trike charger could not keep up. I was running the genny all day.
Came home and installed large inverter with a 100 amp charger. I have three 12v Trojans battery bank. Now we can run everything except A/C. THE INVERTER takes one hour for full charge if batteries were at 80% SOC. (state of charge)

lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Use a Honda 2000 and plug in your power cord,no need to take extra charger! Youroo!!
X 3 Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #14
Use a Honda 2000 and plug in your power cord,no need to take extra charger! Youroo!!
Totally agree. Can't go wrong with the Honda 2000. You can even brew your coffee and watch TV while the batteries are charging up !! LOL
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
I agree. When we boondock, I turn off all AC breakers except the converter supply. That way the fridge doesn't switch over to AC from propane and the water heater is also out of the picture when the genny is running.
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Originally Posted by labarn View Post
If you are responding to me that did not work. the 2000 shut down from an overload condition. If not you are correct and what I wanted to do .

fact is carrying a good battery charger is a great idea.

Nope, I wasn't. Here how this works. Youroo posted, I agreed with his post, thus the "X2." I then added comment to have the OP study his equipment, (i.e. converter) and learn by doing a search on said equipment. Ebee badabee, that's all folks.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #17
thinking running either a 1000 or 2000 right to the 30 amp converter/charger .... no plugging in the truck with the pigtail at the same time .. you will fry some very expensive truck components ... which will be found out during examination, as ... "the black box tells all" in newer vehicles ..

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
As my story went our power protector would not allow the low power the 1000 and 2000 Honda could make. I know many use the 2000 to power their fifths.

labarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the charger specs on the built in charger that comes into play when I plug my shore power cable to an electric plug. There are three levels of charging that are automatically selected depending on the current state of battery charge and loads being placed on the batteries.

It did not state the amps, but rather the voltage. If the batteries go down to half charge, it charges with 14.4 volts. If they are carved and there is a load it uses a lower voltage. If there is no load and the batts are charged, it goes into float mode to just keep them charged.

I think I am going to buy the Honda 2000 and just plug the shore power into the generator for recharging and see how it goes. I can always buy a battery charger if needed and an hour of gasoline for that generator is pretty cheap.

As an aside, my research on these forums has given me conflicting data on whether or not the Honda 2000 might be able to run the 13.5 AC unit in my little a-frame. I think I will give that a try and report back. I will be camped at around 4000 feet elevation in southern Montana. If it overloads, as some report, is there much risk to the AC unit in trying this? Would a breaker just trip somewhere?
Tony w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
I'm new to dry camping but recently went through the same research and decision process. I settled on a Honda 2000. The local dealer had only the companion model which I got at the same price as the standard version. With it I can plug my 30A cord directly into it. Yes, I know I don't get 30A that way.

I don't carry a separate charger. On the advice of others here I just turn off all AC circuit breakers except the converter and let that charge the batteries. That charges my pair of group 27 deep cycle batteries just fine. My trip to Cades Cove went off without a hitch.

When not charging my batteries the 2000 is capable of running my 13.5K BTU A/C. I can run the microwave, too, but not at the same time, of course. That said, I don't bother. I can live without the microwave and if A/C is a necessity, I'll find a campsite with shore power.

I hope this information is useful.

Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited 4x2
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

charging, generator, battery