Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

City Water / Fresh Water Tank

I have a 2013 Rockwood A127TH. Today, I came out to a park and hooked up the water line. About an hour later I noticed that water was flowing out from the fresh water tank inlet (located outside of the camper on the left side). I know for certain my fresh water tank was empty before arriving, but it's now full. Once I turned off the park's water line (eliminating that water pressure to the camper), the water is no longer flowing from the fresh water tank inlet, but the fresh water tank is still full. What is going on? I'm not losing water at any other point. Could this be an issue with the fresh water pump allowing water to pass from the city water line thru the pump into the fresh water tank?
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Leave the city water off.

Turn on the water pump and run a few gallons out of the tank.

Turn off the pump and turn city water back on.

Does it still come out the overflow tube?

Stuck valve in the pump!?
Old 12-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What Ford Idaho said. Shut off city water and cycle the water pump a few times.
Sometimes the check valve gets stuck open by debris and cycling the pump often removes it.

One other thing... certain models have a built in way of filling the fresh water tank using the city water connection. There is a valve you turn to make that happen. Not sure about your rig but thought I'd suggest in case you might have forgotten about it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

Thanks Ford Idaho and and 5picker. I'll try your recommendation tomorrow. I believe the fresh water tank can only be filled using the inlet.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Magee
Any possibility the valve to filter, if you have one, is set to bypass. That causes overflow from the freshwater fill in my Cardinal.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Thanks Ford Idaho and 5picker. I ran about 10 gallons through the pump and it fixed the problem. Thank you very much. I'm thinking of installing a check valve. Do I install it on the inflow side of the pump or the outflow side of the pump. Thanks Magee for your input.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
Thanks Ford Idaho and 5picker. I ran about 10 gallons through the pump and it fixed the problem. Thank you very much. I'm thinking of installing a check valve. Do I install it on the inflow side of the pump or the outflow side of the pump. Thanks Magee for your input.
If you are going to install a check valve place it on the Output side of your pump! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

Thanks youroo
Old 12-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
You are welcome and real glad you got it working correctly.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #10

The problem returned this afternoon. Installed the check valve and that didn't work. Maybe the check valve was faulty but it was brand new. I seldom use the freshwater tank and pump. I'll probably bypass the pump and have the replace the pump at a later time.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #11

Does the city water flow through the pump? I'm trying to understand the flow of the city water in regard to the pump.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Does the city water flow through the pump? I'm trying to understand the flow of the city water in regard to the pump.
No,city water backfeeds to it,Not threw it! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The problem returned this afternoon. Installed the check valve and that didn't work. Maybe the check valve was faulty but it was brand new. I seldom use the freshwater tank and pump. I'll probably bypass the pump and have the replace the pump at a later time.
Not to question your ability but just double check that you installed the check valve with the proper flow direction. The arrow should point away from the pump outlet and towards your city water supply. I would think a new one should work but it certainly is possible it is bad.

If, as you mentioned, you don't use the pump/fresh water side of the system, remove your newly installed check valve and temporarily replace it with a shut-off type ball valve. Close the valve and I bet city water won't back flow through that!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Here's a schematic that might help.
Keep in mind about the check valves (they refer to them as one way valves) that are shown on either side of the pump in the schematic... the one shown between the pump and fresh water tank is typically built into the pump. (meaning you can't see it without disassembling the pump) It keeps city water from back flowing through the pump and into your freash water tank.

The check valve shown between the pump and the city water connection is built into the city water connection itself. It keeps water from back flowing out of an unconnected city water connection when using the pump.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #15

5picker, your explanation and schematic has given me a much better understanding of the water flow. Thank you very much. I appreciate the time taken to give the detailed explanation.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #16

BTW, I just now looked at the valve and noticed the arrow you mentioned. I had not noticed it before and I installed it incorrectly. I had followed the information given to me at the dealer. The arrow
was never mentioned.
Given the current position of the pump I cannot install the check valve correctly. I would have to reposition the pump, but it is in such a tight space I may not be able to. Thanks again for your help
Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad to help dmtx.

I'm not sure what style auxiliary check valve you purchased and/or if you are trying to install it directly to the pump. Keep in mind, if it happens to be an inline style check valve, (inline meaning one end of the valve does not screw directly into the pump fitting) you don't have to install it right next to the pump.
While most folks do try to keep them near the pump, (as that's where the built in valve is) you can put it in the line anywhere between the pump and up to the point where the city water tee's into the plumbing. Sometimes though, that section of plumbing is very short and not acceptable for modification.

EDIT:
One other thing... I'm suspecting you installed the check valve you purchased on the inlet (fresh water tank) side of your pump?

If you did, and in the interim to keep the fresh water tank from filling with the city water, simply install the check valve with the arrow pointing towards the pump inlet. Again, this all assumes you already have it installed on the fresh water tank side of the pump.

It won't protect the pump (being it's on the wrong side of the pump) but it will keep the fresh water tank from filling. Make sure you use a pressure regulator on your city water hose. (see below)

The built in check valve in the pump does two things by allowing water to flow in one direction but not the other.

1. It protects the internal parts of the pump from possible dangerous high pressures on the city water side of things for those who don't regulate their city water connection by checking off the flow of the city water to the pump (hence the name check valve) but also allows flow from the pump/fresh water tank to the rest of the units's plumbing when not hooked to city water.

2. It keeps the fresh water tank from filling when connected to city water.

In the scenario I mention for you to do above, your pump won't have protection via the check valve but if you regulate the city water connection 35-45 lbs. of water pressure, it shouldn't hurt the pump (short term) until you decide what a permanent fix will be.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #18

5picker, you have been so very helpful and thanks for the education. I wish my dealer had been as informative At the very least, they should have mentioned the arrow as you did. You've given some very good options. Whatever I decide will be based on this information you provided. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #19

5picker, I've decided not connect to city water. I'll use the pump to draw water from the fresh water tank. I'll continue to use the pump until it wears out and needs to be replaced. When a new pump is installed I'll have an external check valve installed as well.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Are you sure no one turned on the water pump while connected to city water?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank