Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #41

Ours went off 2 or 3 times one night last week when we were trying to watch a DVD
No Idea why,,, opened the door & turn the whole house fan on for a couple of minutes,,, all is well I guess ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #42

CO alarm

When my large dog lays in front of our alarm and pants, she sets if off. Did it twice before I figured out what was going on...
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #43

Two weeks ago I decided to remove the fuses for the c02/propane detector. I left the fuses out for ~5 minutes and re-installed them. So far, that seems to have fixed the issue. I was reading in the manual that the unit calibrates for ~1 minute while it is powering up. Since my batteries are always charged via solar it has never been reset since I added the new battery bank in early 2017. Some of y'all having the same issue might want to try that. It is easy to do.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1356 View Post
When my large dog lays in front of our alarm and pants, she sets if off. Did it twice before I figured out what was going on...
Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarior View Post
Two weeks ago I decided to remove the fuses for the c02/propane detector. I left the fuses out for ~5 minutes and re-installed them. So far, that seems to have fixed the issue. I was reading in the manual that the unit calibrates for ~1 minute while it is powering up. Since my batteries are always charged via solar it has never been reset since I added the new battery bank in early 2017. Some of y'all having the same issue might want to try that. It is easy to do.
A battery cut-off switch has the same effect, and has other practical applications on an A-frame (I don't have solar). The detector does go through a reset of some kind when first powered up.

I've always wondered if the internal clock on the CO/propane detector stops when all power is shut off, and extends the 5 year life of the unit.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (sold)
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (take delivery in a week)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #46

My factory installed detector was possessed. I replaced it with one I got for wally world, battery powered. Installed and all was good. Went on several trips, then all of a sudden it started going off. I noticed it would go off when I put the living room slide in. The upholstery on the drawer under the dining room seat would touch it and caused it to beep. I took it off and laid it on the seat for this ride home. Once home it was put back in place and we unloaded the trailer and I put the slide in to move trailer. Detector didn't go off. I put slide out and back in several times without it going off. Strange to say the least.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #47

T think Dust & whatever else is floating around in our air is a Big problem !!!
If you want to test your unit,,, just spray some Body Spray in your RV !!!
LOL !!!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #48
RML

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
I gave up on the factory detectors with the false alarms and purchased a First Alert generic detector. No more false alarms. Tested it by turning on two gas burners for about 10-15 minutes with windows and vent closed and it did then alarm as it should.

Thanks! Make good sense
RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
Thanks! Make good sense
It took 10 to 15 minutes to detect the gas ???

Old 09-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #50

Dog passing gas will trigger it
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #51

Partly as a result of this thread, I finally decided to just clip the wires of mine and switch to a portable CO alarm.
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #52

I replaced ours a couple of weeks ago,,,
Ours was 5 years old,,, no more false alarms !!!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
Partly as a result of this thread, I finally decided to just clip the wires of mine and switch to a portable CO alarm.
That leaves you without a propane alarm. Which to me is not an issue because my nose can detect a propane leak just about as well as the alarm. But you may feel differently about propane leaks.

And yes, I had a propane leak in my A122 A-frame. It was where the rubber hose from the regulator connected to the pipe under the A-frame. The union fitting was a bad casting with an internal hole. I was unable to find it with soap bubbles, but my nose could smell it. FWIW, because the leak was outside, the CO/propane alarm never went off.

Fred W
then 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
That leaves you without a propane alarm. Which to me is not an issue because my nose can detect a propane leak just about as well as the alarm. But you may feel differently about propane leaks.

And yes, I had a propane leak in my A122 A-frame. It was where the rubber hose from the regulator connected to the pipe under the A-frame. The union fitting was a bad casting with an internal hole. I was unable to find it with soap bubbles, but my nose could smell it. FWIW, because the leak was outside, the CO/propane alarm never went off.
I did consider the propane factor but am not very concerned about it for the same reason as you. I probably should go through all my fittings at the end of this season or beginning of next, though!
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
I did consider the propane factor but am not very concerned about it for the same reason as you. I probably should go through all my fittings at the end of this season or beginning of next, though!
If it was just me in the rig, the lack of a propane detector would not be a problem. However, family is a different matter. If we are sleeping, the smell might not wake us up in time.

If you're hooked up to electric, they do make several portable model that plug in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTQCXNW...il_aax_0?psc=1