Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

CO Sensor/alarm

Hello. I have a 2013 A122S, we bought it used and took it out for the first time. We were dry camping and had the propane turned on for the fridge and the stove. The CO Sensor/alarm kept going off to the point I had to pull the fuse. There is no evidence of a propane leak and I have no idea why the alarm goes off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

CO sensors require a certain amount of voltage to ensure they are working properly , or else they will go off for no logical reason....this is a safety issue, your battery is too low to sustain the load....therefore the alarm goes off
Your battery ..needs to be on charged all the time and most definately replaced.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
'Rubicon' Wooly

Hello....

Yes, if the battery is low, it will start to sound off with a slow steady beep. We were in the Smoky's last year, and it would go off, usually at 2 in the morning. Would pull fuse till we could turn on the generator to charge it up again. A212.

'Rubicon' Wooly..............O|||||||O
Wooly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Might be time to replace it if the problems continues. They usually last a little longer but it looks to be in the 5 year range. My TT is a year older and I had to exchange out the alarm about 6 months ago.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Also check the battery. If the battery was not properly cared for or improperly stored ( by previous owner) it could be damaged and not capable of holding a full charge. I would not sleep in an RV without a CO/Propane detector.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies/information, I think the battery is weak. Will have that tested first.
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey9 View Post
Thanks for the replies/information, I think the battery is weak. Will have that tested first.
Mine started going off on my last trip and I also found that the battery was low and now 3 weeks later my battery will not hold a charge and I am replacing it today.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
World Traveler Member

I installed a new battery a few days ago and it fixed my alarm going off!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

I have recently been getting what I think are false alarms, but I don't think it's due to low battery, because the sequence of lights and beeps from the alarm suggest it is a propane leak. I doubt that is the case, because I smell none of the characteristic odor. If the problem is low voltage, it could be because I seem to have a problem with one of the fuse terminals so it loses contact sometimes. Dealer is going to check it all out along with some other things, so I'll wait and see.

Has anyone else with a perceived low voltage problem looked at the light and beep sequence compared to what is in the instruction manual?

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
I have recently been getting what I think are false alarms, but I don't think it's due to low battery, because the sequence of lights and beeps from the alarm suggest it is a propane leak. I doubt that is the case, because I smell none of the characteristic odor. If the problem is low voltage, it could be because I seem to have a problem with one of the fuse terminals so it loses contact sometimes. Dealer is going to check it all out along with some other things, so I'll wait and see.

Has anyone else with a perceived low voltage problem looked at the light and beep sequence compared to what is in the instruction manual?
I've had 2 false alarms in 3 year's use of the camper.

One was when I started the hot water heater for the 1st time. Another A-frame owner said he had the same issue, but it never returned. The same is true for me - starting the hot water heater has never caused a repeat.

The 2nd false alarm occurred this summer. I don't know whether it was low voltage or something else. I hadn't yet plugged in and switched to AC on the fridge. After numerous resets (after plugging in), it went away. I didn't get a chance to measure voltage, as my wife was freaking with a thunderstorm starting up around us. I am installing a voltmeter on the microwave cabinet wall so I can check in situations like that.

When the A-frame was new, we had an external propane leak. The leak was from the metal casting where the hose from the regulator joined the metal pipe that runs under the trailer. The mechanic showed me the internal flaw in the casting that allowed the leak. We had smelled the leak (outside the camper), but it never set off the alarm.

The 5 year end of life on my alarm is marked as Sept 2018 - for a 2014 camper we took delivery on in April 2014. I guess 7 months before delivery really isn't too bad.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Black Hills and Custer State Park
next trip: Utah 5 national parks
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I've had 2 false alarms in 3 year's use of the camper.

Ahh. My "false" alarms have happened at seemingly random times (e.g. 4 am) when I am running the fridge on propane, which is usually the case. I guess it's possible there could be a minor leak.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #12

Hate to say this....but every once in while if someone/thing f@rts...it has gone off.

"OH MY GOODESS DON....WAS THAT YOU.?

Nope.... must have been that darn dog again - standard answer.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

My false alarms

It turns out the false alarms I posted about above were just that. The dealer said my detector indicated replacement needed, and the new one has not given me problems (yet).