Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
CO2 alarm

My CO2 alarm seems to go off every time I run the water heater.
Sometimes it takes a couple hours, but it happens every time.
I've gotten to the point where I only run the water heater for a short time just before hot water is needed. Other than that, it's off.

Any suggestions?

jpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
A couple of things to check; is the wind coming directly at that side of the trailer and preventing the exhaust from escaping? Also make sure the water heater vent isn't obstructed, wasps love to make their nests there. If that isn't the issue take it to a service center, CO is deadly and shouldn't be ignored.

Now if it's just beeping and not actually alarming, your heater is depleting your battery.

Some detectors are also propane detectors so you can check all gas line fittings with a sprayed on soapy water mixture. If the bubbles grow you have a gas leak and need to tighten or replace the fittings. Don't over tighten as Brass threads will easily strip out. Use a couple of wraps of Teflon tape around the threads.

As a precaution we always use the vent fan when operating any gas appliance.

2015 A122S
CJofWolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
The first time I used the hot water heater, the alarm went off. So I shut the hot water heater down. There happened to be another Rockwood A-frame at Lathrop State Park (Southern Colorado). We greeted each other, and I mentioned what had happened. He said his had done the same thing, and he was told to reset and try the water heater again. The alarm never happened again.

I went back to my A122, started the hot water heater again with no issues. And starting the hot water heater has never caused the alarm again.

I would first check the hot water heater vents and air flow, as has been suggested.

The A-Frame CO detector is a combination propane/CO/battery low voltage detector. Make sure you are getting an alarm for CO, and not propane or low battery.

Any CO alarm has a limited lifespan. The newest ones for home use claim 7 years with a non-replaceable battery. The model installed in my A-frame claims 5 years from date of manufacture (not installation) - whenever that was. I assume the clock started sometime in 2013, since my A-frame was made in March 2014. Others have reported problems with the propane/CO alarm well before the 5 year date, so not all units will make the 5 year life.

If nothing found with the water heater, and if your A-frame is 2013 or newer, I would think about getting a home battery-powered CO unit ($25 - $30), and using it as a side-by-side comparison. Or just replace the whole alarm (not sure of price).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote