Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Co2 Alarm

Got camper set up and suddenly c02 alarm and gas alarm started going off....loud...with both lights red...couldn't find a problem so finnally turned propane off. It actually came on the first time before I had even turned the propane on./ All I was running was air conditioner....any suggestions what to look for.

Wind blowing like crazy but beautiful day and beautiiful campsite view. Suppose to storm tomorrow. That's ok....got enough to do inside plus surrounded by friends camping.

Sent from my A500 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Is it the alarm on the ceiling or the one near the floor?

2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

just to clarify, it's a CO(Carbon Monoxide) alarm, not a CO2(Carbon Dioxide) alarm.

propane detector is powered by trailer battery and the CO alarm is regular AA or AAA battery powered.
so, both shouldn't have bad batteries at the same time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

We had that problem with our camper, freedom express 320bhds when I set it up after pickup. Found out there was a loose wire and battery wasn't charging. Was told it goes off if battery is low, no issues with games but was so pissed with laundry list of issues I put my fist thru the alarm. Dealer fixed everything no cost. Good luck

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

if it is the detector that is near the floor, next to the water pump/hot water heater switches ... this is the propane detector. if you battery is low, or in poor condition, this unit will start sounding if it detects a lose or too low voltage from the battery. If you were on 120 at the time it went off .. your battery is basically toast .. and needs to be replaced.

d-mo
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #6

This would have happened also if you turned on your furnace. You needed a surge of 12v power and the surge could not come from the converter, but would have to come from a charged up battery. Find out what is the issue with your battery and/or converter.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Made it home today around 12:00 noon. Had a great time. Pictures to follow. I turned the gas off when the CO alarm went off....the next day tried it again and the CO alarm went off for about 2 seconds and then stopped alarming and the lights went to green.

Not exactly sure what happened to seems to be fine now. Checked the battery and it's full charge and new.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

Propane will not set off the Co alarm. But whatever the problem, it is something that needs to be run down to eliminate a potential danger from either a leak or a malfunctioning alarm.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

Co2 Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
if it is the detector that is near the floor, next to the water pump/hot water heater switches ... this is the propane detector. if you battery is low, or in poor condition, this unit will start sounding if it detects a lose or too low voltage from the battery. If you were on 120 at the time it went off .. your battery is basically toast .. and needs to be replaced.

d-mo

My alarm just went off after cooking inside the screen tent. The alarm is from the one next to the water heater switch. I turned on the vent fun but after a few minutes the alarm keeps going. I turned off the main battery the alarm stop. Turn on the main power after a minute and the alarm went off again, turn battery back off. After several minutes, turned on the main battery and all is ok. Is this the only way to shut off the alarm, wait for the air to clear up? At least I now have a way to turn it off....

BTW I have a backup CO2 detector on the counter, it did not go off....
Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

if its not the battery ....

there is a reset button on the propane monitor ... just give it a push .. and the alarm will stop .. and both the green and red light will start flashing .. and if no propane is sensed ..then the red light will go out .. and the green led will remain ... to signify that it is monitoring.
this happened to me this past weekend while on an non-electric site....we where using a catalytic propane heater .... needless to say .. it ended up in the garbage at the campsite.
we did have an issue previously with the propane sensor going off ... when we where BBQing ... but found out that the line to the 5lb bottle was leaking ...the sensor went off even tho your BBQ was about 20 ft away ..
don't disable this unit ... it is a very good safety feature ...

d-mo