Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Camping Dude

Coleman stove hookup

Hi all,
Has anyone hooked up a coleman stove to the outside outlet for the BBQ quill? Is there enough pressure to run it?
Just trying to eliminate the extra tank. I really don't want to run another hose directly from the mounted tanks if possible.
Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

No
Your coleman stove requires hi pressure gas at the control knob (where the disposible tank connects) The control knob is the "regulator" You might check coleman may offer a low pressure (11" wc) conversion kit

Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Camping Dude

Thanks for the info
Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Don't bother. I tried everything to get gas to my coleman stove through the BBQ connection. I finally got it to work and it is not enough pressure for anything other than a weak flicker of flame. Probably because of how the Coleman stove is jetted.

I ended up with a great but expensive solution: I put an Atwood RV Cooktop in a frame, put a handle on it and now it's the outdoor stove. Works great.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
Our YouTube Channel
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Camping Dude

Thanks, looks like I'll just keep the extra tank
Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

we use an extension/adapter and a 10lb bottle for our weber grill .. that basically plugs the propane into the 1lb bottle inlet.

d-mo
Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

Coleman stove hookup

My over 20 year old 3 burner coleman stove stopped working in my last trip, got a 2 burner stove replacement and it did not work either. I was using a propane hose adapter to the big tank. I test using the small tank and it worked. The old stove maybe still be ok. Did anyone had a propane hose adapter problem and how did you fix it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1400003169.952729.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	52314
Ordered this one and it works fine with the new burner
Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone hooked up a coleman stove to the outside outlet for the BBQ quill? Is there enough pressure to run it?
Just trying to eliminate the extra tank. I really don't want to run another hose directly from the mounted tanks if possible.
Thanks

As others have stated, your coleman stove (and other brands) usually has a pressure regulator built into it. When you use the low pressure outlet on your trailer (which has been run thru it's own regulator), then there isn't enough pressure to run the Coleman.

What you have to do is:

1. Run a line directly from your tanks (or a distribution tree), then hook it to your stove...where the Coleman regulator will then make it low pressure.

2. Somehow take out the Coleman built in pressure regulator, then find all the fittings necessary to connect your RV's low pressure line directly to the Coleman stove (thus just utilizing ONLY your RV's low pressure regulator. This can only be done if the grills regulator and flame control aren't in the same control, which some are. I haven't really looked at my Coleman to see if they are built-in together.

Both can be done, but # 1 is the easier to do and find the parts for.

Low Pressure stoves like the RVQ, Camco Olympian, and similar, don't have a built in regulator, and are designed to operate directly from the RV's low pressure line.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Did anyone had a propane hose adapter problem and how did you fix it?
I kinda did with a low flame problem when I connected my Coleman NXT to a 20lb bottle instead of the 1lb disposable kind using a hose like you pictured.

What my problem ended up being was more with the stoves surge protection device and the amount of gas rushing thru the hose to the stove tripping it. I sent an email to Coleman and they sent me back this below. I now s-lo-w-l-y open the gas cylinder valve and also the stoves knobs, giving the gas time to equalize everywhere. This technique has seemed to have solved my problem.

The third is the operation of the surge protection device built into the grill's grill's regulator. All Coleman® Grills grills have the surge protection device. This device cuts the flow of fuel to the grill if a sudden increase in propane flow is detected. This is to prevent a large venting of propane if the hose or valve on the grill is damaged. This device is also activated if the burner valves on the grill are in the open position when the valve on the tank is opened. Always make sure the knobs are in the off position before opening the tank valve when starting the grill. If either one of the knobs are in the open position, the surge protection device will activate and the flow of fuel to the grill will be very low.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
Don't bother. I tried everything to get gas to my coleman stove through the BBQ connection. I finally got it to work and it is not enough pressure for anything other than a weak flicker of flame. Probably because of how the Coleman stove is jetted.

I ended up with a great but expensive solution: I put an Atwood RV Cooktop in a frame, put a handle on it and now it's the outdoor stove. Works great.
Will you post a picture of it and the m# and sn for it thanks

2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote