Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Considering buying Flagstaff classic 12 RBST

Hi

I'm considering purchasing an A frame camper. In the past I have had campers from large to small travel trailers and a few pop-ups. The A frame looks to be a happy medium. Not too heavy to pull, easy set up, and fairly roomy. I would like to hear any and all suggestions and/or comments. It seems as though it would be a good fit. Thank you!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Retread Popup Owner

How many will be camping with you? What will work well for 2 to 4 people won't work nearly as well for the Brady Bunch.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

There will probably only be 2 camping. Do you find it roomy enough? What do you know about the awning that is offered as an option?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Retread Popup Owner

There are two of us camping as well, and we do find it roomy enough. What we've been finding is everyone that tours it says the exact same thing. "Wow. It's much bigger in here than it looks from outside."

I don't know much about the awning, other than a few folks on here have it and are happy with it. The price tag scared us off. We're using an EZ Up style awning/screen room, and we're pretty happy with it. Here's our rig, set up this past weekend at Algonac State Park.

I stake each leg of the "awning" at the base. I also use dog augers and ratchet straps to hold it down so that I can feel comfortable with it in the wind when sitting that close to the camper. The one corner by the door, which can't be secured to an auger because of the pad, is ratcheted to the frame around the step. We had some pretty good winds blowing this past weekend, and it never budged. With the breeze we didn't have any bugs, so we didn't put up the screen room.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

I have an EZ up as well and plan on using it. Does cool cat do a good job at keeping it cool?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Retread Popup Owner

We had some very hot and humid weather, and the Cool Cat worked extremely well. The only issue is that it's at floor level. Cold air doesn't rise. The Cool Cat was blowing ice cold air, and the lower part of the camper was nice and cool. The air near the ceiling towards the peak stayed much warmer, and you'd feel the difference when standing up. We'll fix this easily with a fan to circulate the air.

For this past weekend we just opened the top vent a little and that seemed to help. The warm air escaping through the vent drew the cooler air higher into the peak.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

In pictures it looks like the cool cat is under the bed. If so is it noisy at night or a nuisance while trying to sleep? I'm going to the dealership this weekend to take a look at them. Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

I've only dry camped in mine.

But I can tell you that when parked at home, the cool cat does an excellent job of cooling during the mid-day Houston heat and humidity. It makes doing interior mods a pleasure in the summer and provides a respite when working on the outside. The cool inside is a great place to just contemplate the next mod (read "nap") when the honeydew list is threatening to grow.

What is that old song? "Only mad dogs and moders go out in the midday sun" Or something like that.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangcoach22 View Post
In pictures it looks like the cool cat is under the bed. If so is it noisy at night or a nuisance while trying to sleep? I'm going to the dealership this weekend to take a look at them. Thanks again for the info.
I was concerned about this as well, but I think needlessly. It's quieter than the overhead unit we had in our travel trailer. It's a little noisier on the outside of the camper, on the rear side by the Cool Cat. I'd guess it's no noisier than an overhead RV AC unit, and that it just seems louder because it's at ground level.

We felt only a minimal vibration to the bed from the AC. Rather than listening to the Cool Cat's fan cycle on and off each time the AC needed to kick on, at night we set the fan to "Low" instead of "Auto". Just some constant white noise from the Cool Cat's fan, and only a slight difference in tone when the compressor for the AC would kick on. It didn't wake me up even once over the four nights we camped. My wife's elbow when I was snoring is another thing altogether.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

That's good to hear! I'm in North Ga so it does get hot in the summer. I can't wait to see them on Saturday!