Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #21

I prefer to cook outside specially when I have the tent of the aframe set up. I do not have to break the bed to table during camping. I use the stove top inside as a counter:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1678692885.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	23005
As mentioned here for fire safety, I put the stove on the side counter of the rig, not to close to the tent

But having the stove inside is nice too, I could cook my food while waiting for my campsite or use it on rest stops during the trip.

Are we allowed to cook in rest stops or parking lot?
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #22

We cook nearly everything on our Traeger portable when camping. We traded our Traeger junior for the portable.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner all done on Traeger.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #23

ko777 - that is a great set up! You are really inspirong me to want to put my screen room up this year! LOL

burati1 - everything tastes better when cooked on the traeger! I didnt know they had a portable model! YUM-MEE!

Tamara

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #24

Handbuilder ... They sure do. Check out their website. We have a Texas Traeger at home and the PTG for camping.

Always get people "stopping by to say hi" while camping.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #25

We have never cooked inside ... however it is handy for boiling water for a coffee on a rainy day. For us .. camping is an outside experience .. so a foldable table is set up just outside the door, and all the utensils and plating are in a 4 drawer plastic tower. Meals are made on a Weber Q120, which can cook anything from full chickens, to grilled cheeze sandwiches ... its an awesome little Q.
Large mains like chili, stews,lobster dishes and even bread, are cooked in a alumium dutch oven ... so no needs for any oven for us ..

d-mo
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #26

We cook everything outside unless the weather does not permit. We setup a table, and even have coffee pot, and toaster there.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
BOTH! We have a great outdoor grill, "Volcano"... love cooling outdoors. All season camoing...enev whne it cold abnd wet.

But could not live without my 3 burner, full gas oven, stove... use the fire out of it! Use my inside stove more than I use my microwave. When ever we make a camping trip... we bake something in the oven at least once or twice. Biscuits, muffins, brownines, or a casserole.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #28

I guess we are the exception, we only cook inside with grilling outside occasionaly. Use the oven almost daily, we do use the crockpot outside, I love to cook but as a city girl,only inside!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
YAY! Way to go Pam!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #30

We will do preprepped meals and use the microwave but, for the most part we'll cook outside. Never used the inside stove yet.
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #31

Well now that I'm hungry, reading the above, I will throw my nickle in. We boondock 95% of the time. When we started some 34 years ago, we cooked over a camp fire. Now a days we use a BBQ to cook the meat. The better half uses the micro wave to bake potatoes. She will also use it to recook leftovers. The oven is never used. It does make a good storage area for pot and pans etc. I have 2 coffee makers. One used on hydro the other goes on top of the stove. We have a genny that is used for the microwave and coffee maker and whatever else my wife wants to use it for. We boondock but we don't deprive ourselves either.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #32

I am the camp cook; from the camp fire dogs, to BBQ burgers, to fast breakfast sandwiches, to dutch oven quiche, peach cobbler you name it, I've probably cooked it in the dutch oven or the fire. Now that the Roo 233s is on order, I will still likely do a lot of cooking outside, but will enjoy the ability to be able to warm up a nice soup or bake the cake inside with the gas range/oven rather than take the time to do it all in the dutch oven. Clean up should be a little quicker and easier now as well! I can not wait until my Roo comes in and it has only been 5 days since we ordered!
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #33

Just like a lot of others, we do most of ours outside if we can. Meat and potatoes are usually grilled on the campfire in the evening. But i am not afraid to use the stove or oven depending on the breakfast menu or weather. This past summer was a little different as we had a burn ban almost the entire summer and could not have a campfire so we finally invested in a small gas grill. We have used it a couple of times but I still love the smell and taste of the campfire.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #34

Crock pot is nice. Load it up in the AM, go do your thing, come back to camp to a hot meal. Chili anyone?
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #35

We often carry a "turkey fryer," which is just a propane burner built into a stand and a big pot. When there are a lot of us, we enjoy cooking a "low-country boil," also known as "Frogmore Stew."
This involves potatoes, kielbasa, corn on the cob, shrimp and sometimes oysters, boiled (and steamed) in water with lots of Old Bay and halved lemons. The ingredients are added in layers based on cooking time of the individual items.
The real fun part is at the end, when you drain the water and then dump the food on a picnic table covered with newspaper. Then everyone fills their own plate.
You guys in South Carolina already know all this, but I wanted to share with the others. You can go online and get recipes that are more useful than my general description. Best when you're at the beach and can buy shrimp right off the boat.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #36

I just bought a Forest River Flagstaff RS12RB and it came with a built in stove. Although Forest makes Flagstaff hard sided A frames that come with the in/out stove, mine is built in. I wanted that model but there was not an option on the stove. I prefer to cook outside, as I have always done, on a Coleman 2 burner propane on my picnic table. It's impossible to level the inside stove but I use ordinary door stops on my Coleman to level it up and it works perfectly. I would rather have the counter space than the inside stove, so I'll put a dish towel over the stove and use it as counter space. I think Forest River should have given the option!
Jim DiFazio...jjdcamper@gmail.com
PS
I'm a senior member(74 years old)
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #37

Hi Jim!

I dont think the Forest River A-Frame ever came with a removable stove?

(The Aliner Brand does)

re: FR A-Frame maker names - Like you, we also have a Flagstaff by Forest River - I think we are in the minority here, as most have the Rockwood by Forest River - but they seem to be the same with exception of interior fabric/flooring colors and exterior decal. I think its the matter of regional dealers being able to sell the same product within a certain mile radius...

...anyway, I do agree about the stove top counter space. I close mine up and cover it with a towel (or the placemats) when not in cooking use.

Being level with these hardsides is extremely critical to their set up...so no worries about leveling the inside stove - as long as your trailer is level, the stove will be too. :-)

Way to go with your recent purchase! Hope you'll share your adventures with us!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-07-22 13.24.32.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	23825   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-25 06.32.11.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	23826  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #38

We try to do all of the cooking outside. Usually in or on cast iron! Sometimes we even outdo ourselves!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #39

Reply to handbuilder:
Yes, Flagstaff has models with the in/out stove. (In fact, mine has the outside rail for attaching the stove and the propane outlet.) But I wanted the model I chose because it has a permanent queen size bed that stays made up while traveling. (The other side of the camper is a collapsible dinette that makes into a bed also.) And that model comes with a permanent stove. The models they have that have the in/out stove don't have the permanent bed.
I had a 1990 Flagstaff pop up and the set up/tear down and dealing with the canvas was just getting to be to much for me. I'm almost 75 years old (in March) so you know what I mean. The table is an in/out but I don't foresee using it outside as long as I have a picnic table in the campsite. And I always do as I only camp in State Parks that have water and electric hookups. My model runs the fresh water directly to the faucet rather than through a holding tank. I also wanted that feature because of where I camp. The camper has so many features that I like that I didn't have on my old camper. Scissors jacks, one minute set up/tear down, built in microwave, built in radio with three choices of where the speakers play etc. The only thing I don't like is where the outlets are. Two jammed alongside the mattress and only one at the dinette area. But overall, it appears to be a good design. I can't wait to try it out.
With your experience with your camper, if you have any tips for me I would more than welcome them. I'm always open to new ideas and helpful hints. Oh, for an awning, I bought a Wenzel 10 X 10 free standing canopy. It's always nice to have the picnic table covered and shaded. Also, I can cook outside without getting wet.
Looking forward to hearing from you and any others who read the posts with some helpful hints,
Jim
jjdcamper@gmail.com
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #40

I hear ya, Jim! The reason I bought the Flagstaff over Aliner was because it came with loaded, whereas Aliner would include at a cost.

My A Frame has a rail on the outside, above the propane line, which we use for the portable grill that came with the trailer. All A Frame models had this when I looked at them last year.

My model has a sofa that pulls out into a bed. It makes it nice because I dont have the cord issues others talk about. On the other end of my model is a dinette that also converts into a bed. I wanted open floor space and seating when I am not using the unit to sleep in. And it has the permanent stove...removable wasnt an option on any of the A frame style hard side pop up, at least not when I was lookong at them. Maybe they changed in 2013?

I carry 1-2 EZ up canopies for shade and wind/rain break for outside. I also love to pop up my fold out recliner and read my Nook or snooze outdoors with my dogs under the canopy while taking a breather from the day's activities. ahhhhh ZZZZZZzzzzzz

Back to topic - I would prefer outdoor cooking; space gets tight inside and cleanup easier outside than in. Microwave is used alot if we have electricity, otherwise its the grill. I am excited to try out our newly purchased portable Camp Chef Oven/Stove on the next outing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-02 10.59.48.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	23865   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-02 11.00.25.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	23866   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-02 10.59.16.jpg
Views:	113