Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

Here are photos of my screen. The first photo is of the entire screen. I chose to put the screen over the existing grill because I didnt wont to disturb the factory caulk. When the time comes that I might have to redo the caulk I will place the screen behind the grill and eliminate the aluminum bars that I added to hold the screen. You will notice that I primed and painted everything to match the existing trim. Every thing I used I got at the local hardware store. The aluminum bars holding the screen in place are 1x 1/8 cut to length and edges on the ends filed smooth. The factory screws that were holding the grill on were replaced with ones longer to allow for the thickness of the aluminum bars and screen. The screw holes in the aluminum bars were drilled at the same location as the factory holes in the grill so that I could reuse the existing holes. The second photo shows the size of the screen, just slightly over 1/8. It was galvanized steel, primed and painted to match. The third photo is of the upper right corner showing the over lapping of the screen and aluminum bars onto the existing grill. You can also the factory caulk that left intact.

My Tacoma does real good towing my a122s. According to the factory sticker on the inside of the door my a122s dry weight is 2038 lbs. That does not include propane, battery, water or anything else that has been added. It should be fairly close. Im probably about 2300 lbs. loaded for an outing. I have weighed the tongue at 334 lbs. Yes my truck has the v6 and tow package and I installed the brake controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCS-1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	65640   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCS-2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	65641   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCS-3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	65642  

2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Perfect OutAndAbout! This is exactly what I was looking for. I also did not want to mess with the factory caulking that was in place, This looks like a great mod that will eliminate the potential wasp entry points into the Cool Cat Heat Pump area without reducing intake airflow with the size of screening material you used. The pics tell a thousand words! Love it! Also thanks for the input on your Tacoma. I'm just starting to review between the Tacoma and Colorado so have a little work to do on this before making a decision. Seems like everyone is very satisfied with their Tacoma and towing capabilities.

Thanks you again for taking the time understand what I was asking and to share all this information. I appreciate it!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

Glad I could help.

Put away for the winter.
Now the long wait until spring.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
Old 11-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #14

A really nice looking mod.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #15

Thanks Tom.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
Old 11-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #16

Hey OutAndAbout,

I went out and purchased the materials per your input for this modification (1/8" aluminum screen material. 1"X 1/4" aluminum strips, longer screws, black paint, etc.) and was ready to start...............have to admit that after looking everything over, I went in another direction.

I instead peeled off the clear caulking that was on the outside of the Cool Cat vent, unscrewd the screws and removed the vent panel. I completed the following modification:

1. On the inside of the vent panel I removed the putty like weatherstrip/caulking cord. 2. Cut the 1/8" aluminum screen material to fit on the inside of the vent panel. 3. Secured the screen using black zip ties to the panel vent openings. 4. Purchased and used new (putty-like weatherstrip and caulking cord (Mortile Brand) and re-attached around the interior edge of the panel. 5. Reattached the vent panel to the camper using the same screws I took out. 6. Re-applied clear silicone caulking around the outside edges of the vent panel.

Fast and easy and looks like it did from the factory. I can hardly see the black zip ties and don't see the screen on the inside of the vent panel at all. I don't think air flow into or out of the Cool Cat panel will be an issue since I used the 1/8" screen material you suggested. No wasps inside the Cool Cat compartment any time soon and looks great.

I know you had stated you might down the road do something like this and if you do it is easy/quick and looks good.

Thanks again for your input. I probably would not have even attempted without your original input.

Best regards,

Big Red Camper
Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #17

Aluminum Screen

A quick thought on this guys - is there something out there that may be better than aluminum as far as alloys go for this screening? I was thinking possibly stainless steel? Also - where did you end up purchasing the stuff? A manufacturer - like this Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ or did you go straight to a supply house such as McMaster-Carr or grainger?

I was also thinking that a welded wire cloth may hold up better than a woven. Welded wire cloth is welded at the intersections whereas woven is simply wires that go over and under one another. I will look into the pricing of the welded vs. the woven and get an answer our here for ya...

Good Day.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #18

Saw your response. I know I said aluminum but I'm sure it is a light weight stainless steel material with approx. 1/8" openings. I was able to cut it with tin snips. It is not woven and is welded at each intersection. I just stopped by my local Ace hardware store and had them cut me off a piece a little larger than the back opening of the vent panel. It was very reasonable. I think only a couple of bucks. The back zip ties worked perfectly to secure the screen material to the back of the vent panel and hardle show up. Hope this helps.

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #19

If anyone is interested, here are a few pics of the screened in Cool Cat vent compartment that I mentioned in the earlier post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool Cat Vent Screen1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	65939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool Cat Vent Screen2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	65940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool Cat Vent Screen3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	65941  

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #20

Also nice looking Big Red.

So now the question is will that mesh size keep the wasps out?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, cat