Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Cool Cat Air Conditioner Bug Screen

Hello All,

I'm a brand new owner of a Rockwood 128S HS camper. I've already added bug screens to the refrigerator and hot water area. I'd like to possibly add a bug screen to the venting for the Cool Cat/Heat Pump air conditioner but not sure how to approach this. I thought I saw a video somewhere where someone showed how they completed this. Can anyone out there respond if they have a video on this or have any recommendations for this modification? I'm not 100% sure it is needed, but it looks like an area where lots of bugs could get into. Also want to make sure I don't damage the existing venting or void any warranty by this procedure.

Thanks,

Big Red Camper

Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Ive had my unit since the spring of 2011, and have never noticed any bugs or debris on the fins.
This unit is a heat ex-changer, have you ever seen bug screens on the home models??
Would you put a bug screen on the AC unit you have sitting in your back yard??

A little off topic but ... reading this makes me remember ...

My main concern with this unit is the drainage capabilities. The two little drainage ports on the lower outside of the Cool-Cat have a hard time draining when the unit is perfectly level ... and the inside floor hole does not facilitate draining at all.
What i usually do is when AC is needed, give the A122 a 5 percent decline to that side, and push a shim into the front and rear ports ... this lets out alot of condensation.
d-mo

Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Understand and appreciate your feedback D-mo. I'm not concerned about screening the unit itself as it has it's own grill like any air conditioner and bugs would not get into that. I think where the wasps, etc. could get into is in all the open space that surrounds the heat pump unit that is under the bunk. It looks like there is a lot of space in there that could hold wasp nests, etc. Again, I'm brand new to this so just trying to figure out what is what.

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Ok ... is this modification for winterizing the unit ... or just something that you will keep on the unit all year around.
Just from my experience, here in Ontario CA. there have been a ton of wasps, some that have set up camp in one the bay windows of the house .. but none of these little bugg-ers have ever made it into my A122.
Perhaps if you gave us your location, and even tow vehicle .. we could be more helpful.

d-mo
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

Was thinking of a permanent screen for this. Maybe I'm not understanding you D-mo. Not sure what type of tow vehicle or where I live has a bearing on my original question. I'm simply wondering if anyone has put some type of screen material on the venting that allows air in and out of the compartment where the cool cat heat pump resides to keep the wasps, etc. out. There is quite a bit of empty space around the cool cat where wasps could enter and build nests.

It looks like most folks have screened the water heater compartment, fridge compartment, etc. so wondered why not screen the cool cat AC compartment as well?

I was concerned that a standard mesh type screen material like on a patio screen door might restrict the air flow too much.

I do appreciate you attempts to help - just now not sure I'm communicating very effectively based on your answers.........

By the way I'm from Nebraska and drive a Tahoe for the tow vehicle.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

some people in northern climates put screens on furnace/fridge/water heater because of pests during the winter ... when the camper has been put away for 6 months of the year.

in summer we never restrict airflow.

most people who wish advice on these forums list the tow vehicles and trailers in the footer to help others understand the situation.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #7

The wasp problem on campers is mostly due to residue from burnt propane, Something that the Cool cat won't have.

I haven't looked at mine closely, but would be inclined to make a screen or cover that could attache while not in use but come off when getting ready to head out to camp. Something magnetic perhaps, if the grille is steel. or using suction cups.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #8

Big Red Camper, I'm like you, it looked like a good place for wasp. I will get some pics and info to you tomorrow about the screen I installed.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

Thanks much OutAndAbout. Look forward to your response w/pics. Did not think I could be the only one wondering about this since so many others are concerned about all the other entry points wasps can get into and the screening options used to fix those entry points.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

OutAndAbout - Just noticed you have a Tacoma 4X4 - I'm just about ready to trade in my Tahoe and I'm considering the Tacoma and the new 2015 Chevy Colorado. How do you find your Tacoma is in towing your A122? Do you have the V6 with the towing package? I'm pretty sure the 122 is similar in weight to the 128S I just purchased. Did you ever do an accurate scale check to ID the overall weight of your 122 and the tongue weight? I hear that I should not necessarily believe what is written from the manufacturer for weight and tongue weight.

Tags
air conditioner, cat