Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Cool Cat is Dead...Water Tank has a Crack...

So as a follow up to my last post about my cool cat (dual functioning A/C and heat pump) not being able to keep up with the heat, apparently it is indeed leaking. Almost two years old...does that make sense to anyone? It's in my 2012 Flagstaff T12BH.

Suggestions for options to replace?

And I'm curious if anyone else has had a problem with their fresh water tank. Ours developed a crack right at the "seam" (or maybe 'joint' is a better term) where the tank goes from shallow to deep (if you look at your tank it will make sense). Maintenance folks are saying replace the whole tank due to the crack being in a location that is probably not going to take well to a repair (as the crack would likely spread along the seam).

Ugh!
daveandmandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

I would not think a leak in the coolcat necessarily means replacement. That should be something that is repairable.

The water tank however, likely would benefit from replacement. You might try contacting FR about the tank and see if they'd authorize a replacement or discount a replacement since a seam crack may be attributable to a manufacturing defect.

I think the coolcat repair is likely on you though - but check your coolcat documentation and warranty. Generally the unit is a well respected product but not immune to problems, especially in an environment where road travel can always contribute to problems. (My own coolcat doesn't work in heat pump mode but since I have both electrical and propane backup for it, I don't really require the heat pump so have not yet had it looked at or estimated repairs.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

from previous posts that i have looked at .. you seem to have alot of problems with your camper ... sorry to hear that ..
our cool cat has been running strong since the spring of 2011. no cracks in the water tank .. however we never transport water to the campsite .. ever.
you will never repair the water tank . have it replaced ...
as far as the cool cat .. its not an air conditioner .. its a heat pump ... complete opposites .... recheck the thermostat.

d-mo
Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

ok .. sorry .. just re-read our post ... where the cool cat is it leaking ??

we have had no problems keeping cool . been in 115F with humidity ..and very comfortable inside ...

d-mo
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

The Cool Cat is made by Dometic under the Duo-Therm name. Call them for advice and service options. 800-544-4881.

Manual

http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/R...cool%20cat.pdf

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tank, water, water tank