Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Cover over A-Frame

Currently we have an ADCO cover that is getting tore up after 2 years. I was looking at a Home Depot ad and saw rectangle swimming pool covers. I read about them and they have UV protection. Plus they are a lot cheaper than a camper cover. I'd have to make a metal frame that would allow the cover to be rolled or folded back if I want to raise the roof. Or get fancy and make a wench system to allow the frame and cover to be raised.

Anyway, any thought about using a swimming pool cover to reduce the sun effect on these campers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Wave-8-Year-12-ft-x-24-ft-Rectangular-Navy-Blue-In-Ground-Winter-Pool-Cover-BWC740/203546708
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

I think you're complicating things too much. We store ours up, with just a small tarp over the peak to cover the bungees. If you prefer to store it down, cover it with whatever you feel will work and just take it off, fold it up, stash it away while it's up.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts. I was trying to get away for the overly priced Camper covers. Eventually I want to build a solid cover/roof. We just poured a slab for the camper and getting 30 amp line installed this week.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 10x17 portable garage with s zippered front opening and have been very satisfied and it is in a very windy area where 40-50 mph winds are not uncommon. I fastened the garage to the ground with 24” rebar
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 10x17 portable garage with s zippered front opening and have been very satisfied and it is in a very windy area where 40-50 mph winds are not uncommon. I fastened the garage to the ground with 24” rebar
I thought about getting one of those. Is it decent quality to last a while?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

The material is thinner than I wanted because we get snow up here so I purchased a heavy duty tarp to cover just the roof and secured it to the horizontal braces at the bottom of the structure.
There is another option I considered-it’s the same size but only has a roof but no sides to it, much like a carport. I’m happy with it for now and the steel superstructure will last quite awhile
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #7

Next time to HF, I'll take a look. The old cover is getting pretty tore up.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

We store ours up...

We store ours up, in our barn. It is covered with a huge tarp, we use long poles to get it over the peak, so that it doesn't catch and tear going on. We have a bird problem, even with the barn cats, so... must have it covered.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, cover, frame