Old 06-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

CPAP

Hi. We just purchased a Rockwood A212HW 2016. We are looking for options on running DH CPAP machine. All ideas welcome! Thanks for all the great information on this board, it's amazing!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Some run on 12V. That seemed like it couple be a problem for me while traveling without shore power available, so I bought a Honda generator.

That said, I did use my cpap on battery a few times while tent camping, but I'm not sure the tow vehicle would/could charge my batteries all the way while driving. I'm not sure how many nights are possible on battery.

2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

We use portable batteries so we don't draw on either the vehicle or house batteries. Mine is an xPower 600hd, either 12v or 120. DW has a 1 lb unit made spefically for CPAPs. Either lasts for about 2 nights and cost about the same originslly.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum, thepoms.

If you're dry camping, a CPAP used with the heated humidifier is a big drain on the battery. I get three nights from my new group 27 battery but the battery is drained further than I'd like it to be. On the fourth night, the voltage fall too low for the CPAP to finish the night. This is with a pretty efficient travel CPAP.

If you are taking along a home machine with senors and such, and need a inverter, then it may last only two nights.

The options seem to be to bring along an extra battery so one can be charged while the other is in use, or a small inverter generator that can recharge the single battery. Power use is quite solvable with minimal fuss, so don't let it stop you from camping.

The manufacturer of my CPAP (Aeiomed) had recently introduced a new model with a battery that would power the CPAP and humidifier for 8 hours, but has since ceased production of CPAPs entirely. I am on a search for a Lithium battery pack that has enough power for a full night with the humidifier but can be recharged by day from my TV. The idea is to separate the CPAP power supply entirely from the camper's electric system. So far nothing suitable has come to my attention.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

Thank you all!! Would either solar panels or a generator recharge batteries during the day to sufficiently run the CPAP each night! Our unit has a Zamp port in the side of the camper, but I'm not sure exactly how that works-still researching that.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

My DW uses a CPAP that runs on 12V. For dry camping our trailer has a charging station in it with a cigarette lighter plug so we bought a power cable made for the CPAP that plugged into the cigarette lighter plug and an extension cord to make it reach the bedroom. Hers has a humidifier and a heater and with the battery fully charged it lasted all night.

We have a 2000 watt Honda EU2000i inverter generator which we connected to the trailer via the power cable and a couple adapters that would completely recharge the battery in a few hours so we were good to go with the CPAP every night.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

yep ....
this is what im doing after really trying fix this issue with my particular situation ...
my resmed S9 has a DC converter available ... that i purchased, just recieved today .. and will be testing it on a Xantex powerpack 800 tonight.
I expect this to last 2nights ... as i have run the inverter to power the cpac, and only pushed one night, with a 50% drop battery power when the sun arises ... so thats not acceptable for me ...our next camping trip is this weekend, for 4 days ... dry.
now... i did install 2 very good group 27s ... and feel these will power me through for at least 5 days ... plus all the peripherals .. like waterpump .. lighting .. stereo ect.
what i added a few years back was an 80 watt solar panel .. that took care of all the trailer things ... but not the cpac ...
things to know ... humidification and heating hoses do take up alot of your reserve power .. so leave these at home ... i will be testing barebones ... cause i just cant sleep without the darn thing now ..
so .. i will find out this weekend how things go .. and report back ...

d-mo
Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

DK about solar. It depends on the draw of the CPAP, the size of the panel and the amount of sun.

Your ZAMP port is made for use with panels from ZAMP. There is a Zamp rep that stops buy the FR forum occasionally. Or you can try contacting him through his member page, Forest River Forums - View Profile: ZampSolar

My problem with solar is that for my CPAP, I want an affirmative answer to will I have power tonight, not a probabilistic with solar. But I don't dry camp much in the desert where the humidifier is absolutely needed. So I get by with the CPAP's rechargeable battery. The humidity in South East Texas is normally enough without adding additional water to the air. But still there are the occasional winter boondocking trips when it would be nice to have more power.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

My DH just added a "DC plug in" to the light over the sink (wired it into the DC power there) and found a DC power cord for my CPAP in his stash of "things that should be tossed but I might need someday." He rigged up the power cord so it had the right ends that are needed. We aren't often traveling for more than a day or two without electricity. I remove the humidifier when using it on DC power to save batteries. The rechargeble batteries available for CPAP's are very expensive and this solution was cheap!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
JAL

I got this a few years ago - actually have used it more at home when power goes out since we camp with a minimum of W&E.

http://www.thecpapshop.com/respironi...or-12v-battery

Have a 12 volt portable power supply that it plugs into or you can use the clamps and connect directly to a battery. My CPAP's 12 volt power option only runs the CPAP motor - it does not operate the heated humidifier. This is actually a good thing as it won't run down your battery as quickly.