Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Cracked roof

HI All,
I need some help and direction. I purchased a 2014 Flagstaff T12RB last week. I pulled it home and put it in the garage where it has been since the purchase. While getting ready to go on our first camping trip with it this weekend I noticed a spider crack on the roof. I did not notice this on the walk through when we purchased it as we concentrated on the interior and exterior hook ups. We never thought of looking at the roof and it started raining when we were completing the walk through so the dealer quickly folded the top down and we went inside to do the paperwork. I noticed the crack a few days ago. I contacted the dealer expecting to hear that it would be no problem to repair it under warranty. Instead he said it was not like that when I left the lot. He asked if I hit anything. He asked if a stone could have hit it. He wrote to me in email stating the following “The factory warranty covers damage the factory itself may have done during production that was not detected during their quality control process”,
It obviously left his lot with this damage and I failed to detect it, or during the 25 miles I towed it home it somehow cracked. Can someone direct me to the Flagstaff warranty page online. Is there any advice anyone can give me? Has this happened to anyone else? Can I contact the factory directly? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	39612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	39614  
Tom1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

Not sure of the number or website for flagstaff but it sounds like if you contact them they can take care of the issue for you. Sounds like the people at the dealer are real winners. I would hope flagstaff would be a little more lenient.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

Welcome to the site.

Sorry for your problem.

The good news is I think that is only cosmetic. The bad news it is like haveing a new car keyed.

I guess my next step would be ask the dealer for a name and phone number at the plant, or you could get a decal and paste it over the damaged area and go have fun.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #4

You can call Forest River directly. If you haven't mailed in your extended warranty agreement, now is the time to do it. If the dealer didn't provide the form, call FR and ask them.

The pop up group is 574-642-2640
The warranty department is 574-389-4600

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Site Team

That BS on your dealers part! Have them put that in writing. First I would ask for the store gm and see if you get anywhere with him.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I concur its bs on the dealers part.
It shouldn't matter if it happened at the factory, the dealership or on the way home......
Its under warranty!
In the meantime I'd be rethinking your dealer choice.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

What is on the inside directly beneath that crack?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #8

You have a second one at the bottom of the picture as well. Almost like a bad panel or something. Chances of having two rocks hit would be really rare.

Considering I have towed my 2014 A122S on some bad muddy/gravel roads and usually the roof is clean I would doubt it was a rock.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Take The Road Less Travld

Are you supposed to be able to walk on the roof? It almost looks like someone may have done it that way or dropped something heavy on it.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Nothing shows on the inside, it is just on the surface. The dealer is sending the pictures to the factory and will let me know what they say. The sad part is I really take care of my things. I specifically got a fold down trailer so I could keep it in my garage out of the sun, rain and snow. But when it has a defect like this you cannot keep it in optimal condition. I will wait to say what they say but if the dealer tells me Forest River will not honor the warranty on this I will go to Forest River myself.

Thanks all
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #11

This is how this ended. We stayed in contact with the dealer for five months. During this time they admitted this was a defect in the roof and should be repaired under warranty, and I have that in writing. However, for five months we received conflicting information from the dealer. Example, bring it in anytime at your convenience. Yet the next email would stat they did not have the parts to make the repair. We specifically bought this trailer as we could get it in our garage. We intended to keep it for a long time and felt garage storage would keep in nicer and in good condition so we did not want it sitting outside on the dealers lot while time kept passing waiting for the repair. After 5 months the dealer offered to take a roof panel off an existing trailer in his stock and replace our defective panel or give us a refund. We went with the refund as we had lost confidence in the dealer after 5 months of frustration. The next spring we bought an Aliner. I did not like the Aliner as well as my Flagstaff T12RB. I felt the Aliner was less value for the money and it was not made as well as the Flagstaff. So after a year with the Aliner I decided to return to the same dealer and buy the new T21QBHW. I contacted the dealer and talked to the same sales person that we had the previous year. He was going to call me back and let me know if they could take the Aliner in trade. He did call me back and much to my surprise told me that they would no longer do business with me because of the way we acted. I just went back and read all the emails. I acted firmly but professionally and increased my insistence on a resolution as time went by, but I never was rude or unprofessional and I am not going to be either now as I am not naming the dealer. I am glad to be back in the Forest River family but was greatly inconvenienced by having to go to a dealer about 60 miles farther away. Maybe I am better off not using this dealer. Anyway, I am happy to be back in a Flagstaff.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

I hope there is some way you can let the people in your area know to drive the 60 miles.
kinnikinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #13

is that crack on the front or the back of the unit ...
the crack is not cosmetic .. no cracks are .... this stuff is filon ...which is a less than 3 millimeters thick, is glued to a 1 inch of Styrofoam, then from the inside the tin interior roofing is again attached.
this has to be fixed ... and would follow other posters who suggest you contact forest river directly ... oh .. and if you havent done so .. send in your warranty card .. jj
d=mo
Old 06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

Your review seems fair. I think it is reasonable to post the name of the dealer that gave you trouble, if you prefer. After all we often name dealers with whom we have good experiences.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof