Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Creepy Experience

Just returned from camping at Turkey Point Provincial Park, nice campground well maintained and low traffic at this time of the year. Had a good campsite on a hill quite roomy decent mix of sun and shade. While laying in bed Monday night I felt something crawl across my arm I brushed it away thinking it was a mosquito when I felt something crawling on my leg I turned on the light to my shock there were all kinds of large black ants, very large ants running across the ceiling up the walls and on the floor literally too many to count. Talk about creepy I felt like I was in a bad B horror flick! Had seen some in the campsite during the day itís a very sandy area and I wasnít being pestered by them so I didnít think too much about it. By the time I left on Wednesday they had invaded the comfort station and the showers. Iím home now and Iím still trying to get them out of the trailer. Maybe my campsite wasnít a hill it was a gigantic ant hill. YUK.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

That would be not fun. I guess fumigation is in order.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Eww. Get some ant spray concentrate mix from a home improvement place along with a hand pump sprayer. Mix a concentration on the strong side and on arrival to camp spray anything that touches the ground, around the tires, jacks, stabilizers, power cord, anything that contacts the ground.

They won't cross that line.

To get them out if you don't want to bomb it just make sure that every bit of food, foodstuff, salt, pepper, everything is out. They'll go away shortly.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

The Carpenter ants hatch, spread and disperse this time of year.
I'd be doin' some fumin' too.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

One thing is for sure on my next trip the first thing going on my packing list will be ant spray before socks and underwear.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Think the carpenter ants were Union
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
Think the carpenter ants were Union
HEY!
They didn't do anything.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

we had a similar experience at sandbanks provincial park .. and im sure your familiar with this park ..
basically there was a major hatch going on of these ants and they went nuts in our outside tented picnic room .. we both freaked ..
but .. for your trailer ... i would not do anything .. you most likely rolled onto a hill... they got up into your trailer via the suspension/wheel and off they went.
take it home .. open it up .. do not apply anything ... and check from day to day ..
nothing is worse than a trailer filled with pesticides ...
basically the trailer is made of 2 inch pine, metal, fiberglass and plastic ..
not a big feed for an ant ... or whatever in my opinion

d-mo
Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
NELA

This is exactly why we, as soon as we're unhitched, leveled, chocked, X chocked and stabilitzed, spray a complete circle around the 5er, then spray an extra circle around ANY part of the 5er that comes in contact with the ground; tires, tripod, stabilizers, step support, awning poles.

We got a colony of "piss ants" (yes that's what they're called here in the south...others call them sugar ants) *on* our V-Lite while camping at a COE site in Texas. Took forever to get rid of them. They don't bite, they're just pests. They never got inside that we could see. They just kept appearing on the outside walls....lines of them traveling up the sides to the roof.

I can't remember the brand of the spray we use, but it's the type that has batteries in the nozzle. Just hold the trigger and it pumps out a stream of liquid insect spray.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
This is exactly why we, as soon as we're unhitched, leveled, chocked, X chocked and stabilitzed, spray a complete circle around the 5er, then spray an extra circle around ANY part of the 5er that comes in contact with the ground; tires, tripod, stabilizers, step support, awning poles.

We got a colony of "piss ants" (yes that's what they're called here in the south...others call them sugar ants) *on* our V-Lite while camping at a COE site in Texas. Took forever to get rid of them. They don't bite, they're just pests. They never got inside that we could see. They just kept appearing on the outside walls....lines of them traveling up the sides to the roof.

I can't remember the brand of the spray we use, but it's the type that has batteries in the nozzle. Just hold the trigger and it pumps out a stream of liquid insect spray.
I'm very aware of what a piss ant is and with all this rain we are having, ants are everywhere.

I'm wincing when I ask this, do you spray on the sides of the TT? I would hate to put anything on the gel coat that would stain. Even though I sprinkle ant poison around everything and spray the hoses and power cord, they will fall out of trees and still find a way in.

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote