Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Cross Country Trip

We are going to Yosemite and heading home east in mid June 2014 and considering Pulling our A Frame for our trip East either across Nevada via Route 6 & Route 50 then to interstate 70 east to Atlanta ----or 395 to190 to 160 to Las Vegas then 95 to interstate 40 to Atlanta . We never pulled through the mountains. We have a v8 large 4 wheel drive SUV tow vehicle. Has anyone any experience on either of two routes over the mountains? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rome

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

We are going to Yosemite in April. What campground are you in? We have a truck with a v8 and some pretty hefty mountains here in Arizona... Never had much issue pulling our Aframe.

Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #3

We pulled our A122BH over Sierras on Hwy 4 to 395 last summer, followed 395 south to 14 to 58 to cross back under the Sierras. Incredible country. Hwy 4 Ebbetts Pass is incredibly steep, incredibly twisty - hairpin turns, incredibly narrow, single lane sometimes....and cyclists sharing the road. Grover Hot Springs, Bodie SHP, Mono Lake, Mammoth Lake, Owens Valley, Lone Pine, Mt Whitney. Did I mention it was an incredible trip?

No trouble towing. We drive a E350 Ford van.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #4

No experience on those roads. But I have towed across the rockies with a Suburban that had the standard V8 option with no trouble doing 70 up the mountains when the road conditions allowed it. Set your TV in tow/haul mode and let it do its thing. That should eliminate the gear hunting that can cause tranny over heating. If you have a tranny temp gauge, learn the normal temperature reading then keep an eye on it just in case.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

Thanks to Tomcat, Carla and Pooneil

We will be staying five days at Summerdale camp grounds located about 3 miles south of Yosemite National park on highway 41.during the 2ed wrk of June. We will also be staying 2 days at Eshom camp ground in the Sequoia national park
for to days during first week in June ,

Thanks, Rome
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

Have a blast. It is sure to be memorable time.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #7

50&6 across Nevada is the loneliest road in the world. No signs of life and I told my wife that the cafes have to import flies to make people feel at home. It is a boring drive but perfect for hauling a camper. In Utah, access to I70 is easy. The trip up Salina canyon prepares you for the absolute stunning drive towards Green River.
If you have time, Arches NP and Moan are a short 40 minute drive from the interstate.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #8

Do Not take I-70 it will add hours to your trip. (Just kidding!)

First as you come into Colorado from the West and approach Grand Junction you have Colorado National Monument. It is worth a drive-thru that will add about a hour to the trip. They have a first-come campground in the Monument if you want to stop. Then as you continue on I-70 there is Glenwood Springs. They have a Hot Springs swimming pool that is great and parking for trailer (streets are a little narrow in town). Then there is the canyon as you leave Glenwood Springs (back on I-70). It has to be seen to be believed that they got a 4 lane road thru it. Now you are wondering how it could get any worst. Now come the mountains, tall and cover with trees and blue skies and then all the ski towns with all the shops. Going East the town of Dillon is just before the big climb to the mile long tunnel. Dillon is a good place to get gas if you need it and you can go down to the lake and rent a pontoon boat for a 3 hour cruise. Back on to I-70 for the climb but not to worry it is 3 lane to the top, with the far right lane used by 18 wheelers and people that have their mouth open still looking at the mountains. Now it is mostly down hill from here, Only one more stop to make at Silver Plume for the steam train ride that go down to Georgetown loop. Now it is clear sailing to Denver. Well you could get sucked into Black Hawk do a little gaming.

We tow with a small V8 with no problems in the mountains.
Have a fun trip.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #9

I just towed a Roo 183 with my 2006 V6 Pathfinder from Boulder CO to Zion NP and back. I'm sure your V8 will handle the A-frame without issue. (truthfully, there were parts of I70 in Utah that were tougher than I70 through Eisenhower Tunnel)

TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote