Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Custom Made A-Frame Awning?

Has anyone made or had made a custom awning for their A-Frame? I'm thinking of trying it with an inexpensive tarp to test size and fastening it to my camper. I have a new/unused awning/add-a-room, but don't want the hassle of putting it up. A simple roof attachment (Velcro) and 2-3 poles with guy lines, easy enough to take down before threatening storms or night before departure. Any good suggestions?

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #2

Hi Don
If you do a google search on "PahaQue A-frame awning" you will find pictures of the one that they make. It looks pretty nice and may give you some ideas for your custom awning project.
Joe in NH
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

I've thought that if I was ambitious enough to learn to sew, it would be possible to make a canopy using tenting fabric and a sectioned aluminum tent pole arched from side to side. With a tie point in the front for an anchor line that is staked in the ground and perhaps a air vent flap in the fabric to reduce the sail effect. As with my old popup, I am concerned about the sideways pulling in the A-Frame roof that would be needed to tension an unsupported canopy.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

I just saw a tarp attached to an A frame

in the campground, and it was a Kelty 12' tarp. One of the main ends was tied to the top of the A frame and the 2 adjacent loops were tied to the handles on the A frame just down from the apex of the A frame.

I asked the camper about it, explaining that I had an A frame, and liked the looks of what he had set up with the Kelty. He said it works very well, and they have various sizes.

The Kelty looks like the best of the "compromise situations", although some tie down places are needed, and/or poles. It can be modified for various situations, and I am checking into a purchase.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

I bought the "PahaQue A-frame awning" way to expensive. I have not mounted the mounts to the A frame. What I did was mounted them them to a couple of 2 x 6 cut 8 inches long drill four holes in the blocks. Works pretty well. Bought to 9 FT cabela expandable poles. Works pretty well with two support ropes. Will take pictures and post, next time I am out.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Wondering if I couldn't get something like this to work, removing the bottom and attaching to the camper somehow...Then I wouldn't have to have any guylines going to the ground.

Rio Beach Sun Shelter
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

You would need to do some reinforcement inside the camper itself and make sure you caulked it well on the out side. That is the major problem with using theis on a flagstaff. Not enough reinforcement behind the walls. Why I went with what I did.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, awning, frame