Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #51
Mostly Harmless
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I noticed the new A-frames have a pedestal. While I like the size of the table, I don't like that it's tipsy. I'd like to modify my current table to a pedestal, is this relatively easy to do?
Quite easy. All you need is the right length post (they come in two or three lengths) and two pedestal flanges. A parts shop at just about any RV dealer should stock them, but you can search online too. The ones I bought didn't come with screws so I had to get them at a hardware store. The main thing to be careful of is that you attach the top flange to the table at its center of gravity (balance point), then position the floor flange so that the table is where you want it when set up. When I converted my table I attached the table flange first, set it on the post, set the post in the bottom flange and jockeyed it around to where I wanted it, then drove in the screws. Literally about a five minute job. If the screws will fully penetrate the floor, check underneath first for clearance from gas lines, wires, plumbing and tanks. Done! You may want to put some sealant where the screws come through, if they do.

Your table will still be somewhat tipsy. You can't make it completely rigid and still have it come apart for packing down. I've learned not to lean on the table when getting in or out of the the dinette area.

Here's basically what I used, though I didn't get the parts on eBay. The price is about half what other places are charging, though:

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote